PDA

View Full Version : Want To Format (i) Drive

21UP
03-14-2004, 04:19 PM
Hi all
have 2 40 gig h/drives c on one drive f&i on other
want to format i to use for games .
Problem is almost everything i have on c drive i have on others ,i did not put them on like windows temp internet desktop and such.

Can i format without effecting c or f or will it take them all off.

win xp
512 ddr
asus mobo
2 40 gig h/d
thanks Peter

delphin460
03-14-2004, 04:23 PM
um yes if c drive is where your windows lives you can, just make sure you dont have any programs installed on I drive , or when you format it you will have to reinstall that software

just right click on I drive in my comp and choose format

21UP
03-14-2004, 04:57 PM
Hi DELPHIN 460
how the hell does it get there ,every time i add something to c drive it puts it on f and i .
So i have to delete them off f and i to free up space as i cant remove them with add remove or it will take em out of c .

I hope deleting them from f wont cause probs as i dont want to format f
cheers Peter

Storm
03-14-2004, 07:27 PM
:blink:

you make it REALLY hard to understand your problem, and yes, if you format the I: drive it shouldnt effect your C: drive, unless you have stuff linked (such as your documents and settings on the I: drive).......... installed apps you can better uninstall before formatting, cause it will leave your registry a mess if you dont.........

21UP
03-14-2004, 08:58 PM
Hi Storm
i am sorry but i find it hard for me to understand.
what i tried to say was in c drive is such as documents and settings,should this be in f drive and i drive as well
sorry if it is still un-understandable
cheers for your help anyhow Peter

Storm
03-15-2004, 01:50 AM
haha, thats ok...........

as long as all you windows stuff is NOT on the I: drive, you can go ahead.....

the worst that can happen in this case is that you will have to re-install some programs you have installed on the I: drive

windows will continue to function normally..........

delphin460
03-15-2004, 02:07 AM
if im reading this right you have doc and settings on all the drives?

hmm, now that is strange, im nott sure why that would be

you comp isnt a raid system is it, sure sounds weird

but if f and i are a seperate drive then it should be ok, but it does sound like your comp is a bit screwed up if thats happening

perhaps a full format and reinstall of windows might fix it all up for you

21UP
03-15-2004, 08:51 PM
Hi delphin and storm
thanks for your help,yes mobo has RAID on it but i made a point when i read manual to have jumper set to not double up programmes.
I did not mention raid on purpose so you would not say (oh thats why) but i knew it was not enabled.

It has been like this all year and it just takes up space for nothing.

But thanks to both of you Peter
PS i think i will delete all double progs and when i have time i will format and reinstall.cheers