PDA

View Full Version : My Pc Restarts On Its Own... :(

tralalala
03-15-2004, 01:57 PM
so thats the gag... (well not really <_< ) i leave my PC overnight to download, and when i come back in the morning i find out it restarted on its own... it happens about twice during the day... no idea how many times during the night (also probably twice)

PLEASE help me... :(

Rafi

delphin460
03-15-2004, 02:25 PM
Lucky bastard &#33;&#33;&#33; i have to restart mine manualy

seriously, sounds like ether an overheating problem or a power supply issue , have you added any hardware lately, or overclocked

Samurai
03-15-2004, 02:26 PM
Is it overheating? Are the fans not working? Could it be spyware? Virus?

I&#39;m assuming you have run checks...

tralalala
03-15-2004, 02:29 PM
hmmm, it probably really is overheating... i mean, i havent manually turned off my PC in over 3 weeks, and this started about 2 weeks ago...

this still doesnt explaine why it restarts at around the same times every day...

Rafi

Samurai
03-15-2004, 02:35 PM
Well turn it off before you go to bed and let your PC sleep for at least 12 hours to cool itself down. If it still persists, run SpyBot.

tralalala
03-15-2004, 02:38 PM
ok ill try that... although still, the fans should have cooled it down no??
anyway, ill download spybot and make sure i fix this problem, cos its really pissing me off.......

Rafi

muchspl2
03-15-2004, 02:39 PM
:rolleyes: error reporting
turn off auto restart

Samurai
03-15-2004, 02:41 PM
Remember to update SpyBot.

tralalala
03-15-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by muchspl2@15 March 2004 - 16:39
:rolleyes: error reporting
turn off auto restart
where and how the hell do i do that?&#33;?&#33;?&#33;?&#33; :huh: :huh: :huh:
please, help me&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Rafi

oxygenuk
03-15-2004, 03:12 PM
do windows update and do all updates for your O/S also do a virus scan and get a firewall up and running on ya comp also remove unessecary items from the startup tab in msconfig (start>run>msconfig) like loadpowerprofile taskmonitor etc. just dont remove system tray that might help and hope it does (i know the feeling&#33;) ;)

Virtualbody1234
03-15-2004, 03:14 PM
Turn off the &#39;Automatic Restart&#39; feature in Windows.

Start>Control Panel>Switch to Classic View>System>Advanced>Startup and Recovery - Settings. Remove the checkmark from [ ] Automatically restart and click ok.

lynx
03-15-2004, 03:14 PM
There are two possibilities:
Either the hardware (or power) is unstable and is simply rebooting the machine
Or Windows is detecting a problem which means it cannot continue.

The first will be very difficult to detect, and is also the least likely, so ignore that possibility for the moment.

Assuming you are using win2k or XP, the default is for the system to automatically restart after such a crash. This is useful if critical software restarts after a reboot, but it doesn&#39;t help in finding the problem.

To find out if this is the cause, you need to turn off auto restart.

Go to Settings, Control Panel, System.
Select the Advanced tab and click Settings in the Startup and Recovery box.
In the System Failure box uncheck Automatically Restart, then click OK to confirm your changes.

If the problem is detected by windows, then the next time it happens you will see what is known as a "Blue Screen Of Death", but this time your system will not restart and you can make a note of the details. Ideally you should make a note of everything, but in the first instance it will probably be enough to make a note of the first couple of lines, particularly the one that starts **STOP**.

With this info there is a good chance of finding what is causing the problem.

tralalala
03-15-2004, 03:19 PM
i did the online Panda scan and it found a virus called Netskey.D (something like that - and i know its a newer version of the mydoom virus...).
So, i wonder if THAT was the cause of the restarting...?

Rafi

tralalala
03-15-2004, 03:26 PM
ive turned off system restart... lets hope this does the trick...

Rafi

tesco
03-15-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by tralalala@15 March 2004 - 10:26
ive turned off system restart... lets hope this does the trick...

Rafi
that wont actually stop it from restarting its just going to make a blue screen come up instead of a restart, you can then tell us the error code on that blue screen.

tralalala
03-15-2004, 04:09 PM
ive done an online Panda scan and it found a Netskey.D virus... could that be the cause?

havent seen it restart yet though...

Rafi

Virtualbody1234
03-15-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by tralalala@15 March 2004 - 10:09
ive done an online Panda scan and it found a Netskey.D virus... could that be the cause?

Rafi
It sure can.

But more likely a driver issue.

tralalala
03-15-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234+15 March 2004 - 18:21--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Virtualbody1234 @ 15 March 2004 - 18:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-tralalala@15 March 2004 - 10:09

Rafi
It sure can.

But more likely a driver issue. [/b][/quote]
what do you mean by "driver issue"??

Rafi

AcID ZeR0
03-15-2004, 04:44 PM
I used to have exactly the same problem damn pain in the ass it was too, It turned out my wirless usb network adaptor was causing it.

lynx
03-15-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by tralalala+15 March 2004 - 15:38--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tralalala @ 15 March 2004 - 15:38)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@15 March 2004 - 18:21
<!--QuoteBegin-tralalala@15 March 2004 - 10:09

Rafi
It sure can.

Rafi [/b][/quote]
He means a driver with a bug in it.

It could even be a driver you are not actually using, but is loaded because windows thinks you MIGHT use it.

Example: a friend of mine has a pci graphics card, but the mobo drivers include the AGP port drivers. When this driver is halted (at shutdown) it fails because there is no AGP card, resulting in BSOD. Auto restart made the system start back up again, which was annoying since clean shutdown was almost impossible. Simply disabling the driver cured the problem.

In other cases you may need to get updated drivers.

tralalala
03-15-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by lynx+15 March 2004 - 18:44--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx @ 15 March 2004 - 18:44)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by tralalala@15 March 2004 - 15:38

Rafi
It sure can.

Rafi

It could even be a driver you are not actually using, but is loaded because windows thinks you MIGHT use it.

Example: a friend of mine has a pci graphics card, but the mobo drivers include the AGP port drivers. When this driver is halted (at shutdown) it fails because there is no AGP card, resulting in BSOD. Auto restart made the system start back up again, which was annoying since clean shutdown was almost impossible. Simply disabling the driver cured the problem.

In other cases you may need to get updated drivers. [/b][/quote]
well, a driver with a bug in it could well be this Netskey.D that was obviously in one of the drivers, correct?

and i have turned off auto restart (i DO recall that when it restarted on its own, only once, then this blue screen came up for half a second... but that hasnt hapened since)

Rafi

tesco
03-15-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by tralalala+15 March 2004 - 11:49--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tralalala @ 15 March 2004 - 11:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by lynx@15 March 2004 - 18:44

Originally posted by tralalala@15 March 2004 - 15:38

Rafi
It sure can.

Rafi

In other cases you may need to get updated drivers.
well, a driver with a bug in it could well be this Netskey.D that was obviously in one of the drivers, correct?

and i have turned off auto restart (i DO recall that when it restarted on its own, only once, then this blue screen came up for half a second... but that hasnt hapened since)

Rafi [/b][/quote]
it could have been that the virus infected a driver file.

most likely the driver problem would lie in graphics card&#092;chipset&#092;modem or sound driver problems. I would update all of these to the latest (only if you get the restart again). Another common problem that causes blue screens is faulty ram.

tralalala
03-15-2004, 05:05 PM
well it wouldnt make much sense because this is the first time this is happening since i had the goddamn windows Me which i planned to remove as i bought the PC, but my dad never got around to it <_<

Rafi

tesco
03-15-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by tralalala@15 March 2004 - 12:05
well it wouldnt make much sense because this is the first time this is happening since i had the goddamn windows Me which i planned to remove as i bought the PC, but my dad never got around to it <_<

Rafi
download XP and format the drive and install XP and problem will be solved. or just reinstalling ME might fix it too.

tralalala
03-15-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+15 March 2004 - 19:27--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 15 March 2004 - 19:27)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-tralalala@15 March 2004 - 12:05
well it wouldnt make much sense because this is the first time this is happening since i had the goddamn windows Me which i planned to remove as i bought the PC, but my dad never got around to it&nbsp; <_<

Rafi
download XP and format the drive and install XP and problem will be solved. or just reinstalling ME might fix it too. [/b][/quote]
your misunderstanding... i USED to have windows ME, about 2 years ago, and thats when this restarting last happened.

so im wondering what made it start up again...

Rafi

tesco
03-15-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by tralalala+15 March 2004 - 12:39--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tralalala &#064; 15 March 2004 - 12:39)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@15 March 2004 - 19:27
<!--QuoteBegin-tralalala@15 March 2004 - 12:05

Rafi
download XP and format the drive and install XP and problem will be solved. or just reinstalling ME might fix it too.
your misunderstanding... i USED to have windows ME, about 2 years ago, and thats when this restarting last happened.

so im wondering what made it start up again...

Rafi [/b][/quote]
oh i c, you could try a repair install that helps me with some problems usually and it will leave all your programs and downloads on your hard drive. and it doesnt take too long to do. just put in your XP cd and start installing as usual and when it asks if youd like to repair your operatiing systen select yes.

tralalala
03-15-2004, 07:13 PM
you dont understand... i dont NEED to reinstall anything... its just i was wondering why it was restarting on its own...

Rafi

Virtualbody1234
03-15-2004, 07:48 PM
2 years without a reinstall? That&#39;s quite long. You should consider a format and reinstall (a new start).

Especially since you say you just had a virus.

tesco
03-16-2004, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by tralalala@15 March 2004 - 14:13
you dont understand... i dont NEED to reinstall anything... its just i was wondering why it was restarting on its own...

Rafi
I didnt say you NEED to reinstall it. <_< im just saying that it would be a lot easier if you did reinstall it, especially since its been 2 years and im sure the hard drive has accumulated a lot of junk over that time and might benefit from a reinstall anyway. youll probably fix your problems and youll get much better performance.

muchspl2
03-16-2004, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@15 March 2004 - 14:48
2 years without a reinstall? That&#39;s quite long. You should consider a format and reinstall (a new start).

Especially since you say you just had a virus.
word
I normal hate when people reformat instead of fixing minor problem but two years is longer than I have even gone :o

DWk
03-16-2004, 05:42 AM
Netsky.D?

Hmmm, that&#39;s the latest virus going around ;)

Check here (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected])

:)

tralalala
03-16-2004, 07:01 AM
ahem... did i say 2 years?? lol, i said 2 years since windows ME... i had reinstalled windows 3 times (2 of them were reformats) within the last 2 months.. :)

Rafi

delphin460
03-16-2004, 07:31 AM
if you have the virus Netsky.D then you cant have a working uptodate antivirus checker, get one if you are going to download and upload files

Netsky.D will also effect the reg and could make the comp restart, as it would see it as a fatal error