PDA

View Full Version : Getting New Computer

ooo
03-08-2003, 12:22 AM
Soon... im going to purchase a new computer... is there any suggestions on what computer i should get... any websites to help me out? i was thinking of getting dell computers

www.dell.com

they got nice ones for cheap pricing.... but then TCPA! -- its making me change my mind alittle... sigh*

neevakee
03-08-2003, 12:44 AM
buy one off of ebay if you dont build one. You get more for your money and you can help the little guy by buying on by someone who built it him or herself,

The Great Dude
03-08-2003, 12:52 AM
I would rather build a computer than get those, but your choice. :P

ooo
03-08-2003, 12:54 AM
lol no skilled at building one...
onli 14!!!!
lol.. dunno all da parts... sooo... not going to try...

still want a notebook parents wont get me one...

say: too much errors, no use... already have a computer... we will get you a new one when your brother goes off to college in the summer lol

Krisman
03-08-2003, 03:08 AM
I'd suggest an Alienware (http://www.alienware.com/main/main.asp)? PC. They make really great systems. If you can't afford them I don't no what to tell you.

downloader2008
03-08-2003, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by Soul814@7 March 2003 - 19:22

they got nice ones for cheap pricing.... but then TCPA! -- its making me change my mind alittle... sigh*
TCPA?

zapjb
03-08-2003, 06:43 AM
What's your current computer specs? What's your $ limit? Can you gut your current puter of its HDD, cdrw, etc. to save money? What do you want your new puter to do? Do you have to have an Intel or is AMD OK? Just a couple questions (+ more) I'd ask myself.

njs12345
03-08-2003, 08:08 AM
I would still build it yourself even if you have no experience. Basically, just ask the people here about whatever questions you might have, or read a FAQ on the subject. For two exactly the same PCs, the price might even double if you bought it from a major manufacturer.

If you live in US: newegg (http://www.newegg.com)

UK:eBuyer (http://www.ebuyer.com)

ooo
03-08-2003, 09:44 PM
alien ware is nice... i've seen it before... but since i want a labtop / notebook its going to be expensive... i dunno how much my mother is willing to spend for a new computer... i can prob get the cheapest desktop of alien ware.... but i still like notebooks better since theres already 3 desktops at my house.... mine is penti 1... bought it when it was Windows 3.11 changed the hard drive once because virus killed it... :/ ... had my com for like 5 years already.... now i want a new one... and my mom is thinking about getting me a new one when my brother moves out for college...

Schmiggy_JK23
03-09-2003, 07:46 AM
You cant go wrong with alienware. Bad ass machines. I build my own computers, that way, I get exactly what I want in it, down to the last piece of rounded cable.

And if u buy ur parts online, u can generally save some good money....

and, the "cheap" software we can ahold of, B) , saves even more

SiNi*F8
03-09-2003, 12:01 PM
I don't know if Dell are the same overseas are they are in Australia, but here, Dell's suck. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too over-priced, held up with crap (usually the equivelant of Compaq crap) and usually, you can't fix them yourself, unless you have some kind of degree in fuzzy logic.

I reckon desktop's are better than notebooks too. I'd highly recommend revising exactly why you want a notebook and seeing if it is really worth it too.

ooo
03-09-2003, 08:14 PM
lolz more handheld? even tho its more or less gonna be at home... :P... i dunnoz.... see alien desktops are nice and all but they don't have a monitor, keyboard and mouse!....

i dunno dells computer just seem cheap...

ooo
03-09-2003, 08:51 PM
still looking at different computers

so far i looked at
alienware
gateway
dell
sony

alienware is so expensive the others are in hundreds to thousands.... but alienware is nice but it doesnt come w/ monitor, mouse or keyboard! and itself it already cost like $2000 for a nice one... :P

Linkton
03-09-2003, 09:17 PM
I'd definitely build the thing myself if I was you, it is a WHOOOOOLE lot cheaper than buying it with an overpriced brand name like Dell, Sony, etc.

lol no skilled at building one...
onli 14!!!!
lol.. dunno all da parts... sooo... not going to try...

still want a notebook parents wont get me one...

say: too much errors, no use... already have a computer... we will get you a new one when your brother goes off to college in the summer lol

Come on man, I've built 3 computers so far and I turned 15 this past October! You can do it!

If you don't feel up to it.... :unsure: .....you should do like neevakee said and buy it off of Ebay.com (http://www.ebay.com), or use Pricewatch.com (http://www.pricewatch.com) to buy a complete system (Or BUILD it :D )

ooo
03-09-2003, 09:37 PM
heheh.... hmmm.... lol.... i dunt trust ebay... priceway seems confusing... im goign to check out newegg... lol... :P....

poli
03-09-2003, 09:49 PM
i mentioned this in one of your other posts.... What is your budget, what do u want it do to? if you shop around and build it yourself you will save a bundle and you'll also have some experience for when you want to upgrade. Its not hard to build one, just grab a "How to build a PC" guide from gamespot and if you have any problems/questions than were right here with ya

ooo
03-09-2003, 09:55 PM
ummm budget is probably less then 2000 around 1500 i think.... im not exactly sure.... its a personal computer... so im going to use it for gaming mostly...

Linkton
03-09-2003, 10:07 PM
yea pricewatch is a bit confusing, but I've found the prices to be lower than newegg.

poli
03-09-2003, 10:08 PM
ok well I just quickly looked stuff up at Newegg.com so prices are american:
Epox 8RDA+ - $108
AMD ATHLON XP 2800 Barton - $367
Western Digital 80bg hard drive 7200rpm - $92
KINGSTON 512MB pc2700DDR ram - $59.50
Sapphire ATI RADEON 9700 Atlantis PRO 128MB - $309
MSI CD-ROM 52X - $17
Any floppy drive - $5
and you could probably get yourself a neat case with a 350PSU for around $60

That adds upto $1017.50, youll have to add that tax on, cause i am from canada and dont know what American tax is. That would a pretty nice computer for gaming in my opinion for the budget you have. This does not include monitor/keyboard/mouse/speakers, assuming you have those already.

One thing about the Epox motherboard that is a good board for overclocking, if your not planning on overclocking I'd suggest eitehr sticking with that one or going with any other Nforce2 based motherboards.

ooo
03-09-2003, 10:08 PM
intrestin.... where would i find a shell..... does all shells work if you make one yourself? since i can copy alienware's format :P... i hope it includes everything

can someone tell me if all parts are there when you buy alienware computer...

www.alienware.com

ooo
03-09-2003, 10:09 PM
what do you mean by overcloaking?

poli
03-09-2003, 10:10 PM
Ooops almost forgot to say that all that stuff was from Newegg.com... i would have editted my post, but no images are showing

ooo
03-09-2003, 10:12 PM
no u said all things were from neweggs... :P

poli
03-09-2003, 10:12 PM
well overclocking is when you make your cpu or video card go faster than what it comes with (refered to as stock). Overclocking your cpu will void your warranty so if you absolutly know your doing than go for it, but for the time being dont worry about it

ooo
03-09-2003, 10:14 PM
okay then lolz :P

psloup
03-10-2003, 12:48 AM
alienware is a ripoff

pretty much any hardware online store will put together a machine for you these days

www.cyberpowerpc.com is where i go if i am gonna get a prebuilt dell.com if you want a big name brand the only thing that keeps me away from them is how gay their commercials are

ooo
03-10-2003, 01:16 AM
lolol.... i saw some other thing that was cheaper....

Schmiggy_JK23
03-10-2003, 10:38 AM
Build your own man, you will thank yourself later.

I had no clue hardware wise. Went, bought pcworlds, or someones, "learning series" type crap, on how to build a pc. Now, I know plenty hardware wise, build pcs for other people, and can upgrade my pc at any time, as I have plenty of room, and know exactly what will work in my system, and what wont.

Went though, made a list of the mandatory hard ware i needed, (and that I could port over from old pc for a bit, cost wise), then i went to price watch, and some of the great hard ware sites and checked out what they recommended.

My pc is actually almost identical to one that Sharkey Extreme (http://www.sharkeyextreme.com/) recommended parts wise over a year ago. They make these extreme, value, and high end pc recommendations every few months.

Here is the current "value" budget one they recommend building. Value PC to build yourself (http://www.sharkeyextreme.com/guides/MVGSBG/article.php/1557141). Not that u have to follow it exact or anything, but its a good start. Mine was actually a mix of their extreme and high end systems back in march of last year.

So check it out, they make it easy, to see what you need, and they are great when it comes to hardware. They even show u list "base" prices. And then u can go hunt for ur parts on pricewatch, or newegg if u must.

Supernatural
03-11-2003, 05:47 PM
Dell and Gateway or both great companies, IMO. Stay away from HP/Compaq, they have always had their problems. Alienware is awesome too, but don't forget about Falcon Northwest (http://www.falcon-nw.com/).

ooo
03-12-2003, 12:25 AM
i will check it out

neevakee
03-12-2003, 03:59 AM
If you have afriend who can do it bu the parts yourself and have him or her put it together for $50

Blue_Seraphim
03-12-2003, 05:24 AM
Definetely build your own. Get a computer shopper and start from there . Find some good ads for componets (motherboards, vid cards etc.). Then start piecing one together. you can chose between OEM or retail (retail=warranty, Oem=no warranty but cheaper). Order the components and put it together yourself. I recomend getting a motherboard with front side bus of over 300. An AMD processer whatever ghtz , and a radeon 8500 or better . Of course it depends on your cash flow. If you use an AMD (they r much faster than pentiums) I highly recomend an alluminum case for they tend to run hot.dont skimp on the RAM a stick of ddr 512 only the best will do where this is concerned and a huge hard drive .This might sound like alot , but it is much cheaper than buying prebuilt and shipped name brand pcs and way cheaper than notebook computers. plus the satisfaction from building a custom pc that kicks ass is great.

sArA
03-12-2003, 05:37 AM
Yeah, but if you dont want to build one yourself, and at 14 I can't see your mum letting you have the funds to try (well I wouldnt risk it) and if money is limited, you could always try the outlet stores of the major brands. I bought my pc from Dell outlet and got a great deal for about 200 less than if I bought it at normal price, plus you have a guarantee that is handy to have.

Lets face it, cock it up on the build, and mum is going to be really unhappy, you still wont have a computer and a considerable amount of money down the tubes. Its a possiblility that a 14yr old shouldnt have to worry about unless of course you are a comp wiz......in which case, go ahead, build one it is the cheapest option for the best system.

Blue_Seraphim
03-12-2003, 07:19 AM
Yea ok if your 14 yrs old and have to deal with your parents i recomend buying a dell. Im sure alot of ppl agree.

ooo
03-12-2003, 09:17 PM
okay i got it settled... i complied up alot of parts... im planing to build my own computer for like 900 dollars... i will use some internet guides to help me put the parts together... if anything i will get my cousin to help me but i think i can handle this...

wait up i will post the thread to the parts that i want...

ooo
03-12-2003, 09:18 PM
http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act...ST&f=31&t=20757 (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act=ST&f=31&t=20757)

the parts are listed there

PcH
03-12-2003, 09:35 PM
If you are buying a computer, I suggest you build your own. NewEgg (http://www.newegg.com) and PriceWatch (http://www.pricewatch.com) have the best deals. If you don't know how to build one, Dell/Alienware look the best [yet expensive].

ooo
03-12-2003, 10:24 PM
umm dell costs cheap <-- but its tcpa... alienware is alot but not tcpa

i used newegg and based the stuff that i wanted my parts to be from alienware... it total to be &#036;900.. shipping like 40 --; alienware would of been 1600+ but this both includes no monitor

Supernatural
03-15-2003, 08:31 PM
Well, if you really don&#39;t know what you are doing, then don&#39;t do it&#33; All these people here are savvy and assume that everyone else here is savvy, but you admitted that you aren&#39;t. Building a PC is easy for them, so that&#39;s what they suggest. But people who do not know how to do such a thing should not shouldn&#39;t kill themselves trying. DUDE, get a Dell&#33; :P

ooo
03-15-2003, 11:21 PM
lolz dankz but i think im going to configure my own com :P itz cheaper... i looked at websites and the hard part is just

plugging in the processor, putting in video, sound card, and plug in wires... the wires i know where it goes since i always take out the Cd rom drive and stuff... i just don&#39;t know if theres anything else i should be aware of :P

j2k4
03-18-2003, 05:28 AM
I don&#39;t consider myself computor-wise, but all I&#39;ve found seems to indicate doin&#39; it yourself would be the way to go, but take this advice: Find a Guru- someone who DOES know the scoop (with the soul of a salesman but the heart of a friend), educate yourself (don&#39;t sell yourself short) and realize that you have the luxury of being able to TAKE YOUR TIME TO DO IT RIGHT. If you can muster the patience, you shall be rewarded&#33;

Siras
03-18-2003, 05:43 AM
You should get a custom computer that way youc can upgrade with parts When u want.
Like i brought a custom one last year and im already adding new parts like 80gig hd more ram and maybe xp.
I think custom compuers are the best way

ooo
03-19-2003, 03:02 AM
heheh... yea in my previous post thread i wrote what com i wanted... wait up imma try lookin for the thread...

ooo
03-19-2003, 03:03 AM
http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act...ST&f=31&t=20757 (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act=ST&f=31&t=20757)

itz been revised alot tho... check latest onez