PDA

View Full Version : Cable Stuff

kaiweiler
03-01-2004, 12:48 AM
Alright is it fine to have a HD and a CD-rom hooked up on the same IDE cable? because here is my problem.

I have the following:
16xDVD rom
24X10X40XCD-RW
80gb 7200rpm HD
30gb 4500rpm HD

Okay, I have a Serial ATA convertor that came with my mobo which looks like this:
http://www.3dnews.ru/documents/5069/abit/at7-seriller.jpg

However the problem here is that I think there is a short in the cable for the SATA convertor, as it only works when the wire is positioned a certain way.

Now, If I were to leave out the SATA convertor and just put both HD's on IDE, then the 30gb would slow down my 80gb significantly.
My question is, if I were to put one HD and a CD-rom on one IDE cable, and the other HD and DVD-rom on the other cable, would the slower HD still slow down my faster HD? are the two IDE cables different channels or are they still on the same channel?

Also, are there any ideas of what else could be done to hook up all these devices without slowing down any?

Cheers

tesco
03-01-2004, 12:54 AM
if they are on different cables then the hard drive isnt going to be slowed down by the other hard drive, it will be slowed down by the cd-rom drive. id just hook up both hard drives to teh one cable for now and see if there is a big performace loss and if there is just buy a new sata cable.

kaiweiler
03-01-2004, 12:58 AM
I'd think there would be a very big difference between running at 7200rpm and 4500rpm don't you? that's quite the difference
and as for buying the new cable, I do not know where to get them, I have never seen them anywhere, this one just came with my ABIT NF7-S

tesco
03-01-2004, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by kaiweiler@29 February 2004 - 19:58
I'd think there would be a very big difference between running at 7200rpm and 4500rpm don't you? that's quite the difference
and as for buying the new cable, I do not know where to get them, I have never seen them anywhere, this one just came with my ABIT NF7-S
its not going to make the drive run at 4500rpm but it will change teh tranfer rate of the drive. the new one is most likely either ata100 or ata133. the old one is probbly ata66 or ata100. if the old is ata66 and new is ata133 it will dumb down the new one to ata66 so it will only run at 66mb/s.

get a benchmark program such as sisoft sandra 2004 and benchmark the file system (hard drives) and then do it again after you have hooked up the drives on the same channel and see teh difference. if it isnt much then it should be fine but if it is a lot i think you will need to get a new sata cable. wherer to get them i have no idea. try tigerdirect.com or newegg.com those are the only us sites i know.

kaiweiler
03-01-2004, 01:18 AM
Alright I will try benching it
right now I just have Aquamark and that doesn't score storage, so I'll get Sandra I guess
And I am in Canada, but tigerdirect.ca is good for canada too, I'll have a look there if it is really slowed down.
The old one is 66 i believe and the new one is 133

clocker
03-01-2004, 01:26 AM
Why screw around with a difficult to find SATA-IDE conversion?
Just get a PCI IDE card...
http://www.qvs.com/sata/images/IDEU-PCI_Adaptor.jpg

kaiweiler
03-01-2004, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by clocker@29 February 2004 - 21:26
SATA would be faster would it not?

tesco
03-01-2004, 01:32 AM
he doesnt need the whole converter he just needs a new sata sable.

kaiweiler
03-01-2004, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@29 February 2004 - 21:32
he doesnt need the whole converter he just needs a new sata sable.
No I don't need the SATA cable, as far as I know, the short is.....
http://www.xnnetworks.net/host/kaiweiler/at7-seriller.jpg

clocker
03-01-2004, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by kaiweiler+29 February 2004 - 17:28--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kaiweiler @ 29 February 2004 - 17:28)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-clocker@29 February 2004 - 21:26
SATA would be faster would it not? [/b][/quote]
Faster than what?
Your limit here is the transfer rate of your drive not the adaptor.

tesco
03-01-2004, 01:47 AM
cut the wires and wire it your self, that what i would do :01:

if u have the exact one in the picture then it looks like you can disconnect the power cable and plug in a floppy drive connector.

kaiweiler
03-01-2004, 02:09 AM
Okay I benched My C: (the 80gb 7200rpm) when it was connected via the SATA and when it was connected on the same channel as the slower drive and this is what I got

W/ SATA:
Benchmark Breakdown
Buffered Read : 40 MB/s
Sequential Read : 47 MB/s
Random Read : 28 MB/s
Buffered Write : 56 MB/s
Sequential Write : 46 MB/s
Random Write : 28 MB/s
Average Access Time : 15 ms (estimated)

W/ IDE:
Benchmark Breakdown
Buffered Read : 37 MB/s
Random Read : 29 MB/s
Buffered Write : 86 MB/s
Random Write : 32 MB/s
Average Access Time : 14 ms (estimated)

Would I notice the difference if I left it connected w/ IDE?

tesco
03-01-2004, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by kaiweiler@29 February 2004 - 21:09
Okay I benched My C: (the 80gb 7200rpm) when it was connected via the SATA and when it was connected on the same channel as the slower drive and this is what I got

W/ SATA:
Benchmark Breakdown
Buffered Read : 40 MB/s
Random Read : 28 MB/s
Buffered Write : 56 MB/s
Random Write : 28 MB/s
Average Access Time : 15 ms (estimated)

W/ IDE:
Benchmark Breakdown
Buffered Read : 37 MB/s
Random Read : 29 MB/s
Buffered Write : 86 MB/s
Random Write : 32 MB/s
Average Access Time : 14 ms (estimated)

Would I notice the difference if I left it connected w/ IDE?
no not at all it looks the same, sometimes it got better results as ide. i would just leave it on the ide.

kaiweiler
03-01-2004, 03:08 AM
Alright, that saves me 30 bucks plus tax for a ata 133 raid controller&#33; or another SATA convertor
Thanks for all your help Rossco&#33; Much appreciated

tesco
03-01-2004, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by kaiweiler@29 February 2004 - 22:08
Alright, that saves me 30 bucks plus tax for a ata 133 raid controller&#33; or another SATA convertor
Thanks for all your help Rossco&#33; Much appreciated
your welcome&#33;

btw, if you do still want to use that sata converter thingy i would just cut the power wires and either find a new molex connector to attach to the end or (what i would so) cut a power supply molex connector off and connect the two together but that of course voids the power supply warranty so onyl do it if its a crappy cheap power supply.

kazaa2002
03-01-2004, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by kaiweiler@1 March 2004 - 00:48
Alright is it fine to have a HD and a CD-rom hooked up on the same IDE cable? because here is my problem.

I have the following:
16xDVD rom
24X10X40XCD-RW
80gb 7200rpm HD
30gb 4500rpm HD

Okay, I have a Serial ATA convertor that came with my mobo which looks like this:
http://www.3dnews.ru/documents/5069/abit/at7-seriller.jpg

However the problem here is that I think there is a short in the cable for the SATA convertor, as it only works when the wire is positioned a certain way.

Now, If I were to leave out the SATA convertor and just put both HD&#39;s on IDE, then the 30gb would slow down my 80gb significantly.
My question is, if I were to put one HD and a CD-rom on one IDE cable, and the other HD and DVD-rom on the other cable, would the slower HD still slow down my faster HD? are the two IDE cables different channels or are they still on the same channel?

Also, are there any ideas of what else could be done to hook up all these devices without slowing down any?

Cheers
kai, if your still interested in replacing that power connector
here are some linkshttp://www.jdr.com/interact/item.asp?itemno=GR-FDD-5Y
http://www.mittoni.com.au/catalog/product_...roducts_id/1383 (http://www.mittoni.com.au/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/1383)

clocker is right, the drives and cache transfer rate are what is important not
the adapter. The secondary cable that the cd-rom is hooked up to, will not give
you the speed of the primary hd ide cable.

sata is the future, but right now it is in its infancy. In a short time, really large sata drives (fast access times and rates)
will become mainstream ...you just have to wait a little while
for the technology to catch up to your wishes. :rolleyes:

rossco&#39;s idea on repairing connector is probably the way to go
and a letter to company who made unit...explaining the defect may also
be rewarding...

kaiweiler
03-01-2004, 09:07 PM
Alright new problem, well not really a problem, just a new hurdle
I am quite sure now that the short is in my actual PSU not the Convertor, as I am not using the convertor, and have both HD&#39;s hooked up with IDE, and after mounting another fan on my CPU HS, and starting up my comp, I got the same problem, the HD only works when the wire is still positioned a certain way, time for a new PSU, as I am to lazy to cut and rewire it.
I do have an old PSU though, it is a Liteon which is a decent company
Just worried it might not be enough power, as it is from my old HP Pavilion
I think it is only 188 Watts :unsure:
If you dont think thats enough, I could buy this 550W (http://www.greenlyph.com/product_info.php?cPath=169&products_id=202)for pretty cheap
Any opinons??

Also I just dropped my CPU temp by about 9-10 degrees by mounting another fan onto my heatsink&#33; w00t

tesco
03-01-2004, 10:11 PM
id rewire it :lol:

the 188watts wont be enough for everything in the computer. i tried 110watts and i could only power my board, cpu and ram. no vid card or hard drive or optical drives. with 250watts i was able to power everyhting except for either my dvd drive, cdrw or hard drive.

definately get atleast 350watts as that ran my system for a good few months until it finally broked. And dont go cheap on it make sure it is an expensive one.

but to rewire it isnt that hard, i use electrical tape. id cut off a molex from your old psu and strip teh wires then cut off the broken molex from your good psu and just twist together each wire with its matching color wire then tape each one together seperately and your done.

_John_Lennon_
03-01-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@1 March 2004 - 17:11
And dont go cheap on it make sure it is an expensive one.

Myself, being a cheap person, recently bought a 580W power supply, for about that 40 dollars that the okia one above is listed as.

Its about 40 dollars underpriced for ANY other 500+ watt power supply, and this one comes with two LED fans, one 120MM and the other 80MM.

I have been told to buy a nice expensive Antec one, or something to that effect, but im going to give this one a chance.

Its the Powmax Demon on newegg btw.

tesco
03-01-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by _John_Lennon_+1 March 2004 - 17:35--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (_John_Lennon_ @ 1 March 2004 - 17:35)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@1 March 2004 - 17:11
And dont go cheap on it make sure it is an expensive one.

Myself, being a cheap person, recently bought a 580W power supply, for about that 40 dollars that the okia one above is listed as.

Its about 40 dollars underpriced for ANY other 500+ watt power supply, and this one comes with two LED fans, one 120MM and the other 80MM.

I have been told to buy a nice expensive Antec one, or something to that effect, but im going to give this one a chance.

Its the Powmax Demon on newegg btw. [/b][/quote]
it kinda makes sense to buy cheap ones since mine lasted about 1 year so lets assume the cheapies last a year. now an expensive one is probably &#036;90 (canadian) and about &#036;25 for a chepie. youll most likely either get a new computer or upgrade and need a higher wattage cpu by the time you get your &#036;90 worth (3.6 years). probably earlier actually.

so i guess it isnt really worth it to buy an expensive one unless there is a risk of it sending extremely high voltages into your delicate electronics and frying them, then it will cost more than &#036;90.