PDA

View Full Version : Thinking About Getting A Laptop

shamoneMF
02-24-2004, 07:35 PM
Hello All

Im planning on spending around £1000-£1200 on a pc. From previous threads I see dell would be a good choice would you agree?

My main question is about this centrino technology, does it mean you can connect to the internet without cables?

If yes, how does it work (ive heard of hotspots but what about in the home/office), How do I suscribe and is it broadband?

Help would be superb as I really dont know alot about this.

Thanks in advance :)

PS I live in Scotland UK

Livy
02-24-2004, 08:37 PM
hto spots are areas where u can acces wireless points. like cafes etc, im sure my uni has one (edinburgh)

and its only certain areas, to get it in your house u would need to get a wireless acces point. and broadband

Mad Cat
02-24-2004, 09:05 PM
A laptop with any CPU and a wireless network card can connect to a wireless routher thats attached to a hardlined PC. This PC would need to have the internet for you to share internet on the laptop too.

shamoneMF
02-24-2004, 09:13 PM
thanks a million for the help

any recomendations on laptops? i hear dell are good. I take it in most parts of the world you could hook up to the internet through a mobile phone on a laptop?

tesco
02-24-2004, 10:25 PM
dells good, alienware is also good. they look really kool and have good performace but are expensive so if you want a good cheap laptop go for the dell.

Livy
02-24-2004, 10:31 PM
compaq is quite good, i got mines last year f http://www.dabs.com and its been fine. :D £700