PDA

View Full Version : Playing Clips

browser
03-06-2004, 07:29 PM
You know that on some sites if u click a link it will play the video in Internet Explorer..., how do u put that on a web-site, is it just a code or what?

Also, is there another way to play media files on internet without d/l them? Might b stupid question but oh well...

4th gen
03-06-2004, 07:36 PM
All you do is to put the video link up on a page, like this:

http://www.arap78.dsl.pipex.com/hayabusa.wmv

Then when someone clicks on it, they should have the option of viewing the video in their browser, playing it with a media player or downloading it.

You can't watch a video unless you download it. You can stream it (which means you download and watch at the same time), but you still end up downloading it

browser
03-06-2004, 07:41 PM
mine is in a .mpg file and when u click on it, it just starts d/l.

4th gen
03-06-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by browser@6 March 2004 - 18:41
mine is in a .mpg file and when u click on it, it just starts d/l.
What browser are you using?
Are you just single left clicking on the link?

browser
03-06-2004, 07:48 PM
Internet Explorer. Simple left click.... Should it be right click?

browser
03-08-2004, 05:52 PM
another thing related to this... is it possible to run an "on-line TV station". Sort of a site that plays clips continuously.

shn
03-09-2004, 10:38 AM
I believe microsoft frontpage can embed video in a web page where windows media player shows up in the actual web page to play the content.

Whatever you do make sure you let users know at the bottom of the page or something what browser is needed to view your site. Clicking on a wmv link in firefox or mozilla can freeze up the browser and display a bunch of junk characters if the mime types are not set accordingly in the user's browser.

browser
03-09-2004, 06:03 PM
is there any html code for it?

h1
03-09-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by shn@9 March 2004 - 05:38
Clicking on a wmv link in firefox or mozilla can freeze up the browser and display a bunch of junk characters if the mime types are not set accordingly in the user's browser.
Actually, it would be the server. :)

shn
03-09-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by haxor41789+9 March 2004 - 13:55--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (haxor41789 &#064; 9 March 2004 - 13:55)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-shn@9 March 2004 - 05:38
Clicking on a wmv link in firefox or mozilla&nbsp; can freeze up the browser and display a bunch of junk characters if the mime types are not set accordingly in the user&#39;s browser.
Actually, it would be the server. :)[/b][/quote]
You seem to know a bit about this.

Would you mind telling me why mine does that? :)

And what are all thoose bogus characters? I seem to notice it only happens if the file type is not specified in my browser settings, other than that it handles other file types fine.

browser
03-09-2004, 09:41 PM
could you tell me if the instructions here (http://ar.utmb.edu/areas/classes/htgwebembedcontrolschild.asp) would work. Also when it says "Upload it to a publicly accessible Web server" what exactly does it mean? Does it include ftp servers?

h1
03-09-2004, 09:55 PM
Those garbage characters would be the WMV file encoded in ASCII, not binary as it should be. If the server&#39;s MIME settings are incorrect, it&#39;ll make transfer the file in the wrong mode. :)

h1
03-09-2004, 10:00 PM
"Uploading to a publicly accessible web server" means to put it on an HTTP site that is public. FTP might work, depending on client.

ActiveX is bad for you. :lol:

shn
03-09-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by haxor41789@9 March 2004 - 15:55
Those garbage characters would be the WMV file encoded in ASCII, not binary as it should be. If the server&#39;s MIME settings are incorrect, it&#39;ll make transfer the file in the wrong mode. :)
So what if my mime settings are not set at all to handle that file type?

browser
03-09-2004, 10:04 PM
what&#39;s bad about activeX?

h1
03-09-2004, 10:14 PM
@shn:
I&#39;m assuming you&#39;re using Firefox or Konqueror, both will interpret an unknown filetype as application/octet-stream.

@browser:
What&#39;s good about ActiveX?

browser
03-09-2004, 10:24 PM
I dunno, i&#39;m new at this... that&#39;s y i&#39;m asking you. :D

Basically, what i want to do is;

I have a series of a TV programme on my computer. (e.g Friends as well as other stuff).
This amounts to a 17GB folder. If I want to let a friend watch it, instead of him needing to d/l 17GB, i want to have a site which can play (stream i think it&#39;s called) these without him needing to d/l the actual files.

Any ideas?

ck-uk
03-09-2004, 10:32 PM
it works fine mate use it if you want to,just copy the code in a text doc on your harddrive name it to html and test it :)

http://www.davesite.com/webstation/html/chap13.shtml

http://www.yourhtmlsource.com/images/multimedia.html

4th gen
03-09-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by browser@9 March 2004 - 21:24
I dunno, i&#39;m new at this... that&#39;s y i&#39;m asking you. :D

I have a series of a TV programme on my computer. (e.g Friends as well as other stuff).
This amounts to a 17GB folder. If I want to let a friend watch it, instead of him needing to d/l 17GB, i want to have a site which can play (stream i think it&#39;s called) these without him needing to d/l the actual files.

Any ideas?
If he&#39;s streaming the video, he&#39;s also downloading it. Unless you reduce the quality, he&#39;ll have to download just as much if he strams it as if he downloads it straight from you and then watches.

shn
03-12-2004, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by browser@9 March 2004 - 16:24
I dunno, i&#39;m new at this... that&#39;s y i&#39;m asking you.&nbsp; :D

Any ideas?
This what most of the websites use that stream media Helix Powered Server (http://www.realnetworks.com/products/server/)

There is a free community version of helix server at that site as well but it limits you to 10 concurrent connections and 1 meg bandwitdth. It&#39;s called Helix Universal Server --Basic. Once you get all the ports set up it&#39;s real easy to use on a small site, plus it has a web based admin console for you to add any content. :)

Or you can get a copy of Windows 2003 or 2000 server and use the Windows Media Server that comes with that, although I personally think it sucks.

If you were just streaming audio then it would be a lot easier.

@4th gen -- you are partially correct, but streaming media can be very convenient depending on the server you stream the content with. Most of the times you can seek forward and back through the feed without even downloading the full media :)