03-08-2004, 07:44 PM
Hey, I have some old comp parts and these are the specs:
Intel Celeron 850Mhz
2x128mb SD-Ram (256mb)
Old Mobo w/ 3 PCI, 2 Ram slots, no AGP
Onboard GFX, "Intel Extreme" :x
48x CD Rom
Not sure about HD space yet, but at least 15 gigs probably

Would I be able to run this as a dedicated server for Counter-Strike? I would most likely run windows 98se or linux on it, although I have legit copies of just about every OS, including 3.1, 95, 98, 98se, me, NT 4.0, XP home, XP pro, and maybe XP corp. I am guessing maybe 98 or linux would be best for running a server, but I have just about every OS, so whatever
if this comp can handle running a dedicated, how would I go about doing this?

Thanks

EDIT, sorry if in wrong world, but I figure my hardware is the thing limiting me on this, so I need to know if my hardware is good enough

Cygnuz-Y
03-08-2004, 08:04 PM
Linux my friend:

http://server.counter-strike.net/linuxbasic.html

kaiweiler
03-08-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Cygnuz-Y@8 March 2004 - 16:04
Linux my friend:

Thanks, great link!
So you think that com could handle running as a dedicated?
and it doesn't cost to run dedicated does it?

Cygnuz-Y
03-08-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by kaiweiler+8 March 2004 - 20:43--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kaiweiler @ 8 March 2004 - 20:43)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Cygnuz&#045;Y@8 March 2004 - 16:04
Linux my friend:

Thanks, great link&#33;
So you think that com could handle running as a dedicated?
and it doesn&#39;t cost to run dedicated does it? [/b][/quote]
I think that rig is able to handle a CS server, it shouldnt cost anything, BTW are you putting this in your internet connection or just for LAN? :huh:

kaiweiler
03-08-2004, 08:49 PM
I would LIKE to have it set up as an internet server, if that is possible.... :rolleyes:
not sure what that involves..

Cygnuz-Y
03-08-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by kaiweiler@8 March 2004 - 20:49
I would LIKE to have it set up as an internet server, if that is possible.... :rolleyes:
not sure what that involves..
It all depends in your internet connection speed, if too many people get connected you may have high pings and a lot of "lag", give it a try and see what happens... :01:

kaiweiler
03-08-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Cygnuz&#045;Y@8 March 2004 - 17:01
It all depends in your internet connection speed, if too many people get connected you may have high pings and a lot of "lag", give it a try and see what happens... :01:
alright, and since I&#39;m not all too familiar with linux commands, would it be fine to run it on another OS? 98 would be the best I figure
and how does having a server on my internet connection affect my bandwidth? like if my isp only allows 5 or 10 gb of monthly traffic, that would use it up right?

tesco
03-08-2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by kaiweiler+8 March 2004 - 17:04--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kaiweiler @ 8 March 2004 - 17:04)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Cygnuz&#045;Y@8 March 2004 - 17:01
It all depends in your internet connection speed, if too many people get connected you may have high pings and a lot of "lag", give it a try and see what happens...&nbsp; :01:
alright, and since I&#39;m not all too familiar with linux commands, would it be fine to run it on another OS? 98 would be the best I figure
and how does having a server on my internet connection affect my bandwidth? like if my isp only allows 5 or 10 gb of monthly traffic, that would use it up right? [/b][/quote]
yes it would use it up, the more people online on your server the more bandwaith will be used up. if there are a lot of people it all goes through your server and back to each person so your using many hyundreds of kilobytes per second and therefore using your bandwith up.

kaiweiler
03-08-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@8 March 2004 - 18:11
yes it would use it up, the more people online on your server the more bandwaith will be used up. if there are a lot of people it all goes through your server and back to each person so your using many hyundreds of kilobytes per second and therefore using your bandwith up.
hmm shitty
oh well, I&#39;m gonna set it up as a server anyway, and then probably run it out of a friends place that has a different ISP that allows more bandwidth

tesco
03-08-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by kaiweiler+8 March 2004 - 17:14--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kaiweiler @ 8 March 2004 - 17:14)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@8 March 2004 - 18:11
hmm shitty
oh well, I&#39;m gonna set it up as a server anyway, and then probably run it out of a friends place that has a different ISP that allows more bandwidth [/b][/quote]
try it out for like a week or something and see how much it uses, there are program you can download that will tell you your used bandwith but i forgot what it is called.

kaiweiler
03-08-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@8 March 2004 - 18:17
try it out for like a week or something and see how much it uses, there are program you can download that will tell you your used bandwith but i forgot what it is called.
Yeah, I know, I&#39;ve had those programs
It&#39;s just my ISP sends me a letter every month saying my usage and how it&#39;s about triple what they allow, they aren&#39;t to happy, and keep threatening to charge me for all the extra bandwidth I use :lol:
Too much filesharing&#33; :P