PDA

View Full Version : Psu

kaiweiler
03-05-2004, 03:02 AM
Hey, I'm wonderin, is it really benefitial to have a 500W or more PSU? Would I really use that much power?? My specs are in my sig
I've been looking at PSU's lately, because a wire in mine has a short in it and I wanna keep everything running smooth, also the one I have does not have a sufficient amount of Peripheral Power plugs/ports, mine only has 4 I believe, and all are used up cuz I had 2 HDDs and a cd-rw and a dvd rom, also in between these are fan connectors, led's etc, so more would be nice.
I am not looking to spend a ton on a PSU, but any recomendations would be nice, I am in Canada as well.
Some I've though of are:
1 (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=599599&Sku=U10-9500%20C&CatId=1079)
2 (http://www.greenlyph.com/product_info.php?cPath=169&products_id=202)
Any others? and any info I need to know about PSU's?

Thanks

delphin460
03-05-2004, 03:08 AM
you are only going to need that sort of psu if you gunna be running the ned 64 cpu, with dual ch ram and a shit load of hardware hooked on to it , 400w range will do you fine, you are best to get a realy good quality 400w psu , that spend lots on an average 500w+ psu

clocker
03-05-2004, 03:08 AM
Look here K. (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=232592)

tesco
03-05-2004, 03:11 AM
i have an enermax power supply. its great, pretty much silent! and it has like 10 molex connectors so ill never run out. its running everything in my computer fine, which has 4 fans connected to it directly and its only 450watts.

bigdawgfoxx
03-05-2004, 03:13 AM
I have a 500watt Ultra one, The one you looked at, and it works really great for me! 2 Blue LED fans in it, and I have never had any problems with it at all...I love it.

kaiweiler
03-05-2004, 03:14 AM
Thanks for the info and advice all of you,
How is this (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=599471&Tab=0&NoMapp=0) PSU? It is 400watt, w/ 8 connectors
Looks quite good to me for the price, also has a 120mm fan and an 80mm fan as well so it wouldn't heat up to bad
What you guys think?

tesco
03-05-2004, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by kaiweiler@4 March 2004 - 22:14
Thanks for the info and advice all of you,
How is this (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=599471&Tab=0&NoMapp=0) PSU? It is 400watt, w/ 8 connectors
Looks quite good to me for the price, also has a 120mm fan and an 80mm fan as well so it wouldn't heat up to bad
What you guys think?
it only has a 120mm fan in it, the picture is shwing you a comparison of the sizes so you can see the difference between 80mm and 120mm.

but that power supply looks pretty cool, its the onyl one ive ever seen designed like that where there is only one fan and it is on the bottom instead of the back.

kaiweiler
03-05-2004, 03:22 AM
Yeah it looks good to me!

http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/mypsu.jpg

This is the one I have now that has the short in it, it came with my enermax case that i've only had less then a month, think I should email enermax and see if i can get a new one for free, or try to get one like the one I just listed in my last post?
This one is only 330 watts if I'm not mistaken

bigdawgfoxx
03-05-2004, 03:23 AM
Its got a 120mm and an 80mm. Some people might say that Ultra isnt the best powersupply or w/e..and you should spend more for antec or something...but my ultra is great.

kaiweiler
03-05-2004, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@4 March 2004 - 23:23
Its got a 120mm and an 80mm.  Some people might say that Ultra isnt the best powersupply or w/e..and you should spend more for antec or something...but my ultra is great.
Yeah i figured it did, since this is the pic they provide with it, showing 2 fans ;)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/images/itemdetails/ultramesm/power_test.jpg
I can see where rossco may have made the mistake though, oh well it's nothin big
it's nice that it has both fans though!

EDIT actually I don't believe that is the same PSU, but I am still quite sure that the one I am looking at still has both fans
and read my last post if you may have missed it...

tesco
03-05-2004, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@4 March 2004 - 22:23
Its got a 120mm and an 80mm. Some people might say that Ultra isnt the best powersupply or w/e..and you should spend more for antec or something...but my ultra is great.
this one (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=599471&Tab=0&NoMapp=0) only has a 120mm fan on it...the picture that shows the 80mm fan and a 120mmm fan are just comparing what it would look like if it was an 80mm fan so that you see teh difference in size and think its so much better. not that it isnt better.

edit: keiken that black one is a standard picture that they put in the desriptions for all ultra power supplies...its clearly a different power supply from the one at the top of the page...

edit again: i accidently put jeiken instead of keiken lol.

kaiweiler
03-05-2004, 03:30 AM
I see, my mistake...
ANYWAY, so you guys think this PSU is worth buying? or try to get a new one from enermax since mine has a short

lynx
03-05-2004, 09:49 AM
Try to get a replacement first, otherwise I'd go for the 400W Ultra.

Question is, should you go for the one you linked (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=599471&Tab=0&NoMapp=0), or this one (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=599471&sku=U10-9400%20BL2) which as $12 cheaper. :unsure:

Edit: my mistake, the second one is USD.

johnboy27
03-05-2004, 01:05 PM
Here is one from www.ncix.com
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=9028&vpn=W0009R

It has plenty of molex connectors for all your fans (13 in total)

And go for the replacement also and then sell it and get some of the cash you spent on the new one back.

kaiweiler
03-05-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by johnboy27@5 March 2004 - 09:05
Here is one from www.ncix.com
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=9028&vpn=W0009R

It has plenty of molex connectors for all your fans (13 in total)

And go for the replacement also and then sell it and get some of the cash you spent on the new one back.
That is a very good idea, with getting a new one from enermax and then selling it and getting a better one.
I think i like the ultra one better, just as it is 20 bucks cheaper and there would be no way of me ever using 13 molex connectors. 8 would serve me plenty, all my stuff is connected now, and I only have 4....
anyone know how enermax is with stuf like that? think they would send me a new one? or just tell me to screw off, i think they should send me a new one, since i've had this one less then a month and it has a short already
I'll give em an email, [email protected] this is their addy I think, it's one I found on their site, so I'll see how things go

lynx
03-05-2004, 10:24 PM
If it is faulty they should replace it, but you may have to send it back where you got it rather than directly back to Enermax. How is it "shorted"? Or is it simply that you've overloaded it? If so, they can usually tell and may refuse to replace it.

IMO the Enermax psu's are better than the Ultra ones, but obviously you suspect you need one with more power. If that's the case then you should definitely upgrade your psu. But if your voltages are ok (if and when you get your replacement psu) then I would stick with the Enermax.

tesco
03-05-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by lynx@5 March 2004 - 17:24
If it is faulty they should replace it, but you may have to send it back where you got it rather than directly back to Enermax. How is it "shorted"? Or is it simply that you've overloaded it? If so, they can usually tell and may refuse to replace it.

IMO the Enermax psu's are better than the Ultra ones, but obviously you suspect you need one with more power. If that's the case then you should definitely upgrade your psu. But if your voltages are ok (if and when you get your replacement psu) then I would stick with the Enermax.
at one of his molex connector the wires have to be bent a certain way for it to be giving the power so his hard drive is in constant jepordy of being shut off. I recomended he just fix it himself as it isnt too hard but he is too lazy.

kaiweiler
03-05-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by lynx@5 March 2004 - 18:24

It is shorted in the way that one molex connector only works when positioned a certain way, if bumped or moved slightly it will cut power
I do not think I absolutley need more power, but more would be nice, and more molex connectors would be more convenient for me as well.

kaiweiler
03-05-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@5 March 2004 - 18:38
at one of his molex connector the wires have to be bent a certain way for it to be giving the power so his hard drive is in constant jepordy of being shut off. I recomended he just fix it himself as it isnt too hard but he is too lazy.
I would not mind fixing it myself, if the PSU was more then a month old&#33; <_<
I do not want a new PSU to have faults, I need power I can rely on
I would have no problem fixing it myself on an older PSU, it just bugs me that a new one has a short

tesco
03-05-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by kaiweiler+5 March 2004 - 17:40--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kaiweiler @ 5 March 2004 - 17:40)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@5 March 2004 - 18:38
I would not mind fixing it myself, if the PSU was more then a month old&#33; <_<
I do not want a new PSU to have faults, I need power I can rely on
I would have no problem fixing it myself on an older PSU, it just bugs me that a new one has a short [/b][/quote]
hmm well if they wont return it for some reason and you still want to use it you could find an old power supply, maybe one that doesnt work at all, and snip off the wires with the 2 molexes at teh end and cut off the one molex that doesnt work on your current power supply and attach the two molexs from the older power supply.

you will be fixing the short problem and also gaining 1 extra molex which you can use for your fans or something...

i modded my power supply just a few weeks after i got it because i was stealthing my wires in the case and one molex wouldnt reach my hard drive which is on teh case floor so I cut half way through teh wire and added four new long wires in to make it a lot longer and now it reaches and it hasnt affected my voltages at all.

kaiweiler
03-05-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@5 March 2004 - 18:52
hmm well if they wont return it for some reason and you still want to use it you could find an old power supply, maybe one that doesnt work at all, and snip off the wires with the 2 molexes at teh end and cut off the one molex that doesnt work on your current power supply and attach the two molexs from the older power supply.

you will be fixing the short problem and also gaining 1 extra molex which you can use for your fans or something...

i modded my power supply just a few weeks after i got it because i was stealthing my wires in the case and one molex wouldnt reach my hard drive which is on teh case floor so I cut half way through teh wire and added four new long wires in to make it a lot longer and now it reaches and it hasnt affected my voltages at all.
Yes, that is what I&#39;ll have to do I guess, Thanks
They should return it though, but would it be Enmermax that would return it, or the store I bought it from?? I gave Enermax an email, but havn&#39;t heard back yet