PDA

View Full Version : Lets Make A Game

TARPD
03-03-2004, 06:31 PM
i wanna make a game, a mmorpg style gta streetrace drivesim em up.

i can make 3d stuff but i wouldnt know where to start on a physics engine or that kind of stuff

discuss, dont flame please :)

DarthInsinuate
03-03-2004, 06:49 PM
you'll need funding to purchase all your development hardware and software
then you'll need a team to help you out, unless you're really talented
then you'll need a publisher who thinks your game is worth printing

a better idea would be to get yourself a job as director of a good development company

not having done any of these things or researched them i wouldn't really know - try writing really polite letters to some people in the industry asking for advice, politely

TARPD
03-03-2004, 07:04 PM
you'll need funding to purchase all your development hardware and software

look where you are :rolleyes:

then you'll need a team to help you out, unless you're really talented

i was hoping we here would would make it

then you'll need a publisher who thinks your game is worth printing

nah, we just need the internet. i wasn't after a profit (cept maybe it being a portfolio for all involved)

please dont laugh at me :ph34r:

Haz
03-03-2004, 08:05 PM
I think its a great idea, but these in house projects never seem to work out, nobody ever wants do do their work. <_<

For one they don&#39;t realize how much work is actually involved in making a game, ecspecially an Rpg, and since their not getting paid or any other kind of incentive, they put it aside as a "I&#39;ll get to it later" project.

Always seems to happen.

RGX
03-03-2004, 11:05 PM
If you want any photoshop done for an interface or buttons or whatever, i can do em if you want.

TARPD
03-03-2004, 11:35 PM
2 in so far maybe

h1
03-03-2004, 11:44 PM
Well, if you&#39;re serious, the AMP2 engine (I think) from Slam Software (I think) is available for only &#036;199 (I think), which shouldn&#39;t scare off serious developers.

Hey, it beats a license for the Source or Unreal Warfare engine. :P

TARPD
03-03-2004, 11:54 PM
whats amp2?

Peerzy
03-03-2004, 11:56 PM
well i could...

test :lol:

Or i could do voice acting, i can do some kinda wierd justin &#39;the darkness&#39; hawkins mixed with max payne voice :blink:

Or i could advitise by....

shouting really loud with a megaphone :rolleyes:

See even the computer challenged can help :P

Peerzyboy :cool2:

h1
03-04-2004, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by TARPD@3 March 2004 - 18:54
whats amp2?
:huh: I already said so, it&#39;s a game engine. :ninja:

unreal_dude
03-04-2004, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by TARPD@4 March 2004 - 00:01
i wanna make a game, a mmorpg style gta streetrace drivesim em up.

i can make 3d stuff but i wouldnt know where to start on a physics engine or that kind of stuff

discuss, dont flame please :)
Y dont u guys try getting into Mod scene ...... which will get u experience plus the portfolio u mentioned .......

If u r lucky u might get a break &#33;&#33;

Jus my 2 cents .cheers.Bye.

Evil Gemini
03-04-2004, 08:55 AM
A mmorpg based on GTA3 would kick ass :)

Maybe if you team up with the guys that are making the MTA mod, you can get something going.

I have played MTA a while ago and its really fun.

I can imagine a mmorpg where you do missions for other players and vise versa :)

unreal_dude
03-04-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Evil Gemini@4 March 2004 - 14:25
A mmorpg based on GTA3 would kick ass :)

Maybe if you team up with the guys that are making the MTA mod, you can get something going.

I have played MTA a while ago and its really fun.

I can imagine a mmorpg where you do missions for other players and vise versa :)
The next installment of GTA :San Andreas will probably have a multiplayer mode like the one Gemini suggested and yeah it will probably kick ass &#33;

:lol:

TARPD
03-04-2004, 01:06 PM
i meant what games is amp2 used in?

ok, ok, i&#39;ll make some cars and stuff for Vice City before setting off on my own project. you happy now you&#39;ve crushed my dreams :(

Bowen747x
03-04-2004, 02:33 PM
no1 crushed ur dreams but urself by giving up which was ur choice alone, u could continue persueing the dreams but ur not :P
i wouldn try 2 make a game w/ ppl throgh a forum tho :huh:

RGX
03-04-2004, 02:42 PM
Moddings probably thr best option, gives you experience.....mind you, making a little top down RPG probably wouldnt be too hard

TARPD
03-04-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by RGX@4 March 2004 - 14:42
Moddings probably thr best option, gives you experience.....mind you, making a little top down RPG probably wouldnt be too hard
i made stuff with those rpg makers and gamemakers but they dont have a physics engine (i tried to make a gta1 ripoff) but couldnt make the cars skid or turn properly, just slide about)

Haz
03-04-2004, 04:37 PM
I think you could put together a decent physics engine with a few amateur game makers.

Ika (http://www.verge-rpg.com/~tsb/) is pretty good, I&#39;ve seen some great games with it, its programming language is C though so maybe not up your alley, you can make first person shooters with this one though.

Sphere (http://sphere.sourceforge.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=viewdownload&cid=1) is also good for Rpg&#39;s, but I&#39;ve seen all kinds of games made with this one.

And if you need help with whatever heres a great site where you can get lots of information, Rpg2knet (http://rpg2knet.com) I hate this site, but its got information and tutorials you won&#39;t find anywhere else. And I bet you could get that physics engine going in rpgmaker, maybe ask somebody on that site, I&#39;m sure they would know.

Marius24
03-04-2004, 10:04 PM
I am good at modeling (3D and 2D) and am willing to give my spare time to help :)

h1
03-04-2004, 10:19 PM
:lol: AMP2 is an FPS engine, but you can use a good engine for anything... we&#39;ve all seen the basketball mod for Quake III, haven&#39;t we? :P

WOX
03-04-2004, 10:40 PM
it would be interesting working in that project, although i don&#39;t know what job can i do.

SpectralHero
03-05-2004, 03:07 AM
I have photoshop SKILLZ, I mainly make rpg sprites, which was great before rpgmaker got shut down. So if you&#39;re planning on getting first star online style characters I could help out a little.

TARPD
03-05-2004, 03:38 PM
if we&#39;re gonna do this, i thinkl brainstorming is where to start ;)

SpectralHero
03-05-2004, 11:02 PM
Well I&#39;ve always liked things that are nordic or celtic, why not have a game based around midgard or fae?

Necrobrogdon
03-05-2004, 11:04 PM
hey i can help you out, sorta. But my kind of project would be a mix of odium, the sims, and a war type game........OR

A game were you control 6 or so people in a post-apocalyptic universe, trying to find out how to fight a group of people who are trying to totally destroy the world through what they call a "final Cleansing"....

Send me a message if you wish to know more.....