PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest Alternative In P2p....

ladybunnybear
03-12-2004, 10:05 PM
:clap: Ares:clap:

To all the Kazaalite users that have been keeping up superlists with Kazupernodes and editing sources with K-Dat to make your download work better... I have some good news...

ARES (http://www.aresgalaxy.org/) does it all for you...

I just installed it and was reluctant to loose all the great tools from Kazaalite...

Another good news is that you can download and upload partial files... It's true that, since it is fairly new, there's less users than on the fasttrack network, but if your file is available, the download happens much faster than with KL... There's a real good looking future...

And if a member reduces his upload bandwith, he is labeled as a leech...

I don't think you can cut in line when a file is queued and you know where you are in the queue (ex: (6) 6th) No more fake participation levels: everybody equal (more or less).

Ares can be spy/adware free. Just uncheck navhelp and tool bar when you install.

The only thing that it does have that kazaalite had, is the privacy option in regards to your shared folder. When someone uploads from you, they can go into your shared folder.

Just keep yourself protected (peerguardian etc...) and you should be fine

So far, I'm very satisfied and IMPRESSED...

4th gen
03-12-2004, 10:06 PM
http://slyck.com/ng.php ;)

ladybunnybear
03-12-2004, 10:59 PM
:fugley: :fugley: ???

4th gen
03-12-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by ladybunnybear@12 March 2004 - 21:59
:fugley: :fugley: ???
Newsgroups are, in my opinion, a superior alternative to Ares

ladybunnybear
03-12-2004, 11:22 PM
;) ok... I get it... (I thought I had say something wrong) :blink:

You could be right... but it sounds a bit teadious :frusty:

Arm
03-13-2004, 12:03 AM
Ares needs work done to it. It hogs up the cpu and it's little file hasing thing takes too long to go through all the files. But yes it can be better then Kazaa.

ladybunnybear
03-13-2004, 12:18 AM
:D it is for me... as long as I find sources...
if I can't find something I run kazaa... I prefer Ares :D

Sony
03-13-2004, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by ladybunnybear@13 March 2004 - 01:18
:D it is for me... as long as I find sources...
if I can't find something I run kazaa... I prefer Ares :D
yes and there are no Fake Files in Ares :) i like it to, i have dumped K-Lite sense i found Ares.....

I don't know why people still use FastTrack network..the network is full of fake files and you have the RIAA up your ass all the time trying to find way to sue you!

At least at Ares no one has been sued yet from them Greedy bastards!

Berserk Chaos
03-13-2004, 05:08 AM
From Download.com:

Ares is a file-sharing program. Search for and download your favorite music and video files shared by other users on a free peer-to-peer network. Ares's advanced queuing system and multisource swarmed downloads allow you to get what you want in the shortest amount of time. The transfer-autoresume feature lets you forget about interrupted transfers. Ares's library manager allows you to organize your shared files easily, protecting your security. Ares can enhance your file-sharing experience, thanks to its built-in audio/video player with full playlist support.
Editor's note: This download includes additional applications bundled with the software's installer file. Third-party applications bundled with this download may record your surfing habits, deliver advertising, collect private information, or modify your system settings. Pay close attention to the end user license agreement and installation options.
:blink:
:unsure: :unsure:

dingdongding
03-13-2004, 05:41 AM
yeah i like ares for the speed

as mentioned above just don't forget to decline navhelper during setup- if you don't no big deal you can just run spybot and you'll be good

kAb
03-13-2004, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Berserk Chaos@12 March 2004 - 22:08
From Download.com:

Ares is a file-sharing program. Search for and download your favorite music and video files shared by other users on a free peer-to-peer network. Ares's advanced queuing system and multisource swarmed downloads allow you to get what you want in the shortest amount of time. The transfer-autoresume feature lets you forget about interrupted transfers. Ares's library manager allows you to organize your shared files easily, protecting your security. Ares can enhance your file-sharing experience, thanks to its built-in audio/video player with full playlist support.
Editor's note: This download includes additional applications bundled with the software's installer file. Third-party applications bundled with this download may record your surfing habits, deliver advertising, collect private information, or modify your system settings. Pay close attention to the end user license agreement and installation options.
AGHHHH

how much more explicit can you get? :blink:

Arm
03-13-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Berserk Chaos@13 March 2004 - 00:08
From Download.com:

:blink: :unsure: :unsure: If I ran Ares on Linux with WINE would the spyware be able to work?

samnite
03-21-2004, 08:12 AM
Thank you. This is the first p2p program that I have found that works on my school's LAN. I just hope it will always work...

dingdongding
03-22-2004, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by kAb+13 March 2004 - 03:24--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kAb &#064; 13 March 2004 - 03:24)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Berserk Chaos@12 March 2004 - 22:08
From Download.com:

Ares is a file-sharing program. Search for and download your favorite music and video files shared by other users on a free peer-to-peer network. Ares&#39;s advanced queuing system and multisource swarmed downloads allow you to get what you want in the shortest amount of time. The transfer-autoresume feature lets you forget about interrupted transfers. Ares&#39;s library manager allows you to organize your shared files easily, protecting your security. Ares can enhance your file-sharing experience, thanks to its built-in audio/video player with full playlist support.
Editor&#39;s note: This download includes additional applications bundled with the software&#39;s installer file. Third-party applications bundled with this download may record your surfing habits, deliver advertising, collect private information, or modify your system settings. Pay close attention to the end user license agreement and installation options.
AGHHHH

how much more explicit can you get? :blink: [/b][/quote]
if you decline navhelper durting setup you won&#39;t get the adware- even if you forget to decline it you can remove navhelper, run spybot and you&#39;ll be good- i&#39;ve tested it both ways with various progs

AzNsMaRtGuY333
03-23-2004, 12:57 AM
i too love ares but i have a ques...i use ares and shareazaa but at the very end of the dl when i have .2 MB to dl it slows down like crazy. it goes from 200 KB/s to Finding Sources....how come its like that.

ladybunnybear
03-23-2004, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by AzNsMaRtGuY333@22 March 2004 - 19:57
but at the very end of the dl when i have .2 MB to dl it slows down like crazy.&nbsp; it goes from 200 KB/s to Finding Sources....how come its like that.
As you know, files are downloaded by "blocks". If the sources you have downloaded from have stopped uploading the file to you before they send a complete part of the block (anytime during the download) you start to get a few gaps in the file, so when the download is almost finished these gaps have to be filled which means small bits of the file are being sent so its much slower than a constant stream of the file being sent.

I dont think ares is too bad for this but i know kazaa is, especially for big files. For sure it&#39;s more drastic when it goes from 200 KB/s to very slow, but remember that if it goes so fast it&#39;s because you can download from partial files... (ARES) :01:

ladybunnybear
03-23-2004, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by ladybunnybear@12 March 2004 - 17:05
And if a member reduces his upload bandwith, he is labeled as a leech...
I am quoting myself here because I have a bit more info about this:

The "downloads allowed at once" option in preferances is originally set to 0. This means that you can download as many files at once, as you would like. If this option is changed, to say something like 5, that means that you can only download 5 files at a maximum. Other downloads will say Locally paused, until one of the 5 downloads finishes. Once one is done, a new download that previously said locally paused will start. This will continue until all the downloads are complete.

The "Maximum Upload Bandwidth" option in preferances is also originally set to 0. This means that all of your upload bandwidth (amount people can download from you) can be used. When someone changes this option to something below 8KB/s most of their downloads will say Leech Paused.

Ares has done this to decrease the possibilty of having people use Ares to download tons of files, but rarely upload at a good speed. If your downloads say leech paused, make sure this option hasn&#39;t been changed and says 0 or something above 8KB/s. :D

Colly
03-31-2004, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by ladybunnybear@12 March 2004 - 23:22
;) ok... I get it... (I thought I had say something wrong) :blink:

You could be right... but it sounds a bit teadious :frusty:
I sometimes use NewsGroups even though they are rather antiquated. Heck, I even researched a way to use Gopher searches just to see if I could.

If you want a fairly nice, easy to use News Reader program, I&#39;d recommend Forte&#39;s "Agent" reader from http://www.forteinc.com
I&#39;ve bought and still use their premium product Agent, but I started with Free Agent which is still available. It&#39;s greatest advantage over many other readers is its ability to automatically merge the multi-part divided up files into the one original file they started as. It also automatically discards the files which have ANY missing parts, which saves you a lot of wasted download time. BE CAUTIOUS&#33;: You MUST have ACTIVE anti-virus protection when you download stuff from the Usenet news groups. They are frequently loaded with infected files and/or spyware-laden files. Do NOT visit news groups without some kind of top-grade, auto-protect. anti-virusware loaded, up to date, and running on your PC. You have been warned&#33;

(For the insanely curious geeks interested in attempting Gopher searches, you should first visit http://gopher.floodgap.com/gopher/ which is actually a gopher proxy server that will let you do gopher searches even if you&#39;re using a newer version of MSIE from which Gopher functionality has been removed. The Floodgap site acts as a go-between http and gopher sites which were built before "http" was invented. You won&#39;t find much though, beyond maybe a few university files or old Nasa or government sites that have mostly been abandoned. )

ladybunnybear
03-31-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Colly@30 March 2004 - 21:03
If you want a fairly nice, easy to use News Reader program, I&#39;d recommend Forte&#39;s "Agent" reader
I&#39;m am almost invisible and very well protected... ;) I will give it a shot...
thanx :)