PDA

View Full Version : Cpu Temps

scottwile
03-02-2004, 09:42 PM
my CPU temps seem to be very high.
http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/CPU%20temps.JPG
I'm not OCing and i'm running a system made by hp.
I'm using MBM 5. (mother board monitor 5)
what could the problem be?

EDIT: those temps are from when i got home form school with system doing nothing all day. but the catch is i have my case open with a 17 inch normal everyday house fan blowing it on it. is that bad for it? and the 17 inch fan is only on speed 1 of 3
thanks

tesco
03-03-2004, 12:05 AM
that is very high. fell the heatsync and see if its really hot feeling, if not you might not be reading teh right sensor but if it is the real temp then that is bad and i recomend you clean out teh case and install a few fans if possible.

have you ever removed teh heatsync? if so then you will have to buy some enw thermal paste. i recomend arctic silver.

_John_Lennon_
03-03-2004, 02:28 AM
What are the specs of the HP system, like motherboard, model number, CPU model number, something to that effect.

And what kind of cooling does it have in there? Just heatsink? Heatsink with fan? Heatsink with fan using ducting channel to go out the back?"

scottwile
03-03-2004, 03:33 AM
its cooled with a huge heatsink and a 80 mm fan on that heat sink. its an athlon 2800xp

my temps are good now that i turned the big 17 inch house fan off. i think that it was blowing so much air in that the cpu fan wasn't going right or something. my current temps are case 35 D/C and cpu 37 D/C
that was stupid of me to put that fan there but i figured it would help it but i figured wrong i guess.

and i will likely get some artic silver 5 for it from BIG_AL and kaiweiler. but i was wondering if i change the thermal paste will that ruin my hp warrentys and stuff?

thanks alot

:)

kaiweiler
03-03-2004, 03:36 AM
I'm pretty sure we already killed your warrenties by formatting! :P

abu_has_the_power
03-03-2004, 03:36 AM
hps tend to run hotter cuz of their crappy case designs and bad air flow. i wouldn't worry. mainly cuz if hp designed it that way, it won't burn. my old hp didn't even have a hs. i had a duct thing with 1 fan. and i used that mofo for 4 years with no probs in hardware

tesco
03-03-2004, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by scottwile@2 March 2004 - 22:33
i was wondering if i change the thermal paste will that ruin my hp warrentys and stuff?
youve already ruined the warratny by opening the computer to have that fan blowing into it but since your temps are ok now (id kill for 37c with my stupid motherboard) i wouldnt change the thermal paste.

hps tend to run hotter cuz of their crappy case designs and bad air flow. i wouldn't worry. mainly cuz if hp designed it that way, it won't burn. my old hp didn't even have a hs. i had a duct thing with 1 fan. and i used that mofo for 4 years with no probs in hardware
:lol: what processor did it have, a 486?

scottwile
03-03-2004, 03:45 AM
i have a space for a 90mm fan on the back of my case. should i make it intake or out take? i only have one 80mm fan on my cpu currently.

kaiweiler
03-03-2004, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@2 March 2004 - 23:43
youve already ruined the warratny by opening the computer to have that fan blowing into it but since your temps are ok now (id kill for 37c with my stupid motherboard) i wouldnt change the thermal paste.
:o You kill the warrenty just by opening it?! What a cheap piece of shit company
Wile, you have no warrenty whatsoever then lol, especially since we formatted your drive, and opened your comp about 20 times lol

scottwile
03-03-2004, 03:58 AM
there would be no way for them to tell if i opened my computer on not would there?
:frusty: :frusty:

abu_has_the_power
03-03-2004, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+2 March 2004 - 22:43--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 2 March 2004 - 22:43)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-scottwile@2 March 2004 - 22:33
i was wondering if i change the thermal paste will that ruin my hp warrentys and stuff?

hps tend to run hotter cuz of their crappy case designs and bad air flow. i wouldn&#39;t worry. mainly cuz if hp designed it that way, it won&#39;t burn. my old hp didn&#39;t even have a hs. i had a duct thing with 1 fan. and i used that mofo for 4 years with no probs in hardware
:lol: what processor did it have, a 486? [/b][/quote]
a p3. got it in 1999. and i got my new comp (sig) in 2003. so almost 4 years

bigdawgfoxx
03-03-2004, 04:03 AM
Hell no, unless you had to break a piece of paper to get in or something...so no...just make sure if you have to send it back u put all the stock parts back...and put dust on them haha

scottwile
03-03-2004, 04:05 AM
alrighty, and i ahve been hold off from overclocking for warrenty reasons. if i don&#39;t burn the cpu right out how would they know i overclocked if i set everything back to normal?

tesco
03-03-2004, 04:07 AM
all HP&#39;s ive seen (including the one i have which is my old computer) they put a sticker between teh back of the side wall and the back of teh computer (kinda confusing to explain) but when you take off the side the sticker it leaves a marking that says warranty void all over the place that the sitcker was sitting.

it may not be on the latest hp computers but mine and a lot of others ive seen have it.

scottwile
03-03-2004, 04:09 AM
thats pretty smart of them, but they can&#39;t beat me. kaiweiler and i will figure something out. thats for all the help
i&#39;m heading to bed.

gungrave
03-03-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@3 March 2004 - 04:07
all HP&#39;s ive seen (including the one i have which is my old computer) they put a sticker between teh back of the side wall and the back of teh computer (kinda confusing to explain) but when you take off the side the sticker it leaves a marking that says warranty void all over the place that the sitcker was sitting.

it may not be on the latest hp computers but mine and a lot of others ive seen have it.
i got my hp this year and it had a sticker and my bro went in my pc when i was out and ripped it. :angry:
so if i brake my pc then i will just pull it off and say i never had 1 :D