PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla Or Firefox

ninjamonkey
02-26-2004, 11:11 PM
what is the difference between firefox and mozilla firebird?
Is it ok to install them if you also have IE? Will it delete my favorites or anything?

NightStalker
02-26-2004, 11:34 PM
Firefox has more features, etc. (Find more here (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/releases/0.8.html))

Yes, it is ok to install if you have IE, it does not affect it, at all.

It will not delete your bookmarkts, however, It will make a copy of them all and import them to FireFox.

:)

h1
02-26-2004, 11:46 PM
Firefox by a long shot.

ninjamonkey
02-26-2004, 11:51 PM
thanks. i installed firefox, and it looks really awesome.

Is there a way to make Firefox continue to add to the bookmarks when i add a favorite in IE? or would i have to re-import the favorties somehow?

On a somewhat similar note, how do you egt IE to display the favorites in alphabetical ordeR? I know i saw a menu somewhere.

I.am
02-27-2004, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by ninjamonkey@26 February 2004 - 16:51
On a somewhat similar note, how do you egt IE to display the favorites in alphabetical ordeR? I know i saw a menu somewhere.
:blink: Right click, "Sort by name" :blink: :blink: :blink:

ninjamonkey
02-27-2004, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by I.am+27 February 2004 - 00:25--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (I.am @ 27 February 2004 - 00:25)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ninjamonkey@26 February 2004 - 16:51
:blink: Right click, "Sort by name" :blink: :blink: :blink: [/b][/quote]
no, there was something like, "keep order of favorites added or alphabetize"

Is there a way to make IE your default browser without resetting all of the web settings?

shn
02-27-2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by ninjamonkey@26 February 2004 - 17:51

Is there a way to make Firefox continue to add to the bookmarks when i add a favorite in IE? or would i have to re-import the favorties somehow?

There should be a folder in your bookmarks called "Imported IE Favorities" :)

ninjamonkey
02-27-2004, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by shn+27 February 2004 - 00:38--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shn @ 27 February 2004 - 00:38)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ninjamonkey@26 February 2004 - 17:51

There should be a folder in your bookmarks called "Imported IE Favorities" :) [/b][/quote]
yes, i know, but i also noticed that it does not keep updating itself.

shn
02-27-2004, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by ninjamonkey+26 February 2004 - 18:41--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ninjamonkey @ 26 February 2004 - 18:41)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by shn@27 February 2004 - 00:38
<!--QuoteBegin-ninjamonkey@26 February 2004 - 17:51

There should be a folder in your bookmarks called "Imported IE Favorities" :)
yes, i know, but i also noticed that it does not keep updating itself. [/b][/quote]
Tuff.

Firefox is better anyway. Just keep all your bookmarks in there :)

ninjamonkey
02-27-2004, 12:44 AM
is there no way to re-import?

Illuminati
02-27-2004, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by ninjamonkey@27 February 2004 - 00:11
what is the difference between firefox and mozilla firebird?
Is it ok to install them if you also have IE? Will it delete my favorites or anything?
1) No difference apart from the version number and bug sortouts. FireFox is the new name for Firebird and applies for this latest version and subsequent releases. As such, Fox is newer than Bird :)
2) You won&#39;t really be able to remove IE properly (unless you use XPlite and that is a hell of a risk to do anyway) so that won&#39;t be a problem.
3) On the contrary - FireFox will READ the favourites saved in IE on the first running of FireFox and copy them into the Bookmarks tab, so you get your IE favourites in Firefox :)

shn
02-27-2004, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by ninjamonkey@26 February 2004 - 18:44
is there no way to re-import?
Go to the bookmarks tab in firefox and select "Manage Bookmarks"

From your Bookmarks Manager go to the "file" tab and select "import."

Browse to your ie favorites and you can do that everytime you want to "update" your favorites from ie to firebird.

I do not know if it updates them for you. I have like 2 bookmarks in ie so is not problem for me :)

ninjamonkey
02-27-2004, 01:24 AM
thanks Illuminati,
I guess i actually meant just mozilla as opposed to firebird.
Are they different?

so does anyone know what im talkgina botu with sorting the favorites in IE? and Is there a way to make IE your default browser without resetting all of the web settings?

I.am
02-27-2004, 01:37 AM
To make default browser: Go to Internet Options > Programs > Check the last box. (Should check whether its a default browser)

I dont know what you mean by alphabetisize other than right clicking and sorting by order. It might be some other browser you saw that other than IE. In any case, if the result is the same then does it matter?

ninjamonkey
02-27-2004, 01:43 AM
doesnt that checking only apply to when you are resetting the web settings?

actually, it does matter to me. There were quite a few options. not just alphabatize.
Im pretty sure it was IE because thats the only browser i had untill a few hours ago when i got firefox.

ninjamonkey
02-27-2004, 02:23 AM
i figured out the favorites alphabatize thing.
It was actually Ace Utilities that allows me to do that.

Cl1mh4224rd
02-27-2004, 03:15 AM
Mozilla = browser + email client + webpage composer
Firebird/Firefox = the browser-only component from Mozilla + separate improvements

At some point they plan on dropping Mozilla (the entire suite) and just offering each of the components separately (Firefox [browser] and Thunderbird [email client], currently)

ninjamonkey
02-27-2004, 05:32 AM
so basically, mozilla is firefox/firebird + thunderbird?

shn
02-27-2004, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by ninjamonkey@26 February 2004 - 23:32
so basically, mozilla is firefox/firebird + thunderbird?
Last I checked Mozilla used mozilla mail and not thunderbird.

Thunderbird is a standalone email and newsgroup client. It is not the one that comes with Mozilla :)

Cl1mh4224rd
02-27-2004, 04:31 PM
Mozilla is the original. It&#39;s a software suite containing a web browser, an email client, and an HTML composer. Mozilla is all three.

For whatever reason (I forget), they decided to split the suite up into its individual components. Thus Firefox (Firebird before that, and Phoenix before that) and Thunderbird were born. I haven&#39;t seen anything about a standalone HTML composer, though.

Firefox and Thunderbird are based on the same code as used in Mozilla, but is being cleaned up and improved (separately from the still-ongoing development of Mozilla, I believe). If I understood correctly, pretty soon they&#39;re going to drop the suite and just offer the individual components.

StyleWarz
02-27-2004, 04:36 PM
Diffrence is:

Mozilla -> Stable Release
FireFox -> Unstable Release

ninjamonkey
02-27-2004, 05:26 PM
is there a way to get links to open in new tabs rather than new windows by default?

shn
02-27-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by ninjamonkey@27 February 2004 - 11:26
is there a way to get links to open in new tabs rather than new windows by default?
Tabbrowser Extentions (http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/#tbe)

There are tons of extentions. if you looking for a particular one just go here (http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/) :)