PDA

View Full Version : Lounge Memories

hobbes
02-25-2004, 06:08 AM
I was looking for a post by Billy Dean, that I thought existed, but I could not find it so I found myself browsing through lots of old "world news" thread.

It was fun re-reading posts and replies I had forgotten. I found myself laughing and having a good time.

Here is my first meeting with Jpol, know as JMIF, then.

hobbes commenting on a post by clocker (prior to his bout of election blues):

He was poking fun at you. You heard it from some commentators, so he countered by saying that he saw it on tv. He mimicked your expression as well, "they seemed to know what they were talking about".

Understated humor, he didn't even throw in a smiley or wink, the bastard.

Jmif....With Clocker around, watch out for sarcasm.

Jpol responding:

I find it interesting that you see sarcasm in his reply to me, while failing to see the irony in my reply to him.

I was explaining "sarcasm" to Jpol who politely corrected me by indicating that it was "irony" and questioning why I couldn't appreciate his.

Ah, good times, J'pol I hardly knew ya. In fact, earlier in the same thread I had stated:

By late, I meant the forum, in general. Notice, I said this was discussed in another THREAD, not post. I was not attempting to patronize, but I just hadn't seen your name in this forum before.

It is fun to go back and watch us all get to know each other. The "irony" of coaching Jpol on irony.

What was a bit sad was all those names I had forgotten about. "Hey, I remember him!" Check all posts by that person, note that he/she is long gone.

h1
02-25-2004, 06:28 AM
:(

I.am
02-25-2004, 06:35 AM
:( :( Point well made. hobbes.

internet.news
02-25-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by haxor41789@25 February 2004 - 07:28
:(
The first post was in June "GTA" by --

clocker
02-26-2004, 12:04 AM
Ah yes hobbes, the good old days.

I have myself, upon occasion, rummaged through posts of yore, and am frequently pleased by the level of banter that we sometimes attain.

There are some true gems buried in the heap, still glittering as the day they were posted.

What ever happened to the "Best of" awards that were timorously proposed?

"Apparently, semen is an acquired taste", still gets my vote for Quip of the Year.

100%
02-26-2004, 12:04 AM
As to so called "Lounge Memories"

j2k4
02-26-2004, 06:27 AM
There have been some crazy days here.

Who remembers Zardoz?

In a class by himself; I still imagine him to have adjourned from the keyboard only to take his meds or attend his shrink.

Hobbes-do you remembere that "Meaning of life..." thread?

Met you there, I think.

Clocker and I (and others) discussing the Beatles.

J'Pol and I discovering we were (to our mutual amazement) allied, at some point.

Who was the guy who had a grand mal event and dislocated both shoulders?

Poor fellow needed a bit of a restoration, I think; he had a helluva reading list.

I remember Lamsey telling me, "Oh, you must be one of those patriotic Americans...", or some such.

myfiles3000, where are you?

Whatta place...... :)

4th gen
02-26-2004, 06:32 AM
I wonder if/when we'll return to those days...? :(

j2k4
02-26-2004, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by 4th gen@26 February 2004 - 03:32
I wonder if/when we'll return to those days...?  :(
I think we are still there, 4th.

We have ascended the ladder of tenure/seniority to the point of a different perspective, surely, but even given the massive growth in membership and demographic variety, the same things still happen.

Think about it.

When, in the lounge, did you last see a genuinely new thread? :lol:

We still have a core set, so-to-speak.

We're okay.

Still, it would be neat if some of the old crew dropped in, wouldn't it?

Who do you miss?

4th gen
02-26-2004, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by j2k4@26 February 2004 - 05:50
Who do you miss?
TClite, stoi and mobboss01 off the top of my head. Of course, Tc is my best friend in real life, but he never posts on here anymore.

There is too much bitchiness/flaming these days, in my opinion (though I'm as guilty as a lot of others of this)

j2k4
02-26-2004, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by 4th gen@26 February 2004 - 04:00

There is too much bitchiness/flaming these days, in my opinion (though I'm as guilty as a lot of others of this)
I think this is a natural by-product of the expansion of the membership and the board, more than anything else.

I remember the bitchy ones; they seem to either leave or learn (eventually).

I miss myfiles, TIDE-HSV, olderthandirt (who was supposed to return, sometime), some of the old mods, etc.

Hell, I even miss Zardoz and Hypo.

I wish titey would drop in once in a while.

Neverose, too.

hobbes
02-26-2004, 05:35 PM
Titey was a great use of the redneck mentality as a ruse to hide an intelligent mind. He is sort of like Fugley and his return is long verdue.

Longterm was the recovering shoulder dislocator.

NE1GotZardoz- probably left because somebody did have it and gave it to him. I think "Zardoz" was an old Sean Connery flick.

Back in the old days the forum was running on 3 wheels:
1) An excited group united under filesharing- I don't bother much with that anymore. Used to download movies at 150kb/sec, now it is so hit or miss.

2) America started a war- certainly kept that section hopping.

3) Forum energizers- Jonno, Celebs, LilMiss, Lamsey, Weemouse, Titey, Ron, NikkiD, Funky, CBB, Fugley, Jpol, skweeky, ProperBo, The noob generations seemed to be in full swing.

And we had that pedophile Chalkmongoose, so not all was well.

So today we rely mainly on #3 and many of those people have either gotten bored, gotten offended, become a somewhat sinister Musicworld devotee or like lilmiss had the "real world" show up at her doorstep preventing her from hanging out.

j2k4
02-26-2004, 06:05 PM
Spot on, sir.

"We must endeavor to perservere."*

*Line from the movie, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

fugley
02-26-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by j2k4@26 February 2004 - 18:05
Spot on, sir.

Yes I tend to agree with all your hyprofeciesieses. I've been feeling a little neuralgic too.

:blink:

100%
02-26-2004, 07:17 PM
I miss FunkyDawg76!!!!!!! http://funkydawg76.250free.com/Mac-SSX3-2.gif

JONNO_CELEBS
02-26-2004, 08:35 PM
I'm an Energizer?? :blink: :lol:

Well have to agree Hobbes dude, very sad, so many faces gone, good faces :)

But I guess thats life, Friends come and go

Heh I remember you and me going at it hammer and tongs for about 5 hours :lol:

Yup, is very different now, maybe for the better, maybe not. Only time will tell :)

Jonno B)

DanB
02-26-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by JONNO_CELEBS@26 February 2004 - 21:35
I'm an Energizer?? :blink: :lol:
:lol: :lol:

yup. like the Duracell bunny :lol: :lol: :P

JONNO_CELEBS
02-26-2004, 08:41 PM
No&#33; <_< He said I was an Energizer, not Duracel or Every Ready :P :lol:

So can I be the Energizer Pengiun ? I&#39;m always falling over like them and I keep waddling without stopping :lol:

Jonno B)

Agrajag
02-27-2004, 12:38 AM
Zardoz was indeed a Sean Connery film. It was about a post apocalyptic world and had a Wizard of Oz message within it.

j2k4
02-27-2004, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by fugley+26 February 2004 - 16:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (fugley @ 26 February 2004 - 16:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-j2k4@26 February 2004 - 18:05
Spot on, sir.

Yes I tend to agree with all your hyprofeciesieses. I&#39;ve been feeling a little neuralgic too.

:blink: [/b][/quote]
Me, too.

With side helpings of anispepsia and frasmotosis.

Maybe I should have my talons scraped or something. :huh:

Agrajag
02-27-2004, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by j2k4@27 February 2004 - 00:50

Maybe I should have my talons scraped or something. :huh:
Oh I think it may be more appropriate for you to have the guards removed from them. Your ignominious slide from fearless guardian of truth and justice, to neutered apologist is frankly shocking.

I read your work of several months ago and compare it to now. The word comfortable floats across my minds eye pausing only to conjoin with the word rut.

Lilmiss
02-27-2004, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by hobbes@26 February 2004 - 17:35
lilmiss had the "real world" show up at her doorstep preventing her from hanging out.
oh, and how I miss the "unreal world".
It was soooo much more fun.

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/Lynne1977uk/cloud9.gif

JONNO_CELEBS
02-27-2004, 01:15 AM
Yeah, warmer too :D

Hehe, lilmiss is here hehe :D

Jonno B)