PDA

View Full Version : Linux Compiling Kernel

LSA
02-21-2004, 04:49 PM
I was looking in /boot and saw a .img file named with my old kernel. I was wondering how I make one of those for my new one.

I haven't edit grub.conf yet.

I also have a question about modules, how do you compile them?

The tutorials I have read are old and don't seem to work.

I have bzImage done and System.map-2.6.2, all I need is that .img and maybe the modules once I find out what they are.

shn
02-21-2004, 06:42 PM
Modules are bits of code that can be loaded and unloaded into the kernel at your discretion. They extend the functionality of the kernel without the need to reboot the system. For instance, one type of module is ntfs support which allows you to have read support for ntfs files system. Without modules, we would have to build monolithic kernels and add new functionality directly into the kernel image. You can add more modules if you recompile your kernel. just dont for get to do a "make modules", and "make modules_install", after you make your zimage, or bzimage. It's much easier to find a kernel module for your distribution that way you can just install it by rpm, deb, or source.

I dont know what your using as a guide to compile your kernel but it is not sufficient because compiling a kernel is not hard at all once you read the documentation. Try the official docs at http://kernel.org

You should have selected or added modules already with menuconfig. If you didnt then you just have a bare kernel which is almost useless. If you used menuconfig and already made the image then make and install your modules.

LSA
02-21-2004, 06:56 PM
It only compiles the modules you select in config, right?

I was doing a 'make modules' yesterday and I had to turn off the puter, it's ok to just do a make modules again right? It just picks up where it left off? :unsure:

Here is what I have in /boot right now.

[root@localhost loren]# ls /boot
boot.b kernel.h module-info-2.4.20-6 vmlinux-2.4.20-6
chain.b lost+found os2_d.b vmlinux-2.6.2
config-2.4.20-6 message System.map vmlinuz
grub message.ja System.map-2.4.20-6 vmlinuz-2.4.20-6
initrd-2.4.20-6.img module-info System.map-2.6.2

I've read the kernel.org documentation and I didn't see anything about a .img file, so do I need it?

First time compiling kernel :lol:

shn
02-21-2004, 07:35 PM
Dont start where you left off just try and start over. And yes, only the modules you select. Compilation of a kernel can take hours. NEVER turn your box off :angry:

I boot all my kernels from floppy. I have never used lilo or grub and because you do you will have to edit lilo or grub. I think you can edit thoose a lot easier with linux conf.

I suggest you read a little more documentation. Compiling a kernel is not something just to be done so you can say you did it. It's something you want to learn on your own so that when you have to do it again you will be famimiliar with it and in case you want to recompile it it will be a breeze.

Personally. I am in no rush to install the 2.6 kernel. I have explained in some other topic the release structure of the Linux kernel. The 2 is the major version number of the kernel, and the 6 is the minor version number. With the Linux kernel, an odd minor version number denotes an unstable development kernel. Once the unstable kernel is fully developed by the kernel developers, it then becomes stable kernel. It is at that time that the minor version number changes to an even number.

Therefore I am fine with using a 2."4" kernel. Although I am an enthusiast as Im sure most linux users are, I am a patient enthusiast. I like to see what happens and the 2.6 kernel has not been out long enough for me. Some people still run a 2.2 kernel. For you may feel differently, which is why I would hate to give you bad advice when I have no experience what so ever with 2.6 kernel. And there are many diffrences between the 2.6 and all other previous kernels

If all else fails then just recompile your old 2.4 kernel so that it suits your system.

When I get a chance to look at 2.6 kernel. You will be the first one I help :P

LSA
02-21-2004, 11:40 PM
Mommy made me turn it off! :ph34r: :lol: I tried to explain how important it was...:lol:

*Play the rocky movie music*

I'll read some more doc's and start over. Just take the .config and stick it into the new unpacked kernel?

i found some stuff about the .img file in /boot:

From Redhat (http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/s1-kernel-initrd.html)
From a kernel howto (http://24.221.230.253/HOWTO/kernel-howto/create_initrd.html)

I probably have more in the 70mb of Linux documentation! :o

shn
02-21-2004, 11:57 PM
I did not know you were using Red Hat. You will be ok. There is an abundance of red hat documentation for kernel compilation. When I get time I'm going to compile 2.6 on my test box :) I let you know how it turns out :smilie4:

LSA
02-22-2004, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by shn@21 February 2004 - 17:57
I did not know you were using Red Hat. You will be ok. There is an abundance of red hat documentation for kernel compilation. When I get time I'm going to compile 2.6 on my test box :) I let you know how it turns out :smilie4:
Thanks shn. http://www.mcbriens.net/liam/img/smilies/thmbup.gif :)