PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Watch Your Movies?

jontreacle
03-09-2003, 08:52 AM
OK, so you've downloaded, painstakingly, the movie you want. But how do you watch it? Are you a sit in front of the screen type? Do you connect yoru PC with S-VHS leads? Or do you encode and then burn the VCD SVCD route? Let me know

Genius
03-09-2003, 08:59 AM
I just watch all my films on my computer. And burning to VCD or SVCD takes too long and you end up with bad quality. B)

jontreacle
03-09-2003, 09:02 AM
What media player do you use? Can the player make a difference to the quality?

Genius
03-09-2003, 09:07 AM
No, I don't think that the media player has anything to do with the quality of the picture, the quality depends on the file itself and making sure that you have the right codecs.
B)

jetje
03-09-2003, 10:20 AM
my pc is wireless connected to my tele... is very easy at low cost.
So watch them on the tele B)

Rocktron
03-09-2003, 10:37 AM
CTRL+ALT+T and it switches to my TV (Asus AGP 6800 Cart) an oldie but it works fine!

Full screen on my Philips super BIG TV Set!

I use a simpel DivX Player (GDivX Player)

Genius
03-09-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by jetje@9 March 2003 - 11:20
So watch them on the tele B)
What is it called, because I would prefer to watch mine on the tele?

Rocktron
03-09-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by jontreacle@9 March 2003 - 10:02
What media player do you use? Can the player make a difference to the quality?
Just make shure your Bitrate is set to 32bit !

Or your quality wil be less... much less!
All the dark bits in the movie will come out uhm... blurry and in strange colours!

The player can make a difference but i'ts mostly the codec's u use..
All players uses the same codecs!

Oni
03-09-2003, 11:02 AM
brun them as data disks to save them,, watch them on the tv (tv out card )
if any one wants a copy just record whit the video from the tv ,,,,
takes to long to convert :huh: mugs game :P

Oni :ph34r:

nahan
03-09-2003, 12:14 PM
I custom made my entertainment system to include my computer.

ive got a 32 inch wide screen hdtv connected to my computer through
s video msi ti4200 8x 3d card(good enough for me),wireless optical keyboardand mouse. I use my computer as a tivo
5.1 cordless surround .leather lazy boy recliner
I use the t.v as my moniter divx or windows media 9 to watch movies

what type of video players do you guys use?

oh wait the worst part is that i ve been struggling to get ac3 codec to work properly i can barely hear it for certin movies
any help would be great ........this is so sad ive tried allmost everything

ToraBoraDweller
03-09-2003, 08:40 PM
You might also check out a program called Tv-tool.
Used to be freeware ,now shareware, just performed search for hash but
couldn't find it here. But here is the weblink http://tvtool.info/index_e.htm.

jetje
03-09-2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Genius+9 March 2003 - 12:41--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Genius @ 9 March 2003 - 12:41)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jetje@9 March 2003 - 11:20
So watch them on the tele&nbsp; B)
What is it called, because I would prefer to watch mine on the tele? [/b][/quote]
it&#39;s a set by Marmitek. connect it to the video out on your videocard.
the other one on a tv (distance up to 100 meters, walls or floors are no problem)
select 2nd device tv.. and you can watch. payed €35,- for it.

johnnytightlips2
03-09-2003, 10:47 PM
damn i want to get that but im not living in england.

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
03-09-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Genius@9 March 2003 - 00:59
I just watch all my films on my computer. And burning to VCD or SVCD takes too long and you end up with bad quality. B)
I only encode when I really really want to keep it. Normally, I sit in front of the comp, pull up a lounge chair with some sodas and snacks, and the occasional friend or family member. B)

jetje
03-09-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by johnnytightlips2@10 March 2003 - 00:47
damn i want to get that but im not living in england.
me neither, In the netherlands but use google it&#39;s a pretty common product.

Darth Sushi
03-10-2003, 12:28 AM
With some popcorn, chips or pizza. ;)

FLeX.Swe
03-10-2003, 01:40 PM
if u rent a DvD movie i copy them :D

ToraBoraDweller
03-11-2003, 01:11 PM
So ....are we all couch-potatoes ? :(

ShareDaddy
03-11-2003, 08:10 PM
I watch them via my video card with TV out on my 57 Inch Widescreen. Friends and family all love ShareDaddy&#39;s movie nights. But I am somewhat interested in Jetje&#39;s wireless hookup, sounds rather cool, I will have to investigate.

ShareDaddy
03-11-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by jetje+9 March 2003 - 17:46--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jetje @ 9 March 2003 - 17:46)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Genius@9 March 2003 - 12:41
<!--QuoteBegin--jetje@9 March 2003 - 11:20
So watch them on the tele&nbsp; B)
What is it called, because I would prefer to watch mine on the tele?
it&#39;s a set by Marmitek. connect it to the video out on your videocard.
the other one on a tv (distance up to 100 meters, walls or floors are no problem)
select 2nd device tv.. and you can watch. payed €35,- for it. [/b][/quote]
Alright buddy, we need more info on your Marmitek set-up. Exactly what version do you have and what is the Quality like? Very interested here on my end.

Skillian
03-11-2003, 08:20 PM
Any chance of the model number or the place you got it from jetje?

Found one by Marmitek but it&#39;s £95&#33; :o

jetje
03-11-2003, 11:18 PM
Sorry didn&#39;t get back on it pmed already with some..

Well it&#39;s Marmitek400 2,4 ghz transmitter has 4 different channels using jacks (as that&#39;s the english word for it) comes with audio splitter to jack (from small pin as the audio out on soundcard, stereo to red/white audio)
and yellow video.
No software needed to install, just your videocard software it needs to have a video out...
Playing vids is probably no different as using a cable.

Audio is no difference stereo quality think it&#39;s 99% Video quality is good a cable is better though 95%.
Have hardly any interference, connection is stable till 100 meters through walls and floors.

Prizes, well i got it from a local electronic shop. There are 2 versions, one with a remote and infra red control, and the cheap one i got without that....

Skillian
03-11-2003, 11:20 PM
Thanks jetje B)

Going on the hunt now...

edit: Wow jetje, you got a good deal&#33;

Eventually I found a Philips SBC VL1200 Video Sender, nearly new for £70. Does the same job as the Marmitek, except you can connect 2 devices to the sender. Best deal I could find (if the guy hasn&#39;t sold it yet).

healimonster
03-12-2003, 04:41 AM
I think this is the american version of it.

It is called "entertainment anywhere". I did a little research and apparently the annoying pop up ads master X10 is the american counterpart of Marmitek.

It is 70 dollars with free shipping.
Once I learn more about it I will probably buy it

http://www.x10.com/products/x10_vk57a.htm#e560d.4b6a

http://graphics.x10.com/images9/ent_anywhere_big.jpg

But it befuddles me how they think they can sell a product like this with out explaining how it connects to anything. No where on the page does it say "video card" or "tv-out".

Still I don&#39;t know how else it would hook up to your pc. They probably shy away from such information since most computers do not have TV-out cards.

I was happy to learn that mine does. It looks like an S-Video cable. But it appears this product just uses the traditional RCA cables.Would I need some converter from radio shack?

Or are all tv-out&#39;s on video cards S-video.

This could be really cool... but if you go full screen with many movies on your pc and they look like crap, I could only imagine how bad it would look on a large TV.

healimonster
03-13-2003, 01:32 AM
Well I bought one today.

It should arrive sometime next week. I will let you know how it works.

jetje
03-13-2003, 04:22 AM
curious at that... nice info Healimonster B)

Skillian
03-13-2003, 04:55 PM
Heliamonster i got one today. Works very well with good quality picture and sound but when i try to play a video on my pc i just get a black screen but the sound comes through. Anyone have any ideas about this... please?

edit: it&#39;s not the video sender its my graphics card :angry: looking through to try and solve this...

ToraBoraDweller
03-13-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Skillian@13 March 2003 - 17:55
Heliamonster i got one today. Works very well with good quality picture and sound but when i try to play a video on my pc i just get a black screen but the sound comes through. Anyone have any ideas about this... please?

edit: it&#39;s not the video sender its my graphics card :angry: looking through to try and solve this...
Did you check your outputdevice-setting for videocard.
Default is analog monotor you must therefore select tv.
There is a proggy called tv-tool that lets you switch back and forth. ;)

itay
03-13-2003, 08:13 PM
i use Divx player.......

it is very easy to use

Thickey
03-13-2003, 08:30 PM
No No No...

Are you all mad ?? :blink:

By FAR and away the best thing to use is an Xbox... it works just SO well.

get a standard Xbox.. bung a mod chip in it and install XBMP (http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/) on it.

You get an excelent media player, no huge PC next to your TV.. the ability for AC3 output and a games console (which you can install mame, and a load of other great things on it).

Once you see a working system there is no going back &#33;

Skillian
03-13-2003, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the reponses people. Managed to get it to work using XP&#39;s multiple monitors feature. :)

But that XBox thing sounds the best of all. Shame I haven&#39;t got one, but that is one more (big) advantage for the machine. B)

healimonster
03-14-2003, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by Thickey@13 March 2003 - 21:30
No No No...

Are you all mad ?? :blink:

By FAR and away the best thing to use is an Xbox... it works just SO well.

get a standard Xbox.. bung a mod chip in it and install XBMP (http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/) on it.

You get an excellent media player, no huge PC next to your TV.. the ability for AC3 output and a games console (which you can install mame, and a load of other great things on it).

Once you see a working system there is no going back &#33;
How did you mod your xbox? I have heard installing a mod chip is not walk in the park and requires some very accurate soldering.

More importantly how do you get your movies to your xbox? It has an HD yes. 8 gig I think. Assuming your running linux off of it and you download them?

Does the drive have enough space to download more than a couple of movies without having a xbox with a bogged down HD?

Using the mod chip negates your XBOX&#39;s Xbox live capability.. going forward essential negating your xbox gaming ability in general. I would love for my xbox to be able to do more, but I would never do it unless I had an xbox that was not modded, and I can find better ways to spend 250 dollars.

Thickey
03-14-2003, 07:58 AM
I was not able to mod it myself... but a friend of mine did it for me, he has done Playstations in the past. There is only one hard point to solder... and you can get non-solder solutions.

As for the movies.. I just stream them from my PC. you can use a bit of server software (called relax) or just use file and printer sharing over SMB.. so I can browse the whole list of movies on my 120GB media server PC. IT is flawless. And I can listen to MP3&#39;s.. even shoutcast support and visualisations.

I have an Xbox live kit.. just install a switch, one flick and it goes back to an off the shelf xbox (not that there is anything worth using xbox live for yet). this (http://www.xbox-scene.com/) site has a load of resources and ideas including the switch mod.

spork
03-14-2003, 08:44 AM
Wow&#33;
All these processes of yours sound rather complicated. I&#39;m happy enough just watching them on my comp.

bard
03-14-2003, 09:14 AM
<smug mode>
I re-encode & burn to DVD, then playback on my NEC 9PG XTRA projection system on a 6 foot screen&#33; Moving later in the year & building a dedicated home theatre, so I can take more advantage of the potential 25 foot screen projection size that this beast can handle (although I suspect my wife will make me cap it at around 10 foot ;-) &#33;
</smug mode>

bugeja
03-16-2003, 12:32 AM
actually i watch them using my playstation2...

just burn the avi along with the ps2 media player, pop the cd in the ps2 and off you go

ps2 media player from here : www.ps2reality.net

note. ps2 must be chipped.

TJX
03-16-2003, 01:03 AM
I have my computer hooked up to my 28" tv with 10 speakers surround sound....but it usually is to loud to use since i mainly watch movies at night so i have to settle with my tv&#39;s mono speaker

jamesalderson
03-16-2003, 06:58 PM
Hello....I have recently started to download movies....I spent alot of time downloading tears of the sun. it was two big files and when I clicked on it my ms windows media player opened, looked like it was starting to play but there was no video or sound. I thought/read something about codecs so I downloaded divx 5.0.3 player and installed it. I tried to run the first half of the movie again and the same thing happened. I went to Microsoft to update the codecs if that was the problem and it said everyhting was up to date.

Can someone give me the readers digest version of what to do to watch this movie and get more or a link on what to do......I have looked all over on what to do with no luck :(

What is the best player to download to watch these ?

Here it the name of the movie etc: [tmd]Tears.of.the.Sun.(FTF).ts.(1of2).real do I need to change the ending of this file or anything to watch it on my microsoft media player series 9 9.00.0.2980 ??

S O M E O N E P L E A S E H E L P M E THANKS :)

James Alderson
[email protected]

ToraBoraDweller
03-16-2003, 10:23 PM
First check out the file with GSpot (=included in codecpack)
Open your moviefile in it and look carefully at generated info.
It should say with which codec your movie was encoded but ALSO
if that codec is installed on your machine.
Various codecpacks obtainable at http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/mirror.htm ;)