J'Pol
03-07-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by healimonster@8 March 2003 - 00:34
Whats a good cheap DVD burner.

Is there such a thing?
Hardware question surely

Jibbler
03-08-2003, 01:59 AM
I bought the Pioneer A05 for $261 plus tax. Very cheap in my opinion. Its a 4x burner, and I can do a full disc in about 25 minutes. DVDR disks are much more expensive than CDR disks, about $1 a piece, compared to CDR discs which are about $0.15 a piece.--

Jibbler

ShareDaddy
03-08-2003, 06:59 AM
I have 2 separate friends with DVD burners, one bought a cheap burner (cendyne or something like that) for 180$ us and the other bought a 345$ Sony and both of them so far are doing the exact same things with them. So as it stands I would say cheap is ok, however you need to understand that most of the globe recently signed off on the +R format, so -R will be most likely phased out or become very rare and thus begin to increase in price, until eventually knocking itself out of the market. If you do buy one I would say get one that does both mediums, as -R's are considerably cheaper at the moment and +R may be the only format int he future this would give you your best shot at staying compatible with emerging technoligies.

Jibbler
03-08-2003, 06:29 PM
You have it backwards. +R was developed by Sony, and is less popular than -R which is currently the standard. Some burners offer the ability to write in both formats, but they are way to pricey right now. There is currently no standard for DVD recordables, however DVD-R is compatible with about 88% of standalone players, and DVD+R is compatible with about 84% of standalone players.--

Jibbler