PDA

View Full Version : Paramount Copyright-infringement

pruttel
03-03-2004, 09:49 PM
hi, i got an email from my provider today that they received a message from paramount
that i was violating their coprights.... my provider wont give them my address except in case there will be a lawsuit .... i had tombraider on my comp and always a few episodes of enterprise , but that was all., .... is this something to be afraid of?
anyone has any experiences? i live in the netherlands , i'm not really scared just find it strange to receive such a letter. hope to get some respons.
greetz Pruttel :ph34r:

firefox
03-03-2004, 10:22 PM
What was on the email, and did you ask to get a copy of the letter.

pruttel
03-03-2004, 11:07 PM
well, the email was in dutch and just said what i stated above that they received a message from paramount that i'm distributing their products . the provider says they don't mind what i do with my account but if there was to be a lawsuit they have to give them my personal information, there was no threat just a notification.. they didn't include the original email nor did i ask for it, it seems to be genuinely from my isp.
i can try to ask for the original email but don't know if they'll reply. what the heck i'll try

pruttel
03-03-2004, 11:08 PM
oops, it also says i can get information at [email protected]
but i dont think sending them something is wise;)

h1
03-03-2004, 11:52 PM
Ask your ISP for the headers from the email they got. Full headers.

junkyardking
03-03-2004, 11:55 PM
You can use peerguardian http://www.peerguardian.net or protowall http://bluetack.co.uk/pw.html, i prefer protowall, which block known p2p enemies ip Addresses from connecting to you...

Make sure you update the address reguraly

pruttel
03-04-2004, 12:21 AM
thanks junkyardking,
i' have protowall up and running; see if it works....
greetz pruttel

downloader2008
03-04-2004, 12:26 AM
I wouldn't really trust it.... First off, the e-mail and web address sounds like a scam. If they were to accuse you of copyright infringement, they would most definiately send you a letter via mail. I remember reading a few ppl on this board saying they got messages like that, but I remember people saying it was probably fake. Don't give that site or e-mail any of your personal information, and try contacting your ISP and/or Paramount Pictures to see if they ever sent you anything like that.

pruttel
03-04-2004, 12:54 AM
hi downloader,
if you 'd been following you knew they had my ip not my mail, and since my provider doesn't give them my personal information they act through my provider , which sent me a genuine email concerning the matter in neutral words (i still hope they'll answer my reply since i only got a automated message saying they 'll respond but not if it's concerning some third-party action....). and yes i don't trust that emailadress either...
greetz pruttel

downloader2008
03-05-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by pruttel@3 March 2004 - 19:54
hi downloader,
if you 'd been following you knew they had my ip not my mail, and since my provider doesn't give them my personal information they act through my provider , which sent me a genuine email concerning the matter in neutral words (i still hope they'll answer my reply since i only got a automated message saying they 'll respond but not if it's concerning some third-party action....). and yes i don't trust that emailadress either...
greetz pruttel
But still, when it comes to legal matters like that, they usually won't e-mail you.

supernico
03-06-2004, 12:54 PM
I live in Holland as well...

Here in holland the laws are that downloading is legal and uploading is illegal.

BUt it sounds genuine. Paramount contacted your ISP that somebody was uploading movies on P2P through there IP range. And you ISP notified you by email. Here in holland it is normal that all the communication between ISP and customer goes by email. But I think you should just say that is not true that you are uploading anything and that they are mistaking. Put protowall on it and just keep doing your things!

I have like 100 Gigs continously on,, protowall running and never heard anything from anybody, sooo...

namzuf9
03-06-2004, 02:54 PM
It has been confirmed by my ISP that they do get e-mails reporting abuse from Paramount and they will forward them to the offender with the advice that you delete the offendings files but that is as far as it goes for the moment.
In fact in there forums somone recommended using K-lite with the privacy patch!

I'm in the UK and my ISP is Plusnet (really good broadband service)