PDA

View Full Version : Case Problems/heat/ I Dont Know.

Peerzy
03-02-2004, 04:54 PM
Recently i got someone to get me a new motherboard because my old one died, and when i got it back it was crashing (just restarting) everyone 30mins, after it had restarted a few times, it would refuse to let windows run (just restarting after its done a POST) i would leave it for 10-15mins and it would work fine untill it crashed again.

Sounds like a heat problem right? Iv added two fans now, an my temps idle on 37(system), 40(CPU) and 97(CPU Kernel{which im not sure what it is}).

But it still crashed like the same, just restarts.

I took the case side off of and started it up and it ran for 8 hours without crashing then i turned it off myself, put the case back on, 30mins later it goes. <_< :unsure: .

I know the CPU and SYS temps are fine, im not sure about CPU KERNEL temps at 87 though :unsure: .

Anyway anyone got any ideas? I dont want to add any more fans if possible but i will if need be, but i have a CPU cooler that works, i fan right next to the CPU and one near the graphics card.

Wierd isnt it.....

EDIT: My specs are:

AMD DURON 1.66 XP Not Overclocked.
512mb DDR RAM
Geforce 4 MMX 440 128mb
20gb + 15gb HARD DRIVE
400Watt BRAND NEW power supply.
2 BLUE LCD FANS

SECOND EDIT:

And the fans are blowing out cool air at the back, and the PSU blows out not hot air but warm.

Peerzyboy :cool2:

clocker
03-02-2004, 05:21 PM
When it is running have you checked the voltages?
Pull off the side panel, get her going and use MBM or SpeedFan to see what the line voltages are.
MBM would be better cause it will keep a running record.
Your temps don&#39;t seem high enough to be causing random reboots/crashes.

I have no idea what the hell "kernel temp" is either....

Peerzy
03-02-2004, 05:25 PM
iv got her running with the sides off now, the same, the temps arn&#39;t that hot compared to what she should be able to run at.

http://server6.uploadit.org/files/peerzyboy-speedfan.JPG

Thats a picture of my spped fan, MBM doesnt work on my motherboard for some reason :blink: .

delphin460
03-02-2004, 05:26 PM
hmmm, sounds like a ventilation problem, make sure airflow = airintake/ airexhaust

by this i mean , its all well and good having lots of fans , but if the air cant get in or out fast enough it will setup a negitave or positive pressure inside the case, in effect nullifying the fans anyway

if you have a fan at the front and a fan at the back , make sure one sux and one blows ( if they both blow it increases neg pressure )

i had this problem when i overclocked the crap out of an athlon and it needed shit loads of cooling, in the end i added more vents in the top of the case and added 2 fans the blew inward, while the front and the back fans blew out

the other way is just leave you case lid off lol, if it works

Peerzy
03-02-2004, 05:29 PM
iv just got two fans blowing, none going out.

What do u mean at the top? shall i saw a hole in the top of my case :blink: :P

i can show off my amazing paint skills and draw a diagram for you if you want? :rolleyes:

clocker
03-02-2004, 05:30 PM
Why is your -12v reading so weird?

Peerzy
03-02-2004, 05:35 PM
i have no idea :(

Im not to good with voltage really <_< .

What should it be reading for a AMD DURON XP 1.66 (im trying to say that without looking like im proud of it <_< :P )

delphin460
03-02-2004, 05:40 PM
um yes thats what i did , drill 2 holes in the top of the case, try and reverse one of the fans and see if it helps, it cant hurt, just reverse mount it

clocker
03-02-2004, 05:41 PM
Well, it should be something like -11.95v or so...NOT -.23v.
You might have a ground problem...although that doesn&#39;t explain why it works with the sidepanel off....
Still, your temps aren&#39;t fatally high.

Peerzy
03-02-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by delphin460@2 March 2004 - 17:40
um yes thats what i did , drill 2 holes in the top of the case, try and reverse one of the fans and see if it helps, it cant hurt, just reverse mount it
It CAN hurt, it can hurt my chances of selling this pc when i get a new one cause some 51 year old women complaing that i drilled a fucking hole in it.

ground problem

I am upstairs :P

Is there anything i can try before drill shit into shit.

Also i took it down to be repaired because i thought this was something they had done and they had the pc in open space and it worked non stop fine with scase on, but open space here it doesnt.

tesco
03-03-2004, 12:18 AM
you need some intake and outtake fans on your computer. just having a cpu and graphics card fan isnt enough.

is there a grill at teh back of the case where you can add another fan? if so buy one and screw it on then starter up and see what happens. ive also found that having the back one blowing in instead of out helps my temps quite a bit since the one at the front of the case arent getting the air to the back of the case.

and for that hole on teh top of the case, go to a site like www.xpcases.com and buy a nice fan grill with a kool design then you can cut the hole, install the grill and add in a fan and it will help the temps plus it will look good.

Robert00000
03-03-2004, 12:25 AM
Did you put the THERMAL PASTE on the cpu? :D . Its the most obvious thing to forget.

The only other time i&#39;ve seen this happen was when a friend OC&#39;d this processor, but as you havent this isnt an issue.

_John_Lennon_
03-03-2004, 02:24 AM
Call me crazy, but is there such thing as a 1666Mhz stock AMD Duron CPU?

Im only finding a 1600Mhz CPU.

Now, there is the 2000+ AMD XP, which is the 1667Mhz.

Anyway, here is what I noticed, your Vcore is a bit low.

Try upping it to 1.6Vs in your BIOS somewhere if you have the option, because that Vcore is reading a bit low.

Virtualbody1234
03-03-2004, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by peerzyboy@2 March 2004 - 10:54

I also have never heard of a Duron XP.

Athlon XP, yes.

tesco
03-03-2004, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234+2 March 2004 - 22:44--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Virtualbody1234 @ 2 March 2004 - 22:44)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-peerzyboy@2 March 2004 - 10:54

Athlon XP, yes. [/b][/quote]
ie heard of a few people talking about duron xp&#39;s (on this forum) but i also have never seen one...

kaiweiler
03-03-2004, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@2 March 2004 - 23:44

Athlon XP, yes.
Click Me (http://www.vibecomputers.com/index.cfm?loc=iview&if=n&vID=191516)
is this the one you have peerzyboy?

lynx
03-03-2004, 07:01 AM
Your problem is not temperature - obviously you don&#39;t have a sensor for Temp3 so it is giving a nonsense reading.

Your problem is Vcore - this should be 1.5V for that processor, your reading of 1.47V is far too low (they are very sensitive in this area). If you can adjust this in bios, increase what it says it is going to give by about 0.03V or until the reading of what it is actually giving is at 1.50V (or up to 1.51V). That may seem like a tiny change in voltage but it is the difference between a stable system and the results are seeing.

If you can&#39;t adjust it take your motherboard back - it is faulty.

But check out -12V too - if the reading is correct you have a faulty PS, if the reading is wrong then again you have a faulty motherboard.

Peerzy
03-03-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by kaiweiler+3 March 2004 - 04:09--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kaiweiler @ 3 March 2004 - 04:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Virtualbody1234@2 March 2004 - 23:44

Athlon XP, yes.
is this the one you have peerzyboy? [/b][/quote]
No,

its a big sticky thing, a cubiod but going upwards in sticks. I thoughjt the man had fitted a atlon but now my bios is telling me its a duron, same with AIDA 32. where as before my pc got fortmatted it was reading as an atlon xp.

is the motherboard faulty then because they only just fitted it. <_<

lynx
03-03-2004, 06:25 PM
As I said, 0.03V may not seem much, but imagine this:

In order to set a bit in the cpu, you have to push the electrons over a hurdle. If you don&#39;t have quite enough energy, you may not always get over that hurdle. So you need to make sure you&#39;ve got enough energy.

Your system may appear to work at first, but as your temp goes up the resistance also goes up, so the energy you&#39;ve got is not as useful. The result is that your system may appear to be stable at first but then become unstable, which sounds like what you are describing.

A similar effect happens when you overclock. In order to get over that hurdle faster you need to supply more energy - this is why you have to raise Vcore. Unfortunately this has a side effect - higher temps. And as before, this increases the resistance, which reduces the useful energy, which makes the system unstable. This is why it is VERY important to get temps down when OCing.

I had bad experiences with XFX mobo&#39;s recently with regard to Vcore, but obviously the voltage regulator will have come from an external supplier. You can be sure they are not supplying regulators only to XFX so there must be other mobo manufacturers with the same problem - maybe your&#39;s is one of them.

The bottom line is that if you can&#39;t adjust Vcore then the mobo is no good to you, but I would suggest you take it back even if you can make some adjustment - it is obviously faulty.

atiVidia
03-03-2004, 07:58 PM
there is also a chance that the voltage mods are shorted out

this happened with my laptop: the vmods shorted out, and my laptop would die after 30 mins

then 25

and one day, boom, it crashed after a minute and wouldnt start again.

_John_Lennon_
03-03-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by peerzyboy+3 March 2004 - 11:38--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (peerzyboy @ 3 March 2004 - 11:38)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by kaiweiler@3 March 2004 - 04:09
<!--QuoteBegin-Virtualbody1234@2 March 2004 - 23:44

Athlon XP, yes.
No,

its a big sticky thing, a cubiod but going upwards in sticks. I thoughjt the man had fitted a atlon but now my bios is telling me its a duron, same with AIDA 32. where as before my pc got fortmatted it was reading as an atlon xp.

Peerzyboy :cool2: [/b][/quote]
The real thing here is wether its a Duron, or an XP.

It cant be both.

Either way, the Vcore is to low. I would try uping the Vcore to 1.55 (or 1.50) if you can, and that should fix the problem in my opinion.

Peerzy
03-03-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by _John_Lennon_+3 March 2004 - 21:41--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (_John_Lennon_ @ 3 March 2004 - 21:41)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by peerzyboy@3 March 2004 - 11:38

Athlon XP, yes.
No,

It cant be both.

Either way, the Vcore is to low. I would try uping the Vcore to 1.55 (or 1.50) if you can, and that should fix the problem in my opinion. [/b][/quote]
well the guy who did it for me works in a shop, he told me he was putting an ATLON XP 2000 and thats what my BIOS and AIDE 32 told me untill recently i got a new motherboard and now it tells me its a DURON. it goes into socket 1, but it is not a thin chip, more like a thin athlon with lots of sliver spikes comeoing out of the top.

Sorry i havent had time to read all the posts because i was in a hurry earlyier.

Just for refrence um.... how would i up the voltage? is it in thew bIOS because im pritty sure that its grey&#39;d out. I&#39;ll have a look in a min to be sure.

tesco
03-03-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by peerzyboy+3 March 2004 - 18:12--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (peerzyboy @ 3 March 2004 - 18:12)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by _John_Lennon_@3 March 2004 - 21:41

Athlon XP, yes.
No,

It cant be both.

Either way, the Vcore is to low. I would try uping the Vcore to 1.55 (or 1.50) if you can, and that should fix the problem in my opinion.
well the guy who did it for me works in a shop, he told me he was putting an ATLON XP 2000 and thats what my BIOS and AIDE 32 told me untill recently i got a new motherboard and now it tells me its a DURON. it goes into socket 1, but it is not a thin chip, more like a thin athlon with lots of sliver spikes comeoing out of the top.

Sorry i havent had time to read all the posts because i was in a hurry earlyier.

Just for refrence um.... how would i up the voltage? is it in thew bIOS because im pritty sure that its grey&#39;d out. I&#39;ll have a look in a min to be sure.

yeah it will be in the bios usually under advanced chipset features or advanced chipset options.

Peerzy
03-03-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+3 March 2004 - 23:30--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 3 March 2004 - 23:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by peerzyboy@3 March 2004 - 18:12

Athlon XP, yes.
No,

It cant be both.

yeah it will be in the bios usually under advanced chipset features or advanced chipset options. [/b][/quote]
I&#39;ll have a look in about 20mins before i go to bed.

Hey how long do you think we can keep quoting like this? :lol:

tesco
03-03-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by peerzyboy+3 March 2004 - 18:34--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (peerzyboy @ 3 March 2004 - 18:34)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@3 March 2004 - 23:30

Athlon XP, yes.
No,

It cant be both.

yeah it will be in the bios usually under advanced chipset features or advanced chipset options.

hmm lets see... ill make this post really long by doing...

...this...

Peerzy
03-03-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+3 March 2004 - 23:38--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 3 March 2004 - 23:38)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by peerzyboy@3 March 2004 - 18:34

Athlon XP, yes.
No,

It cant be both.

...this... [/b][/quote]
wow good idea&#33; :lol:

well only 15mins till i check :P . so nothing much going down in hardware world recently <_< .

Where&#39;s clocker with some new ideas wehn u need him :rolleyes: .

tesco
03-03-2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by peerzyboy+3 March 2004 - 18:48--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (peerzyboy @ 3 March 2004 - 18:48)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@3 March 2004 - 23:38

Originally posted by peerzyboy@3 March 2004 - 18:34

Athlon XP, yes.
No,

It cant be both.

...this...
wow good idea&#33; :lol:

well only 15mins till i check :P . so nothing much going down in hardware world recently <_< .

Where&#39;s clocker with some new ideas wehn u need him :rolleyes: .

yeah its getting so boring...i want my computer to break so i can post some questions lol.

clocker
03-03-2004, 11:59 PM
Clocker has been very busy modding a case for his sister&#39;s new computer.
When he is finished, he will be hopping in his trusty (rusty) old car and travelling to Chicago ( among other places) to finish the build.
He will be in and out of touch for about a month.

I think that&#39;s what he told me...

Peerzy
03-04-2004, 12:02 AM
i know <_< .

My mate (who is as thick as pig shit as he looks at computers) susgested that i should take one fan drille four small holes in the side case and have it outside insted of one big grated whole <_< :P .

um.............. :ghostface:

after adding my two new blue LCD fans i cant get to sleep now because it glows to bright :( because iv had to have the case off now.

O is it safe to leave the side panel off of the pc and leave it on for days on end?

Peerzy
03-04-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by clocker@3 March 2004 - 23:59
Clocker has been very busy modding a case for his sister&#39;s new computer.
When he is finished, he will be hopping in his trusty (rusty) old car and travelling to Chicago ( among other places) to finish the build.
He will be in and out of touch for about a month.

I think that&#39;s what he told me...
you are clocker :blink:

:helpsmile:

no clocker for a month? might as well set a date to burn/bury hardware world :lol: . Just joking VB1234 carm down :rolleyes: .

um... so what did u do 2 ur sis&#39;s pc?

tesco
03-04-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by peerzyboy@3 March 2004 - 19:02
i know <_< .

My mate (who is as thick as pig shit as he looks at computers) susgested that i should take one fan drille four small holes in the side case and have it outside insted of one big grated whole <_< :P .

um.............. :ghostface:

after adding my two new blue LCD fans i cant get to sleep now because it glows to bright :( because iv had to have the case off now.

O is it safe to leave the side panel off of the pc and leave it on for days on end?

we finished our quoting now?

yes its okay to leave the side panel off as long as you dont accidently spill a drink and let it get in or kick the insides or something...or if u have a dog or cat :ph34r:

clocker
03-04-2004, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by peerzyboy@3 March 2004 - 16:02

Bling-bling has it&#39;s price.
Sleep appears to be yours.

Sure you can leave the sidepanel off indefinitely.
You should run a bit cooler and it&#39;s a very Darwinian method of controlling the cat population.

delphin460
03-04-2004, 12:10 AM
lol i have never put the sides back on my rig since i built it about a year ago , so i would say yes to that

Peerzy
03-04-2004, 12:14 AM
gd no i dont have a dog or a cat but a 19 year old friend who has the IQ of one. With the case off it hasent crashed/restarted in about 48 hours now however i put the case back on within 15mins, just fucking pissin me off.

Fuck sleep i want some more neon shit&#33; i just read on overclockers i think that u can mod ur mouse to have LCD lights in it :blink: .

now i just need to get my head around this hwole &#39;overclocking&#39; thing. i upped the time by a couple of hours but nothing seems to be running faster :helpsmile: :P .

tesco
03-04-2004, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by peerzyboy@3 March 2004 - 19:14
gd no i dont have a dog or a cat but a 19 year old friend who has the IQ of one. With the case off it hasent crashed/restarted in about 48 hours now however i put the case back on within 15mins, just fucking pissin me off.

Fuck sleep i want some more neon shit&#33; i just read on overclockers i think that u can mod ur mouse to have LCD lights in it :blink: .

now i just need to get my head around this hwole &#39;overclocking&#39; thing. i upped the time by a couple of hours but nothing seems to be running faster :helpsmile: :P .

its been over 20 minutes have you tried upping the vcore yet?

Peerzy
03-04-2004, 12:52 AM
i had a quick look and im pritty sure its grey&#39;d out because theers a load of temp shit grey;d out and nothing more about temps.

this is some info about my CPU:

CPU Properties
CPU Type AMD Duron XP, 1659 MHz (6.25 x 265)
CPU Alias Applebred
CPU Stepping B0
L1 Code Cache 64 KB
L1 Data Cache 64 KB
L2 Cache 64 KB (On-Die, Full-Speed)

CPU Physical Info
Package Type 453 Pin PGA
Package Size 4.95 cm x 4.95 cm
Process Technology 6Mi, 0.13 um, CMOS, Cu
Core Voltage 1.5 V
I/O Voltage 1.6 V
Typical Power 45.5 - 53.0 W&nbsp; (depending on clock speed)
Maximum Power 57.0 W&nbsp; (depending on clock speed)

CPU Manufacturer
Company Name Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Product Information http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Produc...,30_118,00.html (http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118,00.html)

CPU Utilization
CPU #1 3 %

Problems & Suggestions
Problem Most 3D games run better with at least 256 KB L2 cache.

i need some sleep now cause its passed midnight here but i&#39;ll have a much more detailed look 2moro.

Mïcrösöül°V³
03-04-2004, 01:19 AM
as stupid as this may sound........have you checked for a pinched wire somewhere between the case and the cover you are removing? sounds alot like a short. maybe when the cover is attached, it is flexing the case somewhere so as to be touching a powered part of the board, PSU, etc.... I would look..............cuz it dont seem like any cooling issue to me. there seems to be a corelation between the cover and the CPU crashing.

Peerzy
03-04-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Mïcrösöül°V³@4 March 2004 - 01:19
as stupid as this may sound........have you checked for a pinched wire somewhere between the case and the cover you are removing? sounds alot like a short. maybe when the cover is attached, it is flexing the case somewhere so as to be touching a powered part of the board, PSU, etc.... I would look..............cuz it dont seem like any cooling issue to me. there seems to be a corelation between the cover and the CPU crashing.
no, theres no wires on the way, im not that stupid :lol: .

atiVidia
03-04-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Mïcrösöül°V³@3 March 2004 - 20:19
i sed sumtin similar, but my idea was a mobo short-out...

Peerzy
03-04-2004, 08:37 PM
Its a brand new mobo and i got some guy from a shop to fit it so i doubt it, im still puzzled tho, it could be a faulty mobo or the v core thingy.

Iv had her running for about 72 hours non stop without the case on perfectly fine.

tesco
03-04-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by peerzyboy@4 March 2004 - 15:37
Its a brand new mobo and i got some guy from a shop to fit it so i doubt it, im still puzzled tho, it could be a faulty mobo or the v core thingy.

Iv had her running for about 72 hours non stop without the case on perfectly fine.

what is the motherboard manufacturer and model number? you can use aida32 to find it.

Peerzy
03-04-2004, 09:46 PM
i know the board is defently an &#39;aopen&#39; and this should help with the model number:

Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID 10/24/2003-KM400-6A6LYAW9C-00
Motherboard Name Unknown

Its a pritty new one, 8X AGP, USB2 etc etc...

Mïcrösöül°V³
03-05-2004, 12:30 AM
does the puter act up if you put the cover on while its running. like, you say its been running 72hrs, if you put the cover on right now, what does the comp do? does it freak out right away, or take a few minutes or what. also, try another case, and if it works, then the case you now have is possessed by satan and should be burned immediately. :P

_John_Lennon_
03-05-2004, 06:50 PM
CPU Properties
CPU Type AMD Duron XP, 1659 MHz (6.25 x 265)
CPU Alias Applebred

What the hell.

Well, its not a 2000+, its a newer Duron, on the applebred core.

What I dont get, is that I KNOW 6.25 x 265 cannot be the stock setting for the 1600 Duron.

Now im just speculating here, but it sounds like your tech guy might have given you a very low level new Duron CPU, and overclocked it to look like the 2000+. Although I havnt heard of being able to set the multiplier to 6.25.

Check the model number on your CPU if you can. Take the heatsink and fan off (with the computer off) and post the model number here for us, if you can.

Also, as for what motherboard you have, it says the model number somewhere on it on the motherboard itself, but check here and see if this helps any.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?...rtby=14&order=1 (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=22&manufactory=1316&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1)

lynx
03-05-2004, 10:16 PM
Amd haven&#39;t built a processor with a base frequency approaching anything like 265MHz. However, some mobo&#39;s report the base frequency doubled because they know they will otherwise get questions like "my memory is DDR266, why is it only running at 133MHz?"

So in all probability it is running at 12.5*133MHz = 1662.5MHz. Maybe the supplier has raised the multiplier slightly. Or maybe it isn&#39;t the processor you think it is and they&#39;ve raised the multiplier a lot, and made a mistake.

As JL says, the only way to find out is to look at the chip, although even that may not be conclusive. Overclock Amd chips enough and they appear change their identity, so even the sticker on your chip may not be enough.

Peerzy
03-06-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by lynx@5 March 2004 - 22:16
Amd haven&#39;t built a processor with a base frequency approaching anything like 265MHz. However, some mobo&#39;s report the base frequency doubled because they know they will otherwise get questions like "my memory is DDR266, why is it only running at 133MHz?"

So in all probability it is running at 12.5*133MHz = 1662.5MHz. Maybe the supplier has raised the multiplier slightly. Or maybe it isn&#39;t the processor you think it is and they&#39;ve raised the multiplier a lot, and made a mistake.

As JL says, the only way to find out is to look at the chip, although even that may not be conclusive. Overclock Amd chips enough and they appear change their identity, so even the sticker on your chip may not be enough.
in the BIOS it says set a setting between 133 and 165 and if u up it, it oc&#39;s it so it is 133*12.5 yeah.

my board is a slightly modified version of this:
AOpen nForce3 150 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754 CPU, Model "MK89-L" -RETAIL

mine is the EXACT same spec but the bits onn the board are a moved a bit around.

On my old motherboard (sum shit thing that had a geforce 2 innit told me that my AMD was an ATLON XP 2000 and we did ask him to fit it.

Peerzy
03-06-2004, 04:00 PM
bump

tesco
03-06-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by peerzyboy+5 March 2004 - 19:16--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (peerzyboy @ 5 March 2004 - 19:16)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lynx@5 March 2004 - 22:16

in the BIOS it says set a setting between 133 and 165 and if u up it, it oc&#39;s it so it is 133*12.5 yeah.

my board is a slightly modified version of this:
AOpen nForce3 150 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754 CPU, Model "MK89-L" -RETAIL

mine is the EXACT same spec but the bits onn the board are a moved a bit around.

On my old motherboard (sum shit thing that had a geforce 2 innit told me that my AMD was an ATLON XP 2000 and we did ask him to fit it.

that motherboard name isnt riht, the nforce 3 chipset is for athlon 64 processors and the socket 754 is also only for athlon 64 processors so something isnt right there.

Peerzy
03-06-2004, 06:54 PM
well it has all those featurwes (not sure about the socket or onboard, but it has that ram slots and sub and looks alot like that.

Peerzy
03-06-2004, 06:57 PM
Just had a lok at my motherboard and it had &#39;MK77M-8XM&#39; written on it.

_John_Lennon_
03-06-2004, 07:16 PM
Is this it then,

http://usa.aopen.com/products/mb/MK77M.htm

Peerzy
03-06-2004, 07:23 PM
yes...and no. it looks very alike but has a few tiny differences. And im sure its USB 2.0 not 1.1 and it has 6 usb ports not 4.

tesco
03-06-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by peerzyboy@6 March 2004 - 14:23
yes...and no. it looks very alike but has a few tiny differences. And im sure its USB 2.0 not 1.1 and it has 6 usb ports not 4.

This one? (http://usa.aopen.com/products/mb/MK77M-8XN.htm)

Peerzy
03-06-2004, 07:47 PM
Yes and i looked on my board again and i read it wrong that is the correct name for it as well.

lynx
03-06-2004, 08:11 PM
First of all you need to make sure you&#39;ve got the latest bios (version R1.02).

If not, get it here (http://download.aopen.com.tw/downloads/default.asp?Software=All&searchoption=keyword&sel=category&selpage=&seltype=BIOS&keyword=MK77M-8XN&Language=)

It is quite possible that your old mobo didn&#39;t support your chip. The Athlon XP2000+ would indeed have run at 1667 MHz (12.5*133MHz), but if the mobo did not recognise that latest range of Duron chips it would probably report an Athlon simply because of the frequency.

The only way to be sure is to look at the chip, but it is beginning to look as if you&#39;ve been had.

Peerzy
03-06-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by lynx@6 March 2004 - 20:11
First of all you need to make sure you&#39;ve got the latest bios (version R1.02).

If not, get it here (http://download.aopen.com.tw/downloads/default.asp?Software=All&searchoption=keyword&sel=category&selpage=&seltype=BIOS&keyword=MK77M-8XN&Language=)

It is quite possible that your old mobo didn&#39;t support your chip. The Athlon XP2000+ would indeed have run at 1667 MHz (12.5*133MHz), but if the mobo did not recognise that latest range of Duron chips it would probably report an Athlon simply because of the frequency.

The only way to be sure is to look at the chip, but it is beginning to look as if you&#39;ve been had.
do i NEED thelatest BIOS, everytime i get a new BIOS i hjave to sped a week fixing what iv done, i dont do BIOS&#39;s anymore&#33;

tesco
03-06-2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by peerzyboy+6 March 2004 - 16:06--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (peerzyboy @ 6 March 2004 - 16:06)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lynx@6 March 2004 - 20:11

do i NEED thelatest BIOS, everytime i get a new BIOS i hjave to sped a week fixing what iv done, i dont do BIOS&#39;s anymore&#33;

yeah you will have to get the latest bios, the latest on says it adds support for duron 133 1.4-1.8ghz cpus, yours is one of those.

Peerzy
03-06-2004, 11:00 PM
ahhhh shit&#33; i&#39;ll get it 2moro when im less drunk and more not high.

gungrave
03-10-2004, 01:11 PM
i had a problem like that with my pc.
i got a new hard drive installed it worked fine i installed halo (a coppy) then it restarted my pc cos there was some thing wrong with the game and then when i turned my pc on it didnt work...
so i took out the new hard drive turned it on then it worked turned it off. put the new hard drive back in again then it didnt work. by the time i did this a few times the wire was ripped at the sides from pulling it on and stuff.
so i just went back to using the 1 hard drive but then it started restarting its self cos of the wire was cut stupid thing.
so the next dayh i got a new wire for my hard drive&#39;s and its working fine apart from i had to format the drive but it all works fine shame i lost my games.
but all the music was on my new hard drive :D

so u should check ur wires and see if theres any thing wrong with them.

all so when i had a problem ages a go it said missing file or crrupt (look at the ram it was half out cos i was messing about with the pc) took it out turned it on. worked fine :)
next day put the ram back in and all works fine.

so check all ur drives and ram chips and stuff there might be some thing loose? or a wire cut?

Peerzy
04-03-2004, 03:01 PM
Right iv updated my BIOS now i downloaded that thing Lyn said and it updated the BISO from windows, and when it rebooted it had the version number as the one iv just updated to but it said CMOS was reverting to default push F1 to contiune and i ddi and here i am.

PS VB1234 could you close my other thread about the RAM problem so that people reply in here and not there :)

Peerzy
04-03-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by lynx@6 March 2004 - 20:11

Right iv got that and it&#39;s still doing it, what is your next tip/idea?

Peerzy
04-03-2004, 09:45 PM
It still does it when i do things demanding of the PC (folding, playing games for long itmes) etc etc....

any ideas?

lynx
04-04-2004, 03:10 AM
Tell us your voltages again. The original pic is missing.

I can still find no reference to a Duron 1.66GHz even on AMD&#39;s site.

Looking back, your Vcore was definitely too low, and if it is an Athlon chip as you originally thought it is MUCH too low. But once again we won&#39;t find out what you&#39;ve got unless you actually look at the writing on the chip.

In any case, adjusting Vcore if available will either be in the Advanced Chipset Features section or the Frequency/Voltage section, but I suspect the latter is for information only.

Peerzy
04-04-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by lynx@4 April 2004 - 03:10
Tell us your voltages again. The original pic is missing.

I can still find no reference to a Duron 1.66GHz even on AMD&#39;s site.

Looking back, your Vcore was definitely too low, and if it is an Athlon chip as you originally thought it is MUCH too low. But once again we won&#39;t find out what you&#39;ve got unless you actually look at the writing on the chip.

In any case, adjusting Vcore if available will either be in the Advanced Chipset Features section or the Frequency/Voltage section, but I suspect the latter is for information only.
I didnt install the chip, a guy at a shop did it for me, i will go into my BISO and have a look at all my Voltages and post back in about half an hour. :)

Peerzy
04-04-2004, 02:37 PM
http://server5.uploadit.org/files/peerzyboy-speedfan007.JPG

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :unsure:

Peerzy
04-04-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by lynx@4 April 2004 - 03:10
Yeah its all grey&#39;d out i can&#39;t change any of it :(

tesco
04-04-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by peerzyboy@4 April 2004 - 09:37
http://server5.uploadit.org/files/peerzyboy-speedfan007.JPG

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :unsure:
those readings are probably not very accurate, you should check in your BIOS and write down what they say...

Then you gotta remove the heatsync and look at the chip (computer has to be off obviously or youll fry the chip) you gotta write down the numbers on it, everything you can find, and post them. then to reapply the heatsync you will need some thermal paste, cant use the old stuff, so you will have to buy some if you dont already have.

Peerzy
04-04-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@4 April 2004 - 16:00
Then you gotta remove the heatsync and look at the chip (computer has to be off obviously or youll fry the chip) you gotta write down the numbers on it, everything you can find, and post them. then to reapply the heatsync you will need some thermal paste, cant use the old stuff, so you will have to buy some if you dont already have.
Iv never done a CPU before like that. Is there any way to get around it?

tesco
04-04-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by peerzyboy+4 April 2004 - 13:25--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (peerzyboy @ 4 April 2004 - 13:25)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@4 April 2004 - 16:00
Iv never done a CPU before like that. Is there any way to get around it? [/b][/quote]
no

Peerzy
04-05-2004, 10:42 PM
Would i be able to tell from the chips colour what it is, so i dont have to take the heat sink off? Or something like that? :unsure:

tesco
04-05-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by peerzyboy@5 April 2004 - 17:42
Would i be able to tell from the chips colour what it is, so i dont have to take the heat sink off? Or something like that? :unsure:
i tihnk the only way to know is by the numbers, but tell color anyway

RGX
04-05-2004, 10:52 PM
Dont worry peerzy boy, its as easy as. Just make sure you are careful unlocking the heatsink clip (use a screwdriver but watch it doesnt slip) and ground yourself on the case first in case you touch anything.

tesco
04-05-2004, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by RGX@5 April 2004 - 17:52
Dont worry peerzy boy, its as easy as. Just make sure you are careful unlocking the heatsink clip (use a screwdriver but watch it doesnt slip) and ground yourself on the case first in case you touch anything.
u forgot that he will need some thermal compound to replace the used thermal pad. you cant put the processor on with a used thermal pad or teh cpu temps will skyrocket.

Peerzy
04-05-2004, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+5 April 2004 - 22:49--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 5 April 2004 - 22:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-peerzyboy@5 April 2004 - 17:42
i tihnk the only way to know is by the numbers, but tell color anyway [/b][/quote]
The chip is brown/creamy i think, its hard to tell because of the massive heat sink.

here are some pictures that may help...

Image Resized
http://aa.1asphost.com/peerzyboy/Image(15).jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'> ('http://aa.1asphost.com/peerzyboy/Image(15).jpg')
Sorry its a bit green there, and the camera is tilted so just look that the bottem of the grey heat sink.
[img]http://aa.1asphost.com/peerzyboy/Image(16).jpg

Sorry for the bad images, its the only thing i had <_< .

lynx
04-05-2004, 11:36 PM
Can&#39;t see the chip from those shots. By definition it has to be covered by the heatsink. The only chance you&#39;ve got of seeing the colour of the chip without removing the heatsink is from the side, and with a very bright lamp.

RGX
04-05-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+5 April 2004 - 23:01--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 5 April 2004 - 23:01)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-RGX@5 April 2004 - 17:52
u forgot that he will need some thermal compound to replace the used thermal pad. you cant put the processor on with a used thermal pad or teh cpu temps will skyrocket. [/b][/quote]
I did. ;)

But its probably not a good idea.

Peerzy
04-05-2004, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by lynx@5 April 2004 - 23:36
Can&#39;t see the chip from those shots. By definition it has to be covered by the heatsink. The only chance you&#39;ve got of seeing the colour of the chip without removing the heatsink is from the side, and with a very bright lamp.
I have a giant lamp here but the gfx card is in the way. "moro im going to remove that, and i will have very clear view of the chip, will post more pictures then :)