PDA

View Full Version : Windows Xp Screw Up

SingaBoiy
03-14-2004, 08:44 PM
I unfortunately made windows xp un-usable on my other pc. I began to run install on that drive instead of another drive i ad on the pc. I canceled that and now its just about unusable (I could fix it but i dont want to waste the time).

I made a full back-up of the drive on this computer using Partition Magic 8. I wanted to know it there was any way I could install xp onto the drive and then put all of my documents and settings and all of my files on the drive with it running clean. All of my cookies running properly and all without the errors that were in the Windows folder in the previously installation.
Thank you for help.

liquidacid
03-14-2004, 09:39 PM
I assume that : -

- You have partitioned your drive with partition magic, copied your documents, application data, cookies and also program files (maybe) from your current c drive to the new partition (d for example).

- Now you want to clean install windows to the c drive, in the process of which you will format your c drive losing all data on it.

If this is the case then yes, you will be able to copy your old cookies, application data, cookies and documents to the cleanly installed windows © partion as they will be held safe on the new (d) partition.

You cannot however use existing program files, in most cases, as the registry entries will have been lost when installing windows. You will have to reinstall them.

SingaBoiy
03-14-2004, 09:49 PM
You have partitioned your drive with partition magic, copied your documents, application data, cookies and also program files (maybe) from your current c drive to the new partition (d for example).

I had recently formatted this hdd i am on right now and...

I made a full back-up of the drive on this computer using Partition Magic 8.

So now I have a file on this hdd that is an entire backup of the old drive i was trying to save.

supersonic
03-14-2004, 10:59 PM
There is a way to install windows without erasing your files. Only windows folder will be reinstalled. It is called repair installation. Use help files and Google.com to help you. Use at your own risk though, it's only for pro users (U have nothing to loose anyway ;) )

liquidacid
03-15-2004, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by SingaBoiy@14 March 2004 - 22:49

You have partitioned your drive with partition magic, copied your documents, application data, cookies and also program files (maybe) from your current c drive to the new partition (d for example).

I had recently formatted this hdd i am on right now and...

I made a full back-up of the drive on this computer using Partition Magic 8.

So now I have a file on this hdd that is an entire backup of the old drive i was trying to save.
Since when did partition magic ghost drives?

If this is true then yes, you should be able to take ownership of the files from the new installation (by disabling simple file sharing - google) of windows.