PDA

View Full Version : New Water Cooling Kit

lynx
02-26-2004, 08:55 PM
Fits in cd slot. (http://www.overclockers.com/articles953/)

What a smart idea, I really like the look of this.

kaiweiler
02-26-2004, 09:00 PM
I agree, I was seriously looking at this not more then 2 days ago! I really liked it a lot, however:

This is NOT what I would consider a "performance kit", but for someone looking for an "all-in-one" mid-level solution, it's an OK choice.
What do you think though? think it's a decent system??
Also what's the price range on that thing? I couldn't find it anywhere

lynx
02-26-2004, 09:10 PM
That was a demo model, it hasn't started full production/distribution yet, that's why no price.

I would need to see more results in terms of heat transfer before definitely going for one, but I think the idea has potential. It certainly looks smart too. The article suggests aiming for running it with fans set on low speed. That makes sense, you can always turn them up if things are getting a little warm.

atiVidia
02-26-2004, 09:21 PM
finally, a watercooling system that fits in my SFF:

http://www.chyangfun.com/Product/images/M1fp.jpg

that is what my sff case looked like b4 i added stuff to it. it r0x!

ive got 1 free slot and this is pERfect!!!!!

Mad Cat
02-26-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by atiVidia@26 February 2004 - 21:21
finally, a watercooling system that fits in my SFF:

http://www.chyangfun.com/Product/images/M1fp.jpg

that is what my sff case looked like b4 i added stuff to it. it r0x!

Those shuttle type PCs rule. I saw one designed to look exactly like a stereo in a shop nearish me.

Livy
02-26-2004, 10:12 PM
i think it msi that do them

tesco
02-26-2004, 10:47 PM
temperature adjustment buttons

i wish haha :lol:

that thing look spretty cool, but something ive always wondered. how do you get teh water through into the pipes without leaving any airgaps and without spilling any onto the electrical components?

lynx
02-26-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@26 February 2004 - 21:47

temperature adjustment buttons

i wish haha :lol:

that thing look spretty cool, but something ive always wondered. how do you get teh water through into the pipes without leaving any airgaps and without spilling any onto the electrical components?
Very carefully. :rolleyes:

kaiweiler
02-27-2004, 02:40 PM
so lynx, is that water cooler you first stated the only one that fits in a cd-rom bay? I havn't seen any others like it before...
I like the idea though

lynx
02-27-2004, 04:10 PM
It is the only one I've seen.
I think I would want it at the top of my system, with a blowhole mounted directly above.

kaiweiler
02-27-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by lynx@27 February 2004 - 12:10
It is the only one I've seen.
I think I would want it at the top of my system, with a blowhole mounted directly above.
Yes that is what I would do, it wouldn't be hard at all to cut a small hole in the top, then I would leave an empty bay underneath and then have my DVD underneath that and then my cd-rw under that, would work nicely

_John_Lennon_
02-27-2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by atiVidia@26 February 2004 - 16:21

You will need more than one open slot for better air flow to the radiator.

abu_has_the_power
02-28-2004, 05:08 AM
looks tight. i still prefer those koollance ones where u put the whole thing on top of the case. doesn't take too much interior space, and it looks cool, and they perform better than this. same concept, but bigger

kaiweiler
02-28-2004, 01:40 PM
How is water cooling in general for noise? I assume it must be a lot quieter then a bunch of fans whirring all day, but does it make much noise?

clocker
02-28-2004, 02:03 PM
I have seen another kit that is configured this way also.

Based upon my experience with the AquariusIII kit that I received for Xmas, I don't think that temps will be good. The radiator, pump and water lines are all on the smallish side. This really inhibits the ability of the system to dissipate heat.

The only real advantage of an underpowered H2O setup over a decent air rig is that the water system doesn't respond as quickly to changes in room temps. My temps spike when the furnace kicks on and then level out again. With water this doesn't happen as much.
Even big-time water rigs don't achieve temps much (if any) better than I've finally managed to obtain with air, and they aren't any quieter than mine as they are using big, powerful fans on the radiator.

Now a water system with a Peltier block would be a whole different animal...

lynx
02-28-2004, 03:34 PM
I've looked into this one a bit further, according to evercool's site the temp range you can set on the front panel is 40C to 79C!!!, which doesn't make the rest of the setup sound too promising. And when I think about it I'm not too keen on having heat coming from the area of the cd/dvd players and burners, they get hot enough without that.

Since you would probably want to have some sort of front panel control system, it makes sense to use the area behind it for the pump. If they were to sell that unit separately (without the internal radiator and with a lower temp range) I think it could be a big hit. They could even give a range of external radiators depending on how cool you wanted to get it.

I suppose the temp range would be ok if you put a peltier in, and measured the temp on the hot side of the peltier, but you would need a much bigger radiator. Now that I've got more info about it, I've gone off the idea of getting one of these. It's a great idea let down by poor execution.

Clocker, you may have seen to wc-101, also by evercool. It only cools the cpu, and rather than having an external radiator it still has a fan on top of the water block. Seems a little pointless to me.

clocker
02-28-2004, 03:51 PM
Could be, Lynx.
Don't really recall...
I do remember that the unit I saw had the waterfill on the top of the main unit so you had to fill it from inside the case...a hideously risky proposition, I thought.

Units like this I think are more for bragging rights than real effect.
"Look, MY computer is water cooled!"
Impress the great unwashed masses, but the temps aren't really very good.

Even the really high-end setups with expensive, quality components don't surpass a good air cooled rig by much ( if at all).
Lots of money and risk for marginal results, methinks....

abu_has_the_power
02-28-2004, 04:49 PM
@ clocker: he aquairus that that u got is one of the least powerful wc systems around. i mean, they sell it at microcenter! how good can that be?

clocker
02-28-2004, 04:58 PM
That's very true Abu.
Now look at the picture in the link of this new system.
How big can the radiator and waterpump be to fit into the size of a CD-ROM?
It looks even smaller than the AquariusIII units!

Plus, even with that crap AIII rig I can get better systemps than 40°C (which, I'd be willing to bet, is measured at 0% CPU use anyway...).

abu_has_the_power
02-28-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by clocker@28 February 2004 - 11:58
That's very true Abu.
Now look at the picture in the link of this new system.
How big can the radiator and waterpump be to fit into the size of a CD-ROM?
It looks even smaller than the AquariusIII units!

Plus, even with that crap AIII rig I can get better systemps than 40°C (which, I'd be willing to bet, is measured at 0% CPU use anyway...).
yea. this looks tight and all, but it's not very powerful.
1st: crappy pump if it can fit in such small space
2. the 2nd radiator might be good, but still not enough
3. just doesn't push enough water man.

does look pretty cool though. i'd still get those big ones that u put over ur case (koolance, etc) they are fairly decent

kaiweiler
02-28-2004, 05:42 PM
How is the noise w/ water cooling? Is it fairly quiet??
Like how much noise would the pump and radiator make?? Is it quieter then having fans?

clocker
02-28-2004, 06:02 PM
My experience is limited K, so take my opinion with a grain of salt....

My current feelings are that watercooling, designed and installed to rival an efficient air-cooled solution, really can't be too much quieter than an air only rig.
Why?

Well, you need a good, high volume pump to start with.
I have seen ( and heard) a rig with an Eheim pump ( the darling of the watercooling fraternity) and it is NOT silent.. Not hideously noisy, but it emits a hum ( similar to flourescent lighting) and it does vibrate some. The vibration could be dealt with if you were willing to work on it, but the hum is not going away.

You need a fairly large radiator.
To effectively dissipate the heat from the rad you need some big, high flow fans.
Not quiet.

The real downside to almost all of the H2O rigs that I've seen is the profusion of hoses and hardware necessary.
They are just too damn hard to work on for the results they provide.
I haven't seen a setup yet that really knocks my socks off, although I'd like to.....

abu_has_the_power
02-28-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by clocker@28 February 2004 - 13:02
My experience is limited K, so take my opinion with a grain of salt....

My current feelings are that watercooling, designed and installed to rival an efficient air-cooled solution, really can't be too much quieter than an air only rig.
Why?

Well, you need a good, high volume pump to start with.
I have seen ( and heard) a rig with an Eheim pump ( the darling of the watercooling fraternity) and it is NOT silent.. Not hideously noisy, but it emits a hum ( similar to flourescent lighting) and it does vibrate some. The vibration could be dealt with if you were willing to work on it, but the hum is not going away.

You need a fairly large radiator.
To effectively dissipate the heat from the rad you need some big, high flow fans.
Not quiet.

The real downside to almost all of the H2O rigs that I've seen is the profusion of hoses and hardware necessary.
They are just too damn hard to work on for the results they provide.
I haven't seen a setup yet that really knocks my socks off, although I'd like to.....
wat bout wc and peltiers? i've seen those go below 0 C all the time

clocker
02-28-2004, 06:27 PM
Sure.
Very cool way to go ( in both senses of the word).

You still need a very good water system ( in fact, you need an excellent one as you'll be dealing with more heat to get rid of), and you will also have to provide/deal with the extra power requirements of the Pelt.

The question here is how much is a lower temp worth to you?
Hell, if you really want good temps, just plunk out the dosh for a Prometius setup.
Silent, cold and expensive....

_John_Lennon_
02-29-2004, 02:05 AM
Yes, it does seem an interesting prediciment doesnt it? You want to get away from all the noisy fans that are needed to get the top of the line air cooling, so you go to watercooling. but you still just put off the issue of removing that heat from the loop that is cooling your processor.... So that leads you right back to fans, just in different places. And the pump as many people froget is going to make some noise as well.

Thats why im going to make an evaporative cooler, with a nice submersive pump.

clocker
02-29-2004, 02:59 AM
Bongs are very interesting cooling rigs.

Plus you get that cool fountain sound.

tesco
02-29-2004, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by clocker@28 February 2004 - 21:59

:lol: :lol:

abu_has_the_power
02-29-2004, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by _John_Lennon_@28 February 2004 - 21:05
Yes, it does seem an interesting prediciment doesnt it? You want to get away from all the noisy fans that are needed to get the top of the line air cooling, so you go to watercooling. but you still just put off the issue of removing that heat from the loop that is cooling your processor.... So that leads you right back to fans, just in different places. And the pump as many people froget is going to make some noise as well.

Thats why im going to make an evaporative cooler, with a nice submersive pump.
some ppl circulate their water into a bucket of ice. no noise, and water is around 0C. look around at the rigs on exremevoverclocking.com. looks tight, but kinda messy with pipes going everywhere. but they're noiseless

clocker
02-29-2004, 07:57 AM
I guess that it depends on how temporary you want your cooling solution to be Abu.
It would drive me crazy to continually be filling an ice bucket for my PC.

Bong coolers are evaporative and need occasional refilling, but not nearly as often.
I've even seen one bong cooler that used the fill valve from a toilet to monitor and replenish the water reservoir automatically.

A bong would be quite a boon here in Denver as the climate is quite dry and the cooler would add some much needed moisture to the air.
Hmmm....

_John_Lennon_
03-01-2004, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+28 February 2004 - 22:55--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 28 February 2004 - 22:55)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-clocker@28 February 2004 - 21:59

:lol: :lol: [/b][/quote]
He isnt joking.

And Clocker, the toilet idea is actually quite a good one. Now if only I could run an extra pipe from my water system to my room.

And of course get an old toilet

clocker
03-01-2004, 12:55 AM
I wonder how often a setup like that needs to be replenished.
I went back and reread about bongs last night and you&#39;ve definitely piqued my interest again.

Earlier this week while killing some time, I checked out the pumps available for aquariums and garden fountains, either of which would be suitable for a bong.
They&#39;re cheap ( which is a must) and readily available ( another good thing).

Shoot, you could probably build the whole thing for under &#036;75.
Not counting the waterblock, of course.

tesco
03-01-2004, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by clocker@29 February 2004 - 19:55
I wonder how often a setup like that needs to be replenished.
I went back and reread about bongs last night and you&#39;ve definitely piqued my interest again.

Earlier this week while killing some time, I checked out the pumps available for aquariums and garden fountains, either of which would be suitable for a bong.
They&#39;re cheap ( which is a must) and readily available ( another good thing).

Shoot, you could probably build the whole thing for under &#036;75.
Not counting the waterblock, of course.
ok i gotta ask, what kind of bong are u talking about?

clocker
03-01-2004, 01:41 AM
Waterbong. (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=274868&highlight=bong)
I can&#39;t imagine what you might have been thinking of... :P

tesco
03-01-2004, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by clocker@29 February 2004 - 20:41
Waterbong. (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=274868&highlight=bong)
I can&#39;t imagine what you might have been thinking of... :P
:lol: i still dont really get it but if ur not talking about the one im thinking of i guess i dont really care as much lol.

clocker
03-01-2004, 01:57 AM
It&#39;s simple, Rossco.
Basically, just an evaporative cooler, very much like a swamp cooler.

Advantages:
Cheap
Easily built
Very efficient...much more so than a closed loop system (radiator), temps routinely in the teens

Disadvantages:
Open loop...the water will eventually evaporate so you must monitor and refill as necessary
Size...to a certain extent, the bigger the better
Clunky addition to the PC tower...although the only interface between the comp and the bong is the waterlines, maintenance would be more difficult...

tesco
03-01-2004, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by clocker@29 February 2004 - 20:57
It&#39;s simple, Rossco.
Basically, just an evaporative cooler, very much like a swamp cooler.

Advantages:
Cheap
Easily built
Very efficient...much more so than a closed loop system (radiator), temps routinely in the teens

Disadvantages:
Open loop...the water will eventually evaporate so you must monitor and refill as necessary
Size...to a certain extent, the bigger the better
Clunky addition to the PC tower...although the only interface between the comp and the bong is the waterlines, maintenance would be more difficult...
alright im sorta understanding. but i think i should worry about learning watercooling...i still dont know how they get the water into the pipes without spilling or not getting enough :lol:

clocker
03-01-2004, 05:00 AM
Filling the system and burping the air out is actually the easy part.
It is more difficult in a closed loop setup...in an open loop system (like the waterbong) filling and bleeding is a non-issue.