PDA

View Full Version : Best Steps Against Fragmentation?

Money Fist
02-24-2004, 12:13 AM
what are the best ideas for preventing fregmented hard drives?

i think a good idea is to split your hard drive into 3 partitions

1st for system files (windows) i say 2.5gigs

2nd for swap file (swap files are big fraggers) i say 1gig (also depends on RAM)

3rd for files, games, mp3s & what ever the rest of the space left

any thing u guys wanna add
or any better ideas?

tesco
02-24-2004, 12:37 AM
first off i like the system partitioon bigger than that, say maybe 5-10gb, and i install just general apps like office, firewall, msn messenger, kazaa lite, defragmenter etc.

then i would make the 1gb swap file partition. but you are wrong abou teh fragmentation, if you set it at a fixed size (ex. i use 300mb at the moment so 300min and 300max)then it does not get fragmented becuase it is not constantly changing the size.

then i make my final partition which is the rest of the drive for all my media stuff and games and setup files for smaller programs that i dont burn to cds.

Triadcool
02-24-2004, 01:31 AM
first off i like the system partitioon bigger than that, say maybe 5-10gb, and i install just general apps like office, firewall, msn messenger, kazaa lite, defragmenter etc.

then i would make the 1gb swap file partition. but you are wrong abou teh fragmentation, if you set it at a fixed size (ex. i use 300mb at the moment so 300min and 300max)then it does not get fragmented becuase it is not constantly changing the size.

Yes, I like that idea to. ;)

h1
02-24-2004, 05:52 AM
Fragmentation will always happen, there's no way to stop it.

ck-uk
02-24-2004, 07:03 AM
Not exactly true mate ,on an active partition ,yeah.Besides hes asking ways to Prevent fragmentation.

Yeah mate with what you're already doing ,I always have a working partition for al my general messing around and daily stuff.And also for downloads.None of the other drives or files get touched then ,rarley :)

Nightwolf
02-24-2004, 11:54 PM
How to prevent fragmentation:

1. Never delete any files from your PC.

2. Never create any new files on your PC.

3. Never download anything from the Internet, including email and web pages.

4. Never use a program that caches files to a Temp folder, like Winzip, WinRAR, Nero, ACDsee, Media Player, and just about every other program out there today.

In other words, there is no way to avoid it. The best you can do is Defrag a couple times every month and learn to live with it.

100%
02-25-2004, 04:24 AM
ODE TO DEFRAG

Originally posted by Nightwolf@25 February 2004 - 00:54
1. Never delete any files from your PC.

2. Never create any new files on your PC.

3. Never download anything from the Internet, including email and web pages.

4. Never use a program that caches files to a Temp folder, like Winzip, WinRAR, Nero, ACDsee, Media Player, and just about every other program out there today.

I have tried
but i failed

i need master to teach me the way of the NonFrag

http://tipestopes.art.pl/fot/ghost.gif

Wolfmight
02-25-2004, 04:53 AM
My Hardrive setup:

1 For Windows and important stuff like Zonealarm -n- Norton (only 4 gb)
1 For My Documents (only 60gb)
1 For Software, Games, etc (only 76gb)

I have 2 hardrives includeing an 80gb and 60gb.

I can quickly defrag my Windows partion to instantly gain most of my systems potentional to do other stuff. I've waited like 3 months before defraggin and the Windows partion still didnt take too long, whilst giving me a major speed boost.

I defrag the other partions when Diskeeper reports them as system slowdown.

I've tried Diskeeper (latest version) and Perfect Disk (latest version).... and have to conclude that Diskeeper is waaay better. Trust me, even if your very skeptical about 3rd party defraging programs, Diskeeper will really prove to your likeing.

As for the windows xp defualt defrag program, that is the least favored.

peat moss
02-25-2004, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by haxor41789@23 February 2004 - 21:52
Fragmentation will always happen, there's no way to stop it.
Your right so download a program like diskeeper never look back B)

Nightwolf
02-25-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Zedaxax@24 February 2004 - 23:24
i need master to teach me the way of the NonFrag

Ahhh, you will learn Grasshopper. Confucius say, "Best way to avoid Fragments is never turn PC on."

:ninja:

shn
02-25-2004, 07:05 PM
Just use Linux. :-"

It never needs to be defragged..............ever.

nanotek
02-25-2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by shn@25 February 2004 - 19:05
Just use Linux. :-"

how does that work then ? dont u do filesharing :o even if ya use linux and dl stuff the disk gets fragmented or am i wrong on that point ?

shn
02-25-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by nanotek+25 February 2004 - 13:40--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nanotek &#064; 25 February 2004 - 13:40)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-shn@25 February 2004 - 19:05
Just use Linux.&nbsp; :-"

how does that work then ? dont u do filesharing :o even if ya use linux and dl stuff the disk gets fragmented or am i wrong on that point ?[/b][/quote]

ext2 and ext3 partition types do not need it. They were actually designed so they would not need be defragged. You can leave a linux box running for months and still not have to. As long as you have a few hundred megs of free space you can kiss your defrag days goodbye.

And yes I do just as much filesharing in linux as you probably do in windows. However, that actually has nothing to do with it. :boxing:

Robert00000
02-25-2004, 08:56 PM
I get a lot of fragments on my hard drives, especially the one i use to record tv progs, because i do that a lot.

Its 120 gig and would take for ever to defragment after a month of use, so i just reformat it instead :D .

Money Fist
02-26-2004, 10:35 PM
reformat
yikes&#33;&#33;&#33;

why didnt M&#036; implement a type of non frag file system

i wouldent mind swapping a bit of HDD performance
for non fraggin

and im sure defraggin wares and tares HDD
(that head moving back and forth for the duration of the defrag)

my defrags can last upto 2days :ph34r:
(thats on my 10gig hdd too)

supersonic
02-27-2004, 05:43 AM
mine takes from 3min-30min max. I have 40GB HD. I dunno..You guys probably download 100 progs each day maybe.