PDA

View Full Version : Windows 98

Immortal Genocide
03-06-2004, 02:23 PM
Ok guys, i have windows xp at the moment and it sux ass big time!
To many bugs, freezes wen i play games, and quite frankly, its just sh*t!
So im wondering if anyone here has the site where i can download windows 98?
It doesnt have it on suprnova, so im wondering if anyone here knows.
Thx... ;)

Project E-01
03-06-2004, 02:46 PM
If you want something that wont crash, go for 2k instead. :P

So far, the only way ive managed to get 2k to crash on me is using my midi seq (Evolution Audio Lite). Doesn't pass parameters across to my synth (VSC3.2), which can cause a crash, but what do you expect from software dated 1997? Heck... it only reports me as having 23MB free ram - i have 850MB free...

Where was i?

Oh, right. Dont get 98, get 2k instead. More secure, Less viruses that target it directly, and, er, its still bieng supported/updated, unlike 98. :P

delphin460
03-06-2004, 02:46 PM
hmm, now you are the first person i have ever seen bitchin about xp

do you think it maybe a problem in your setup and not xp perhaps

xp is 700 percent better than 98 in everyway

you might find you go a bodgie version of xp, or that you have conflict in hardware, or bad drivers that need updating to xp

what sort of games are you playing that crash

give us some clues and we might be able to help

kaiweiler
03-06-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Immortal Genocide@6 March 2004 - 10:23
It doesnt have it on suprnova, so im wondering if anyone here knows.
Thx... ;)
Try mIRC, there is wndows 98 Second Edition as well, just search HERE (http://www.ircspy.com/)

Immortal Genocide
03-06-2004, 03:29 PM
anygame i play crashes on xp, even when im on the net it freezes and i have to reboot.
I usually play mmorpgs or racing games...
Soo, where can i get 2k?

gildan2020
03-06-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Immortal Genocide@6 March 2004 - 23:29
anygame i play crashes on xp, even when im on the net it freezes and i have to reboot.
I usually play mmorpgs or racing games...
Soo, where can i get 2k?
hmm...i have this sinking feeling that it might be ur hardware...have u tried updating all ur hardwares' drivers?

if winxp can freeze on all occasions, i dun think it's reli the OS itself anymore. mebe trying another OS, like win2000 might actually solve this

otherwise, just switch back to win98 B)

Immortal Genocide
03-06-2004, 04:19 PM
lol, except for mirc, where else can i get 98 or 2k?

peat moss
03-06-2004, 05:27 PM
Have you tryed compatibility wizard in xp for games?
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/eva...at/software.asp (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/overviews/compat/software.asp)

Chewie
03-06-2004, 06:06 PM
The only time I've seen XP crash has been because of hardware problems.
I have an Afreey DVDROM drive that just ain't XP compatible, and I had a bad stick o' RAM. Another machine I saw locking up on was due to a mobo with an inherent problem.

For me, the real beauty of XP is it's stability. I can leave my machine on all week and it runs like it was just booted - something you just can't do with 9x/Me.

j4y3m
03-06-2004, 06:14 PM
XP never crashes for me...

4th gen
03-06-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Chewie UK@6 March 2004 - 17:06
The only time I've seen XP crash has been because of hardware problems.
I have an Afreey DVDROM drive that just ain't XP compatible, and I had a bad stick o' RAM. Another machine I saw locking up on was due to a mobo with an inherent problem.

For me, the real beauty of XP is it's stability. I can leave my machine on all week and it runs like it was just booted - something you just can't do with 9x/Me.
Yep, mine's been up for nearly 7 days currently, no stability problems. The problem for the original posters seems to be a hardware problem, not an XP problem.

Money Fist
03-06-2004, 06:17 PM
as long as there are 1000s of different
hardware vendors
our PCs will always fuk up

tesco
03-06-2004, 09:13 PM
what are your computers specs? if you have a processor less than 400mhz go back to 2k or 98, if u have less than 256mb ram go back to 2k or 98.

if you have greater than those two specs then it is just an installation problem with drivers or just a bad installation in general.

did you do an upgrade from a different operating system or did you format and install windows xp? if u upgraded i recomend you format and install windows xp from scratch that way you wont have any problems and will have the best xp experience possible. if it was a fresh install it could be that some drivers are out of date\not installed. download the latest drivers you can find on either your pc manufacturers website or your motherboard manufacturer website. also download latest video drive for your video card and latest chipset driver for whatever chipset is on your motherboard.(chipset isnt your processor).

Now go into device manager (right click my computer>manage>device manager on left side) and check to see if any devices have a ? or ! next to there names. If any do then you will need to find a driver for that device.

if you still have prbolems or have done all of this then just download windows 2k, i got it from kazaalite.

h1
03-06-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Chewie UK@6 March 2004 - 13:06
See, Microsoft's got you thinking the way it wants you to. Staying on for a week without problems shouldn't be an achievement, it should be the mimimum bar. Many Linux / HP-UX / Solaris / other Unix derivatives have remained online for years without any problems, even after installing software.

And yes, for stability / power, use 2000 Professional... it was the last version of Windows I used and it was OK.

Chewie
03-06-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by haxor41789+6 March 2004 - 21:54--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (haxor41789 @ 6 March 2004 - 21:54)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Chewie UK@6 March 2004 - 13:06
For me, the real beauty of XP is it&#39;s stability. I can leave my machine on all week and it runs like it was just booted - something you just can&#39;t do with 9x/Me.
See, Microsoft&#39;s got you thinking the way it wants you to. Staying on for a week without problems shouldn&#39;t be an achievement, it should be the mimimum bar. Many Linux / HP-UX / Solaris / other Unix derivatives have remained online for years without any problems, even after installing software.

And yes, for stability / power, use 2000 Professional... it was the last version of Windows I used and it was OK. [/b][/quote]
I don&#39;t get what your point is, here. Are you saying I shouldn&#39;t praise XP because previous home-user targeted OSes were not as good?
I used 2K for a short while but had trouble getting the kids&#39; games to run on it, so went back to Me. Less reliable than 2K, sure, but Me was the best of the available options for me at that time.

peat moss
03-06-2004, 10:55 PM
Xp is great I&#39;v ran 24/7 for the last year no problems at all. I install and delete programs daily .

Nightwolf
03-06-2004, 11:50 PM
If you&#39;re having problems with XP crashing, you&#39;re not going to like 98 any better. What you need to do is figure out what&#39;s causing these crashes and fix it. For starters upgrade all your hardware drivers. You might also want to try some tweak and repair programs, like Norton Utilities and Tweak-XP Pro. You should also disable all the unecessary services that load at startup. Here are some good info sites...

http://www.blackviper.com

http://www.theeldergeek.com

http://www.answersthatwork.com

http://www.annoyances.org

peat moss
03-07-2004, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Nightwolf@6 March 2004 - 15:50
If you&#39;re having problems with XP crashing, you&#39;re not going to like 98 any better. What you need to do is figure out what&#39;s causing these crashes and fix it. For starters upgrade all your hardware drivers. You might also want to try some tweak and repair programs, like Norton Utilities and Tweak-XP Pro. You should also disable all the unecessary services that load at startup. Here are some good info sites...

http://www.blackviper.com

http://www.theeldergeek.com

http://www.answersthatwork.com

http://www.annoyances.org
Nice post Night wolf B)

firefox
03-08-2004, 09:47 PM
check your ram, if it is faulty it will make everything lock up

uNz[i]
03-09-2004, 05:17 AM
I&#39;ll chime in here and agree with the guys who suspect the hardware. ]
I had that exact same problem a couple years ago... comp freezing every time I surfed the net or played a game.

I went nuts for 6 months... tried updating all the software and drivers, the OS from 98SE to XP, swapped out all the cards and RAM... Damn thing still froze solid every time I tried to use it.

Turned out that one of the capacitors on the motherboard had blown.
The only visible sign was the top of the dud capacitor bulged upward, when normally they are flat.

Luckily I was about to upgrade anyway... so it gave me an excuse to get started. :lol:
Since then, this box ain&#39;t missed a beat. :D

shn
03-09-2004, 10:01 AM
@Immortal Genocide -- try windows 2000 pro it&#39;s pretty stable for the most part. The last copy I had was downloaded from bittorent and it worked fine.

@people saying you been running xp for days and months without reboot --stop lying. It is simply not possible with xp and you know you have never done that. :)

@haxor -- an achievement? It is more like wishful thinking for xp :lol:

@Windows ME -- No comment :ghostface:

Evil Gemini
03-09-2004, 02:36 PM
@people saying you been running xp for days and months without reboot --stop lying. It is simply not possible with xp and you know you have never done that.&nbsp; :)

Why would they be lying ??

What are they going to achieve in lying ??

I bet i could run my computer for a few months and using it as normal including playing games, ripping DVD&#39;s etc

From now, my PC is not going to be turned of :)

Chewie
03-09-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by shn@9 March 2004 - 10:01
@people saying you been running xp for days and months without reboot --stop lying. It is simply not possible with xp and you know you have never done that. :)
I trust that smiley indicates you&#39;re talking shit in jest?

shn
03-09-2004, 08:11 PM
Show me some uptime stats of "your" xp and then we can talk.

Just dont let the badly fragmented hard disk hit you in the ass on your way out. :P

Izagaia
03-09-2004, 09:32 PM
Why on earth, would anyone want to constantly leave their systems on? It takes only a few minutes to reboot or restart maybe another two for XP to load?Not big deal really. And it saves on the wear and tear of your motherboard, I am assuming, with not having to worry about it becoming too hot through constant everyday abuse.

That and quite a few broadband users experience some problems with becoming out-of-sync with their ISP&#39;s servers every now and then. So cutting the power from your modem once in awhile might be wise anyway.

Me? I make it a habit to restart a couple of times a week and perhaps leave the system off sunday nights.

shn
03-09-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Izagaia@9 March 2004 - 15:32
Why on earth, would anyone want to constantly leave their systems on? It takes only a few minutes to reboot or restart maybe another two for XP to load?Not big deal really. And it saves on the wear and tear of your motherboard, I am assuming, with not having to worry about it becoming too hot through constant everyday abuse.

That and quite a few broadband users experience some problems with becoming out-of-sync with their ISP&#39;s servers every now and then. So cutting the power from your modem once in awhile might be wise anyway.

Me? I make it a habit to restart a couple of times a week and perhaps leave the system off sunday nights.
I am a broadband user and I have never become out of sync or whatever you call it.

I could turn every pc off here but the lan will still be up and running.

And for me, I just feel that uptime is an aquired taste.

How many xp boxes do you see on Netcraft (http://news.netcraft.com/)

Windows 98 can stay up longer than xp.

Bottom line for people saying they have done it?

Quit trying to be like Linux or any other POSIX compliant system. :)

Izagaia
03-09-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by shn@9 March 2004 - 16:49
I am a broadband user and I have never become out of sync or whatever you call it.

And for me, I just feel that uptime is an aquired taste.&nbsp;

Well- maybe I am exaggerating abit in saying "most". I shouldn&#39;t have been so arrogant in thinking that so. :ooops:

But there are some DSL modems (I do not know about cable modems) that fall out of sync with their ISP&#39;s servers. Or maybe it&#39;s just mine (Slipstream 5100) yet I am told that they require you to power it off then back on to fall back in. My broadband runs through the same connection and line as my phone. No seperate lines. In a nutshell, my connection (PPPoe) appears and shares alot of the same traits as a 56k dial-up connection (super-sized of course).

However this is what I am referring to. Maybe you would know about this little quirk more than I or why it would need to be done. I suppose that I just assumed that many broadband users did the same thing. Maybe not. :unsure:

http://help.sbcglobal.net/article.php?item=2

shn
03-09-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Izagaia+9 March 2004 - 17:00--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Izagaia &#064; 9 March 2004 - 17:00)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-shn@9 March 2004 - 16:49

And for me, I just feel that uptime is an aquired taste.&nbsp;

Well- maybe I am exaggerating abit in saying "most". I shouldn&#39;t have been so arrogant in thinking that so. :ooops:

But there are some DSL modems (I do not know about cable modems) that fall out of sync with their ISP&#39;s servers. Or maybe it&#39;s just mine (Slipstream 5100) yet I am told that they require you to power it off then back on to fall back in. My broadband runs through the same connection and line as my phone. No seperate lines. In a nutshell, my connection (PPPoe) appears and shares alot of the same traits as a 56k dial-up connection (super-sized of course).

However this is what I am referring to. Maybe you would know about this little quirk more than I or why it would need to be done. I suppose that I just assumed that many broadband users did the same thing. Maybe not. :unsure:

http://help.sbcglobal.net/article.php?item=2[/b][/quote]
Your forgetting that not everyone uses the equipment that sbc gives their customers. The first one I got from them was not even a "modem".

It was a router/cable/dsl/wireless access point/modem all integrated in one. :)

I now use a cisco router that I got from cisco netcad academy when I was enrolled in my ccna classes. Although the first one I got from sbc worked fine because I had already had experience with the equipment they give out since I previoulsy had it with Roadrunner.

Also, I am on a dedicated line. This is a business account, and if you have sbc you can get the same all you have to do is tell them you need one, but it will cost you more. :)

Izagaia
03-10-2004, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by shn@9 March 2004 - 18:40
Your forgetting that not everyone uses the equipment that sbc gives their customers. The first one I got from them was not even a "modem".

I now use a cisco router that I got from cisco netcad academy when I was enrolled in my ccna classes. Although the first one I got from sbc worked fine because I had already had experience with the equipment they give out since I previoulsy had it with Roadrunner.

Also, I am on a dedicated line. This is a business account, and if you have sbc you can get the same all you have to do is tell them you need one, but it will cost you more. :)
Not only did I forget that not everyone actually uses the equipment that their providers dish-out to them, but I also had forgotten (briefly) why it is that you, madam, are the "digital goddess" and there are some of us lower, joe-sausage heads, who shouldn&#39;t even try to throw "techie kinda things" your way without having the insight of totally knowing what it is he/she (or myself) is talking about.

Because admittingly, the rest of what you are saying, I have to humbly state with regret, that I have not, non-ya, nodda, no freak&#39;n clue- no way no how of what access points or cisco routers or netcad ccna classes are. :stupid:

But I do know what "Roadrunner" is. :jester:

Izzy got served. So if anyone won&#39;t be needing anymore comedy relief, I am going to go crawl back under my rock. :D ;) :clown:

LSA
03-10-2004, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by Izagaia@9 March 2004 - 19:51
Because admittingly, the rest of what you are saying, I have to humbly state with regret, that I have not, non-ya, nodda, no freak&#39;n clue- no way no how of what access points or cisco routers or netcad ccna classes are.&nbsp; :stupid:
An access point it a router/hub like device that sends (don&#39;t know if that is the best word for it :lol:) into the air so wireless cards can pick them up and send info to other wireless cards.

A cisco router is a router made by cisco (http://www.cisco.com)

netcad classes is a class about networking, I am going to take it next year at my school :w00t:

ccna stands for Cisco Certified Network Associate, it is an IT certification offered by Cisco

Hope that helps you

shn
03-10-2004, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by Izagaia+9 March 2004 - 19:51--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Izagaia @ 9 March 2004 - 19:51)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-shn@9 March 2004 - 18:40
Your forgetting that not everyone uses the equipment that sbc gives their customers.&nbsp; The first one I got from them was not even a "modem".

I now use a cisco router that I got from cisco netcad academy when I was enrolled in my ccna classes.&nbsp; Although the first one I got from sbc worked fine because I had already had experience with the equipment they give out since I previoulsy had it with Roadrunner.

Also, I am on a dedicated line.&nbsp; This is a business account, and if you have sbc you can get the same all you have to do is tell them you need one, but it will cost you more.&nbsp; :)
Not only did I forget that not everyone actually uses the equipment that their providers dish-out to them, but I also had forgotten (briefly) why it is that you, madam, are the "digital goddess" and there are some of us lower, joe-sausage heads, who shouldn&#39;t even try to throw "techie kinda things" your way without having the insight of totally knowing what it is he/she (or myself) is talking about.

Because admittingly, the rest of what you are saying, I have to humbly state with regret, that I have not, non-ya, nodda, no freak&#39;n clue- no way no how of what access points or cisco routers or netcad ccna classes are. :stupid:

But I do know what "Roadrunner" is. :jester:

Izzy got served. So if anyone won&#39;t be needing anymore comedy relief, I am going to go crawl back under my rock. :D ;) :clown: [/b][/quote]
Dont be silly, you know I&#39;ve always fancied you. :smilie4:

Nightwolf
03-10-2004, 03:25 AM
I only reboot XP if I want to play a game with high requirements, and I defrag once or twice a month. So what&#39;s the big deal?

BTW, how many games could I play under Linux? How about the Desktop Publishing my wife does on our PC? Is Linux good for that?

shn
03-10-2004, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by Nightwolf@9 March 2004 - 21:25
I only reboot XP if I want to play a game with high requirements, and I defrag once or twice a month.&nbsp; So what&#39;s the big deal?

BTW, how many games could I play under Linux?&nbsp; How about the Desktop Publishing my wife does on our PC?&nbsp; Is Linux good for that?
Sorry for hijacking this thread :lol:

It is so off topic I forget what it was originally about. :(

Anyway, if you have Linux questions then go to Linux section bud :)

Izagaia
03-10-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by LSA@9 March 2004 - 21:10
An access point it a router/hub like device that sends (don&#39;t know if that is the best word for it :lol:) into the air so wireless cards can pick them up and send info to other wireless cards.

A cisco router is a router made by cisco (http://www.cisco.com)

netcad classes is a class about networking, I am going to take it next year at my school :w00t:

ccna stands for Cisco Certified Network Associate, it is an IT certification offered by Cisco

Hope that helps you
I see now. ;)

You know,.. once I had tried a home course for the A+ certification. One of the first things I had noticed about the IT sector, in general, is that there is an acronym for damn near everything.

Thank-you for the insight. :)

Izagaia
03-10-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by shn@9 March 2004 - 21:22
Dont be silly, you know I&#39;ve always fancied you. :smilie4:
:D :"> :D