PDA

View Full Version : Cpu Cooling

Livy
02-26-2004, 05:23 PM
i had an idea about cooling the other day. i was thiknking about using a couple of cooling ducts. http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/in...oduct_uid=55527 (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=55527)

and a 80-60mm fan adpater for my stock amd heatsink, and a 80mm fan. and bringing the air straight from the outside of the case, since the ait should be cooler there, do u think this will yeild good results.

i may try get a picture up soon.

edit: or would my money eb better spend on a better cooler. ran than the above, as it will prob cost about £15-20 ish i recon.

lynx
02-26-2004, 06:13 PM
Depends which cpu you've got and whether you are OCing. I found that the Akasa 824CU was an excellent HSF (in fact I'm still using the heatsink). You should be able to pick one of those up for about £12. It uses an oversize heatsink and an 80mm fan, and the copper base means you don't need to worry about the centre spot phenomenon.

To me it seemed like a good solution without adding extra weight to the mounting.

clocker
02-26-2004, 07:31 PM
Livy, I have been using a setup similar to your idea for months now.
It is quite effective.

However ( there's ALWAYS something, right?), you will have to make provisions to remove all the air you are now bringing in or your case will ultimately suffer from heat soak and temps will again rise.*
Also...using the 60 to 80mm adaptor may move your HS fan beyond the reach of the ducts....

*Roof blowholes work well for this... ;)

lynx
02-26-2004, 07:47 PM
I'm thinking of going for these (http://www.mainlinegroup.co.uk/mless/main.php?act=Card&id_element=950). Looks a little like the ones you've got, clocker. :lol:

Edit: They've got some really strange deals on that site - look under tools - there's something that's described as "we don't know what it is so you can have one free" or something like that. :lol:

clocker
02-26-2004, 08:01 PM
That's hilarious.
Even funnier is that there is undoubtably someone who not only knows what it is, but needs it DESPERATELY.
Willing to pay dearly for it if only they knew where to find it.... :P

That fan panel does look familiar doesn't it?
Mine are working out great....

bigdawgfoxx
02-26-2004, 08:32 PM
I put a 80mm fan on my stock Heatsink, and my temps didnt seem to change at all really.

Livy
02-26-2004, 10:11 PM
i think by using the 60-80 and 2 of the thermaltake ducts should fit in my case, and the extra weight would be shared with my case fan mounting, which i planned to use, ill have a look at sizes and stuff. or i might pop into b&q as some piping mat be cheaper. :P as a temp soloution

tesco
02-26-2004, 10:41 PM
this is what i might try one of these days:

ill buy a case with a side fan on it and make a duct going from the fan to teh cpu then attach a second fan along the duct to help airflow throgh it and attach it right to teh heatsync so its completely fresh cool air coming in and then maybe attach two slow moving fans to the side of the heatync blowing away from it to remove the air coming in faster. i think that would be a little unneccessary but stilll pretty cool.

Livy
02-26-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@26 February 2004 - 22:41
this is what i might try one of these days:

ill buy a case with a side fan on it and make a duct going from the fan to teh cpu then attach a second fan along the duct to help airflow throgh it and attach it right to teh heatsync so its completely fresh cool air coming in and then maybe attach two slow moving fans to the side of the heatync blowing away from it to remove the air coming in faster. i think that would be a little unneccessary but stilll pretty cool.
im not on about the side fn, its a rear case fan mounting. thats why i would need the 2 ducting mods to make it 90 degree change

lynx
02-26-2004, 11:47 PM
I think you missed the point about that adapter.

The idea is that you remove the fan from your heatsink, fit the adapter, then fasten the fan to the adapter. Since the fan is no longer blowing straight down onto the heatsink you avoid the centre spot problem so you get better cooling from the same fan, or the same cooling from a lower speed (and therefore quieter) fan.

Livy
02-26-2004, 11:58 PM
i do realise that this is what the adadter does, but i could put an 60-80 adapter, then ducting mod, then 80mm fan, then another ducting mod, which should reach the case fan point, which would bring in air from outside the case which should be cooler, and put a blowhole in the roof above the heatsink to get rid of the heat there too. or maybe even put 2 fans in the new ducting to the heatsink for more airflow.

lynx
02-27-2004, 12:12 AM
I understand now.

Did you look at the fan set I mentioned earlier? If you had a set of those blowing air out of the top I don't think you would need any ducting at all.

If you've got warm air coming out the back it is probably not a good idea to suck air in at the back too, you will probably just suck the warm air back in even if you've got a blow hole on top too.

It might be better to aim for the front of the machine (or the side panel as others have mentioned.

Livy
02-27-2004, 12:14 AM
Image Resized
Image Resized
[img]http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/ducting.GIF' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'> (http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/ducting.GIF)

this is what i mean. the fornt of the case is far to go, with that setup there is already a fan at the point i was gonna use, but i was gonna change that to a blowhole above the cpu, and i have one at the front bringing air in/

edit: if i brought it from my sidepanel it would prob eb warm air too as my monitor sits right next to the case. and the other side is against a cabinet

bigdawgfoxx
02-27-2004, 12:37 AM
I would put a fan in the back of the case, and one between the ducting mods like you had

Livy
02-27-2004, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@27 February 2004 - 00:37
I would put a fan in the back of the case, and one between the ducting mods like you had
its also depending on the space though, as a fan may not fit. but im gona have a look into this.

clocker
02-27-2004, 01:17 AM
Livy,
I have tried exactly the arrangement you have drawn.
In the case I had at the time (Xaser) it would have worked had I moved the back wall fan over a few millimeters.
It was close enough that I thought seriously about doing the mod.

The only things that stopped me were: that whole assembly would have to be dismantled to remove the motherboard...and, you would have to get it to fit perfectly or it would put strain on the heatsink/motherboard when all the hardware was tightened.
If you could arrange a flexible duct in that shape you'd be fine. It could adapt to any slight misalignment you may have without a problem.

Ultimately I have found that just ducting the fresh air into the immediate vicinity of the HS works almost as well and is far simpler to do.

bigdawgfoxx
02-27-2004, 01:21 AM
You could like decide where you need to move one end of the plastic duct, cut the end that screws to the case, melt is just enough to move it around and into place. :) maybe...lol

Livy
02-27-2004, 01:24 AM
oh well, im not at home the now anyway. but i'll have a look, see where i can duct fresh air from etc. i'm nto to keen on hacking up my case. even hought it only cost about £24 which included speakers, mouse and keyboard. :D

and idont on taking my mobo out anytime soon anyway so that aint a worry.

also, here (http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/Kustom_PCs_Shop_Ducting___Fan_Brackets_27.html) is some flexabile ducting.

edit: infact looka t the bottom of that page, :lol: i never even seen that

clocker
02-27-2004, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by Livy@26 February 2004 - 17:24

edit: infact looka t the bottom of that page, :lol: i never even seen that
That kit has been around for a while now.
Personally, I don't know anyone who has tried it.
Reviews have been mixed.

One complaint that seems valid to me is the ducting itself.
That sort of corrugated duct just can't be very conducive to smooth, efficient airflow.