PDA

View Full Version : Gotta Love That Microsoft Quality !

fred devliegher
03-03-2004, 09:55 PM
Basic problem : whenever I press "open file" - no matter what the conditions - WMP9 gives me the "sorry , program has to close" message. I can play files from the playlist just fine , no other problems , playback is a-ok.
Here's the bit that worries me - I D/L'ed the player again and installed it.

The problem's still there

Can anyone help me ?

Cygnuz-Y
03-03-2004, 10:03 PM
Windows Media Player Sucks....

For Mp3 and audio files use Winamp

For videos use VideoLan or BS player

shn
03-03-2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by fred devliegher@3 March 2004 - 15:55

Here's the bit that worries me - I D/L'ed the player again and  installed it.

The problem's still there

Clean out any old registry entries and then try reinstalling :)

fred devliegher
03-03-2004, 10:06 PM
Clean out any old registry entries

Start->Run->Regedit-> ?

What would I be looking for ?

shn
03-03-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by fred devliegher@3 March 2004 - 16:06

Clean out any old registry entries

Start->Run->Regedit-> ?

What would I be looking for ?
No dude.

Use regcleaner or some other program that cleans out the registry keys.

fred devliegher
03-03-2004, 10:18 PM
Looked up some old posts on regcleaner , and this came up :

everytime i tweak my reg, the system bombs out.

Not that I'm scared or anything (:fear: ) , I just don't feel like messing with stuff I know jack about. Any idiot-proof way of fixing the problem? If not , is regcleaner noob-safe ?

shn
03-03-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by fred devliegher@3 March 2004 - 16:18
Looked up some old posts on regcleaner , and this came up :

everytime i tweak my reg, the system bombs out.

Not that I'm scared or anything (:fear: ) , I just don't feel like messing with stuff I know jack about. Any idiot-proof way of fixing the problem? If not , is regcleaner noob-safe ?
Then use some other registry cleaner. Tweak xp has one.

You will get an opportunity to make a backup of the registry first before cleaning it out.

I have installed programs that screwed up and reinstalled them again and again and they still screw up. But after cleaning out the registry the programs worked fine.

Having a tool that cleans out the registry is a good thing to have anyway since a cluttered registry can actually slow your box down :)

peat moss
03-04-2004, 01:49 AM
Regcleaner the free one is amost idiot proof. Its amazing the first time you run it.Clean up uninstaller, s .Programs you thought you deleted . Has a back up feature but never had to use it . B)

http://www.worldstart.com/weekly-download/...-cleaner4.3.htm (http://www.worldstart.com/weekly-download/archives/reg-cleaner4.3.htm)

Had a hard time finding this i GUESS Jouni sold out ! Not that I blame him! :lol:

Fred just leave the DLL 's alone you'll be fine.

aagfr
03-04-2004, 05:59 AM
I had the same problem with wmp9. Problem was fixed by uninstalling k-lite codec pack (in my case 2.24 full) and then reinstalling it (without compression).