PDA

View Full Version : Urgent

kaiweiler
02-21-2004, 12:48 AM
Okay, here goes!
I just added a second HD to my comp and it was working fine. So, now I have one 80gb connected via SATA and one 30gb connected via IDE, both set as masters (because they are on 2 different channels)
Now! this was working perfectly fine, untill I shutdown my computer. Now when I start it up, I get one of two messages
1. Verifying DMI Pool Data.......
NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
OR
2. Something about unable to find bootdisk, not sure bout that one.
Okay, I get message 1 when I have both HDs connected
I get message 2 SOMETIMES when only the SATA drive is connected
and if I get message 2, then I nudged one wire coming from my PSU and it loaded fine, still with only the SATA HD connected though. As if there was a loose connection or something.
My OS is installed on my SATA drive, so I think my PSU may have a loose connection somewhere, and that is why it sometimes cannot find Bootdisk, which is the HD I would boot to, but when wire is nudged or moved, it can find it and all is well, except my other HD cannot be connected at all for it to load
I am completely at a loss about message 1 though!
can anyone PLEASE help me out?? This is URGENT!

Kai

Peerzy
02-21-2004, 12:55 AM
is the 30gb hard drive formatted? is it new or did u get it 2nd hand? is there something on it (a virus maybe something like that) that wod stop the pc from booting?

kaiweiler
02-21-2004, 12:58 AM
nope it's formatted
it's an old one i took out of an older computer of mine, but I formatted it and it USED to work in my new comp with the other HD as well, UNTILL i shutdown! I reformatted, put on all my tunes, browsed for a bit, shutdown, whamo, no boot

Peerzy
02-21-2004, 01:06 AM
to be honest im not much help, but something i would cheak is that theres no compatablilt with the SATA connected drive and the IDE drive, i dont have a SATA drive but i know what they are.

Im not sure, should all hard drives be on one channel cause mine are, but there both IDE. like i sed b4 im a n00b at hard drives just seeing if u slipped up along the way somewhere ;)

either a loose faulty connection somewhere.

the PSU hasnt got enought power maybe?

or a conflict

or something im to stupid to know about

:blink:

have you checked the BIOS, it pickin up both drives perfectly?

clocker
02-21-2004, 01:10 AM
Read this (http://www.techimo.com/forum/t37563.html)

Peerzy
02-21-2004, 01:14 AM
wow clocker you dont seese (i dunno how to spell it but thats how its said :P ) to amaze (damm my dumb ass spelling)(did i spell ass wrong aswell :blink: )

:rolleyes:

kaiweiler
02-21-2004, 01:16 AM
Im not sure, should all hard drives be on one channel cause mine are, but there both IDE. like i sed b4 im a n00b at hard drives just seeing if u slipped up along the way somewhere
nope they can be on different channels with no problem, they just both have to be masters on each channel, which mine are.

have you checked the BIOS, it pickin up both drives perfectly?
yup, both are recognized

@clocker, so the only way is to reformat?! and which HD must I reformat? I really would prefer none ;)

callum
02-21-2004, 01:21 AM
I had the same problem when I tried to have my OS on my sata drive, the only way I could get into windows was if I left my XP cd in the drive while starting up, no matter what I did, I never did solve the problem.

kaiweiler
02-21-2004, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by callum@20 February 2004 - 21:21
I had the same problem when I tried to have my OS on my sata drive, the only way I could get into windows was if I left my XP cd in the drive while starting up, no matter what I did, I never did solve the problem.
hmm not what i wanted to hear
should i bother getting a new PSU? mine is quite new and came with my enermax 3051 case. but apparantly nobody thinks it is the psu anyway, so would it be a waste? and do i really HAVE to to reformat?! blah, i hate this

EDIT did a search on my comp for ntldr and found a file called ntldr in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386, if it is there, why does it say it is missing!?

Spicker
02-21-2004, 01:30 AM
:lol: go in to ur bios and chek ur boot sequence make sure the drive tht has windows is te first one on the list

Peerzy
02-21-2004, 01:31 AM
well seeing as you only just got the ide drive and all its got on is tunes just formatt that, because it didnt seem to take you long to put all the (perfectly legal :P ) tunes on there. mind you there maybe be a way around it but i dunno it. Whenever something goes wrong on my pc i pay some fat man to fix it for £20 ;)

i spose im not really helping much so im gonnas top posting here :rolleyes:

:(

B_U_B_B_A
02-21-2004, 01:32 AM
in the boot sequence try setting it so that the only device it trys to boot from is the sata drive (SCSI)...remove even optical drives from the menu as well...that worked for me anyway

e.g. 1st boot device = scsi
2nd boot device = disabled
3rd boot device = disabled

and make sure u dont have a floppy left in the drive

callum
02-21-2004, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by kaiweiler+21 February 2004 - 00:26--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kaiweiler @ 21 February 2004 - 00:26)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-callum@20 February 2004 - 21:21
hmm not what i wanted to hear
should i bother getting a new PSU? mine is quite new and came with my enermax 3051 case. but apparantly nobody thinks it is the psu anyway, so would it be a waste? and do i really HAVE to to reformat?&#33; blah, i hate this

EDIT did a search on my comp for ntldr and found a file called ntldr in C:&#092;WINDOWS&#092;ServicePackFiles&#092;i386, if it is there, why does it say it is missing&#33;? [/b][/quote]
Have you tried booting with your XP cd in?
If you are going to reformat make sure you have the sata driver on floppy, so that you can install them before installing windows.

There was a very good thread on this problem on another forum, I found it while trying to fix my problem. I can&#39;t seem to find it now. :(

You might have better luck if you try googling for booting from sata drive problems or something similar.

In the end I just gave up and now just use my sata for storage.

kaiweiler
02-21-2004, 01:39 AM
go in to ur bios and chek ur boot sequence make sure the drive tht has windows is te first one on the list
did that already

well seeing as you only just got the ide drive and all its got on is tunes just formatt that, because it didnt seem to take you long to put all the (perfectly legal&nbsp; ) tunes on there.
it didn&#39;t take long because I just had to move them from my other drive *when both were working* but now i can&#39;t load with both working again, so I would lose about 1000+songs if i formatted

Also I would be perfectly happy to just try using both on IDE, if one wasnt 4500rpm, which would slow down my 7200rpm drive a lot, so I am not doing this

kaiweiler
02-21-2004, 01:55 AM
Alright&#33; I&#39;m gettin somewhere
I have both HD&#39;s loaded and working fine now
I have my 80gb 7200rpm drive, w/ my OS loaded on it connected via IDE
I have my 30gb 4500rpm drive, w/ tunes on it connected via SATA (I know it&#39;s kind of a waste of a SATA drive)
It works fine like this, yet I kinda feel like I should have my bigger faster drive connected via SATA, and not my smaller slower drive with just music on it. I have this:
http://www.mittoni.com.au/catalog/images/IDESATA.jpg
but when I have the 80gb connected via SATA it won&#39;t load, am I going to nitice any difference between having my 80gb connected via SATA or IDE? cuz if I won&#39;t notice the difference, I will leave it as it is, since it works fine like this....so far

B_U_B_B_A
02-21-2004, 02:01 AM
did u try removing all boot devices except scsi from the boot sequence

kaiweiler
02-21-2004, 02:03 AM
yes, and that works, but that only works when i have the SATA on my 80gb and the 30 gb is NOT connected

B_U_B_B_A
02-21-2004, 02:07 AM
are both drives ide versions and your just using that convertor to turn one of them into a sata drive? if they are both ide then i dont think it will matter which one u connect to the sata channel

did u ghost the image of your windows install from the 30gb to the 80gb or vice versa? when u upgraded

edit: Microsoft Knowledge Base (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314057)

kaiweiler
02-21-2004, 02:13 AM
are both drives ide versions and your just using that convertor to turn one of them into a sata drive?
that is correct

did u ghost the image of your windows install from the 30gb to the 80gb or vice versa? when u upgraded
I did not upgrade, all I did was add another HD to my comp to store my tunes on

if they are both ide then i dont think it will matter which one u connect to the sata channel
if this is correct then my problem may be fixed, can someone varify this please? not that i dont trust you BUBBA, It&#39;s just good to always get a confirmation

here is part of a screenshot from aida32
Image Resized
[img]http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/hddmaybefixed.JPG' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'> ('http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/hddmaybefixed.JPG')
it looks okay to me

B_U_B_B_A
02-21-2004, 02:26 AM
how about benchmarking the 80gb drive when connected via ide then when connected to sata and c what the difference is

have u tried removing the jumper from the sata drive because sata drives dont actually need them i dont think

kaiweiler
02-21-2004, 02:27 AM
Okay, I will try benching it, do you know a good utility for me to do so?

B_U_B_B_A
02-21-2004, 02:31 AM
sandra has a file system benchmark

kazaa2002
02-21-2004, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by kaiweiler@21 February 2004 - 00:48
Okay, here goes&#33;
I just added a second HD to my comp and it was working fine. So, now I have one 80gb connected via SATA and one 30gb connected via IDE, both set as masters (because they are on 2 different channels)
Now&#33; this was working perfectly fine, untill I shutdown my computer. Now when I start it up, I get one of two messages
1. Verifying DMI Pool Data.......
&nbsp; &nbsp; NTLDR is missing
&nbsp; &nbsp; Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
OR
2. Something about unable to find bootdisk, not sure bout that one.
Okay, I get message 1 when I have both HDs connected
I get message 2 SOMETIMES when only the SATA drive is connected
and if I get message 2, then I nudged one wire coming from my PSU and it loaded fine, still with only the SATA HD connected though. As if there was a loose connection or something.
My OS is installed on my SATA drive, so I think my PSU may have a loose connection somewhere, and that is why it sometimes cannot find Bootdisk, which is the HD I would boot to, but when wire is nudged or moved, it can find it and all is well, except my other HD cannot be connected at all for it to load
I am completely at a loss about message 1 though&#33;
can anyone PLEASE help me out?? This is URGENT&#33;

Kai
Kai, read the info on this link, it may give you some help
on the first issue.(ntldr is the loader for the operating system)
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

on the second issue, it just sounds like a connection/ hardware problem
just carefully unplug parts and reinsert them...maybe some connector is
just not seated exactly.get sata working first (os), then connect other drive after
you get system up.

take your time,let us know how you are progressing. :rolleyes:

delphin460
02-21-2004, 03:09 AM
i agree , the nt thing is a conflict where the bios cant find where to boot windows from, this is also related to your h/d problem

the fact is your sata drive and ide drive are conflicting, causing both problems, depending on what you want, i suggest the following

1. remove the ide drive and restart with just the sata, partition and format the sata and install windows, get windows working 100%

2. having windows on the sata is the way to go as its faster read write eg faster windows

3. stick cdroms dvd ect in the ide bus 0 in master / slave mode

4. stick the ide h/d as ide bus 1 slave, as you will just use this h/d for backup and it will be seen there

this should work, i seem to remember that the motherboard you mentioned had some issues with sata and ide but im pretty sure this will fix it for you