PDA

View Full Version : So Why Dosen't Everone Just Use Edonkey2000lite052

RealitY
03-18-2004, 11:03 PM
I've just started but it it has both setups combined and seems not to have any crapware that I can see so for, rather simple to use as well...

thisiswhoweare
03-18-2004, 11:13 PM
i was gonna ask why you dont use emule, but since it doesnt connect to both networks, i'll ask why you dont use overnet.

RealitY
03-18-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by thisiswhoweare@18 March 2004 - 15:13
i was gonna ask why you dont use emule, but since it doesnt connect to both networks, i'll ask why you dont use overnet.
WTF, I have used eMule for ages, the whole point is that this conects to Overnet and the servers that eMule uses at the same time, so in other words it does connect to both and is a lite version...

thisiswhoweare
03-18-2004, 11:25 PM
sorry got confused. I thought you were asking why people dont use edonkey (assuming you were using it).

ive always used emule. Took 3 weeks for me to grow to like it, but now it kicks ass. :)

RealitY
03-19-2004, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by thisiswhoweare@18 March 2004 - 15:25
sorry got confused. I thought you were asking why people dont use edonkey (assuming you were using it).

ive always used emule. Took 3 weeks for me to grow to like it, but now it kicks ass. :)
I think eMule is great as well and have built up decent credits file but it just seems like this may be the best of both, at the moment I am connected to Razorback and Overnet at the same time, its hard to argue with that...

Image Resized
[img]http://server6.uploadit.org/files/REALITY-EDK2.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'> ('http://server6.uploadit.org/files/REALITY-EDK2.jpg')

thisiswhoweare
03-19-2004, 04:11 AM
your stats or values for users and total files might be wrong...

eMule v1k beta 3 Statistics [[ARC] reanimated838uk]

Servers
Working Servers: 70
Failed Servers: 44
Deleted Servers: 15
Total: 114
Total Users: 1,909,052
Total Files: 147,053,644
UDP Search: Next Search in 7:07 mins
Records

my values are much higher and on emule network only.

RealitY
03-19-2004, 05:02 AM
Well I just started the tweak process so we shall see, although I find this rather interesting as it seems Overnet users dont share much by comparison...

http://server6.uploadit.org/files/REALITY-SeOv.jpg

Razorback = 400,000+ users with almost 35 million files
Which equals about 80+ files shared per user.

Overnet = 600,000+ users with just over 2 million files
Which equals just over 3 files per user.

The screen shot above was taken just after starting the client
Right now I see

Total Users: 1.7 million+
Total Files: 137 million+

What does confuse me still though is if I fall further back in Q with this client compared to eMule since I do not have credits or does the EDK2 client also have a credit system for servers, since if it dosen't it would seem that an eMule client with decent credits would have priority in this case.

thisiswhoweare
03-19-2004, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by REALITY@19 March 2004 - 04:02
What does confuse me still though is if I fall further back in Q with this client compared to eMule since I do not have credits or does the EDK2 client also have a credit system for servers, since if it dosen't it would seem that an eMule client with decent credits would have priority in this case.
heuh?

RealitY
03-19-2004, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by thisiswhoweare+18 March 2004 - 21:11--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (thisiswhoweare &#064; 18 March 2004 - 21:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-REALITY@19 March 2004 - 04:02
What does confuse me still though is if I fall further back in Q with this client compared to eMule since I do not have credits or does the EDK2 client also have a credit system for servers, since if it dosen&#39;t it would seem that an eMule client with decent credits would have priority in this case.
heuh? [/b][/quote]
The main part of the question is comaring connecting to a server through the newer EDK2 compared to eMule for example, leaving the Overnet part of the client aside.

I don&#39;t see any credit file loaded like I do when I first start eMule, so if this client is connected to a server such as Razorback I would be seen as just a anybody going straight to the back of the Q, whereas if I connected to Razorback via eMule with my 5,000 credits I may find myself in a better Q position considering my credits. Then the question is as fallows, does this client even have a credits system at all. Hope that makes the question clearer...

thisiswhoweare
03-19-2004, 10:30 AM
yeah thats a question i dont know the answer too.

RealitY
03-21-2004, 07:47 AM
Well in the end I just don&#39;t care for this client compared to eMule nor do I care for the Overnet network either currently. Thing is eMule is great for rare files and its users have large shares which Overnet users don&#39;t seem to have.

I did notice some files were able to find more user with this Hybrid but I just don&#39;t like the interface or its feel nor was it any faster for the files I generally get on the network, besides I connect to Hybrid users all the time with eMule, just not solo Overnet users.

I hear allot about hoarding and speeds being faster on Overnet compared to eMule on some files, perhaps new releases, but the point I would have to make here is I never get new release with eMule nor would I want to with Overnet or the Hybrid, its only common sense to use News, IRC or BT for newer releases.

The whole EDK2 network in my opinion has always been based on a good large rare file base which Overnet and its users appear to be adding nothing to, quite frankly Overnet looks like a new improved KL to me, better concepts, hashing and so forth, but since I only use the network for hard to find files and occasionally software I really see no point in Overnet or the Hybrid so I shall quite happily be returning to eMule for now...

thisiswhoweare
03-21-2004, 10:49 AM
I agree. Most people who read the posts in this section, will jump at the chance to use overnet lite when they hear "faster than emule", and "better than kazaa". And while it doesnt require some time to work out ideal settings, pretty much anyone can download large amounts without sharing much.... quickly. Which to me is an invitation to leechers and newbies who dont understand the concept of sharing on the network (yet?).

I have nothing against people wanting to get new files of this network. I would never use IRC to get files recently released. Or BT or newgroups for that matter. Simple because each method has disadvantages compared to emule.
1) IRC - Harder to work out.
2) Newsgroups - You need to be on a good newsgroups, which my ISP doesnt seem to have. Missing files can happen or deleted files too. You have to recombine parts to one big file.
3) BT - No last seen complete feature. And has to be the least security in any p2p i know.

I very rarely get files that are new, most of my files are posted on SR 2/3 years ago, so the horde system doesnt do much for me. Uploading to the fastest uploaders themselves seems kinda unfair to me. It doesnt necessarily mean that they are gonna be good sharers. I dont particularly like mldonkey or edonkey hybrid, since most emule users always have issues with these....ie each session you download xKB - xxxKB, and nothing really that helpful.

Ranting over

RealitY
03-21-2004, 11:07 AM
Well I agree to most above although IRC is really rather simple, as for News I have 99% completion, and as for BT security, well I may agree if your sitting on SuperNova dling movies like many do, though I don&#39;t...

As for Overnet I see it as nothing more than a simpleton sharing app made for the masses to replace the possible demise of Fast Track, although I thought Shareaza had a great chance at that place earlier, it looks like Overnet may win this prize.

thisiswhoweare
03-21-2004, 11:37 AM
I might give IRC a try in the summer. Is it any good for rare/old files? Can you search for them or is it like newsgroup where you get them displayed and you download them?
Where do the files actually come from? I&#39;m assuming its illegal since you can download films and what not, so how come they aint been targeted?

RealitY
03-21-2004, 08:19 PM
http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=69650