PDA

View Full Version : Aborted Uploaders?

CocoColaNut
02-24-2004, 09:58 PM
:huh: Hiya
I have 2 hard drives and I had installed Kazaa into my 2nd personal hard drive,
I configured all my options including my shared folder to be accessed by other members. When I click on "My Shared Folder" my files ARE there, but those who are trying to upload from me are getting instantly Aborted :( I configured my
firewall setting in Norton Antivirus 2004 but STILL having problems.
Please Help
Thanks

Aaron_T
02-24-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by CocoColaNut@24 February 2004 - 20:58
:huh: Hiya
I have 2 hard drives and I had installed Kazaa into my 2nd personal hard drive,
I configured all my options including my shared folder to be accessed by other members. When I click on "My Shared Folder" my files ARE there, but those who are trying to upload from me are getting instantly Aborted :( I configured my
firewall setting in Norton Antivirus 2004 but STILL having problems.
Please Help
Thanks
what exactly did you configure in norton it can be very sensitive?

CocoColaNut
02-25-2004, 03:12 AM
I "Permited" my Kazaa Shared folder all inbound and outbound connections allowed through Norton's Firewall. I just recently upgraded to the 2004 edition of
Norton and I think (by reading relative problems in various sites) something about certain registry programs that Norton scans as a threat. I did have 1 posted threat (Not a virus, but threat) and if you click on "fix", it screws up all the registry files associated with this 'threat" which really wasn't a threat..... I needed to reinstall Norton anyway, so when I did, I unchecked the threat (Adware program) and skipped the scan.. Then I tried Kazaa again to see if members can upload from me, and they still can't. Maybe you can help some more... thanks :rolleyes:

MUSLEMAN
02-25-2004, 04:30 AM
you need to allow klite to go in and out not the shared folder :lol:

CocoColaNut
02-25-2004, 07:35 AM
;) Hee Muselman, I know that... That was the first thing I had done smartypants!! :D Still didn't work... believe it or not! Also My Shared folder was placed outside of the Kazaa
Installation for some reason. My 2nd Hard drive is not an OS compatible drive... it is for storage only. Somehow the shared folder was placed where I didn't want it to go. So I went back and added it to be shared through My Options. Still didn't work as far as those uploading from me... they keep getting aborted but my files ARE IN "My Shared Folder" ... My downloads WORK though, Kinda kookie, huh. :blink: Maybe an administrator, host, etc. can give me a hand somehow.
Thanks for the tip anyhow.
P.S. I checked Kazaa Tools, can't find ANYTHING to explain the problem.

CocoColaNut
02-25-2004, 08:03 AM
:rolleyes: Just checked back and found some are uploading... but little by little.
1 upload, then others are aborted, then 2 uploads and others are aborted... so on and so on. I haven't signed onto Kazaa for some time and I had these files to be shared in a folder for a while. Does Kazaa Admin. do a scan of members files to be uploaded before members can access them? If that's what it was, that explains
the delay... I think :blink: Well guess this problem solve.. I think.

MUSLEMAN
02-25-2004, 08:38 AM
hey boss first thing i'm trying to help i didnt see you say you allowed klite itself to go in and out.

seconde the shared folder is no longer inside of klite folder thats been since the K++ nor is the db folder.

third i don't understand what you mean by:

Does Kazaa Admin. do a scan of members files to be uploaded before members can access them

wth do you mean by that??

also remember you are not the only source for the files you have, maybe that little is all they need

delphin460
02-25-2004, 08:45 AM
exactly , i get around 3/4 of uploads aborted b4 they are completed, this usualy means the person who is uploading from me has gone off line, happens a lot with movies as there aint many ppl download a whole movie in 1 hit,

CocoColaNut
02-25-2004, 05:58 PM
:) ;) Hey Musel, no insult... I was just frustrated and tired is all. If I insulted you, I didn't mean to, I'm sorry :( sincerely. I've been up since 2:00 am trying to figure this out. :unsure: Stuff like this that I was able to figure out in the past through reading faq's, understanding how Firewalls work (especially Norton's previous version of 2003) and just trial and error, but NOW, despite all I tried, nothing seemed to work. Stuff like that drives me absolutely crazy. Also, there is a folder in the Kazaa program files called "KShared" which my files weren't shown there at first... now they are, but before I cut and pasted them from that other "shared folder", they werent. And to Delphin B) , I've been a member of Kazaa for a long time, this problem I'm having was strange and never happened to me before. I know members abort files themselves, but in this case every single upload was instantly aborted systematically, quickly, one after another. It was wierd! :unsure: I also reformatted my hard drive at one point therefore deleting Kazaa and had to reinstall it again. (I saved my downloads to Cd's) When I tried to sign back onto the boards after reinstall, it didn't recognize my previous screen name and password, therefore assumed I was a new member. I added my downloads through Kazaa's Option "Find Media To Share" from the Cd's. Everything seemed to work fine and dandy. But after I registered and re-signed back onto Kazaa's board along with installing Norton Internet Security 2004, then going back into Kazaa's "Traffic" to check my current downloads and uploads ... that's when the problem started. That's when I checked the shared folders, the firewalls etc., etc. then felt like throwing this damn computer out the window :D As far as Kazaa scanning files, I didn't know what to make of the problem I was having, and after I checked out everything with the Firewalls, I wasn't sure why every member was getting aborted constantly. So, AFTER I checked everything w/the firewall, etc. I started reaching for other solutions, that it might not be Norton, and I thought maybe Kazaa scans "new" members files to be shared which is understandable since it didn't recognize me as a previous member. Which could be another possible solution why members were getting aborted from my files since Kazaa might be scanning them first to make sure that they are safe and they "abort" members from uploading from "new" members files at first to make sure they are safe which some sites do and "scans" them first, like DriverGuide, etc. I donated a display driver which they scanned first before adding it to their board... I didn't know, I was just reaching for another reason....Sorry again. :( I think it has something to do with Norton, etc. I think the 2004 version has problems w/p2p, like Aol. Well anyway, it seems to be working now... So I'm not going to try to fix something that doesn't seem to be broke anymore... I hope :huh:
Wish me luck! :)

MUSLEMAN
02-25-2004, 11:24 PM
emm hold on boss, first of when you say kazaa scans i hope you are talking about your version and not the network or something or somebody else.

second where those files on the cd still when you made this thread??

CocoColaNut
02-26-2004, 04:50 AM
Musel... no, I just wanted to know if kazaa scans files like Driverguide before allowing other members to access uploads... that's about it...? I don't know what you mean about other networks, etc. I just wanted to find out why members uploads were being aborted once I signed back on and I wasn't sure if it was Norton or Kazaa causing a delay... Re the Files, I downloaded them from here from other members which I saved onto Cd's before I re-formatted both hard drives. I didn't want to lose them since most were movies and they take a long time to download. Then after reinstalling windows.. (at that time I still had Norton 2003) reinstalled that, etc. etc. When it was time for me to upgrade (Norton kinda gives you no choice) to Norton 2004... I did upgrade. At that time I did not re-install Kazaa yet. When I finally gotten around to reinstalling Kazaa.. I did it as I have done in the past. That was about 2 weeks ago I'd say... but I didn't pay much attention at that time, I just installed it and saved the installation it to my 2nd hard drive... which I had also done in the past and it worked fine,
then, I used the cd's with the files that I downloaded from here previous, went up to options, clicked on files to share, etc. etc. Placed them back into my shared folder and didn't sign back in until yesterday. I now recall that usually Norton Internet Security normally PROMPTS you to permit access, block access etc... but it didn't
when I installed Kazza... It didn't concern me at the time... I just wanted to get all my programs reinstalled into my computer again. Then yesterday, I signed into Kazaa and that's when I noticed that my files weren't showing in Kazaa's "My Shared" folder except for one, and that was the Kazaa's 243(?) installation folder. So I searched my 2nd hard drive, found that strangely placed(?) "shared folder" with the files, cut and pasted them to where they should've went. Then I was able to acess them from "My Shared Folder". That's never happened to me before with any Kazaa installation or update. My downloads were always placed in the right shared file accessed by Kazaa.
I wanted to download more movies, which I'm doing now, that's when I noticed other users were instantly aborted from uploading. That bothered me so I went back knowing it might have something to do with the new Norton... checked the firewall, etc. etc. I permitted access to klite.. to my shared folder, etc. Norton Antivirus also did a scan and prompted me that I had a "threat" of an adware program which I fixed, not fully reading what it was... Then Norton prompted me that it had a "problem", and I had to reinstall the whole program again which is a pain in the tail... because I purchased the download version and I need to go back into the site I purchased the download and wait for the program to fully download again. When the scan started it prompted me again... but knowing the problem I was having with Kazaa, I paid attention to what this "threat" was. It showed it as an "Adware" program, but attached to it was my "Roxio EZ CD Creator AND Kazaa!!!! This time I didn't fix it. I went into Roxio's site to find out more about it and it did mention that if you fix certain "threats" it will disfigure some .dll files.
Then I went back into the Norton Firewall setting... clicked on "Advance" and double checked every Internet accessed program I have, including Kazaa.
Now, to make a long story short :lol: Answer to your first question that I wasn't sure if Kazaa scans submitted files before members accessed them like DriverGuide does which could explain the delay in others uploading from me. The answer to the 2nd was I installed them into what I thought should've been the Kazaa's shared folder about two weeks ago but didn't check it at the time by clicking on the "My Shared Folder". All of the above is pretty much what I did step by step... I still think it has something to do with Norton Internet Security 2004.
Hope this helps.
Ann :)

MUSLEMAN
02-26-2004, 05:58 AM
emmm that post is way to big for me boss.

kazaa scans our files and folders you have choosen to share first when you open klite then every how ever long you have set it too.

please downlaod and checkout the faq, if files are being aborted this can be normall.

other then that i dont' know what to tell you :lol:

CocoColaNut
02-26-2004, 06:22 AM
:lol: You should hear my phone messages I leave :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks anyway... everything seems to be working fine now... I fixed something, I just don't know exactly how I did it!!
Thanks again
;) Ann

MUSLEMAN
02-26-2004, 07:09 AM
lmao, phone messages ay, well maybe i shouldn't :lol: :lol:

glad it worked out boss :lol:

Switeck
02-26-2004, 09:13 AM
If you're uploading too fast and/or to too many people at once, then uploads WILL spontaneously disconnect -- often after getting only a couple KBs.