PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Think About This

Mïcrösöül°V³
03-22-2004, 02:29 AM
i saw one of these in a compaq puter at compUSA, so i looked for it and found it. anyone ever try one of these? i read the reviews on newegg, but i want to hear from the peeps on this forum, cuz it seems we have a few resident experts on cooling. (KLF rules, as always)
coolermaster jet 4 at newegg.com (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-103-142&depa=0)

FlyingDutchman
03-22-2004, 11:46 AM
Yep, It's a cooler. And a powerful one.

And it's a solution.

But how can you expect us to judge a solution when we are not told what the problem is?

In another thread you told us you bought a new case and case fans.
Perhaps it would help when you stated:
- Your goals
- Recycled items and already bought items
- Budget

That Jet4 cooler could be the perfect solution for 1 user, and absolutely useless for another.

clocker
03-22-2004, 02:33 PM
I have no direct personal experience with this particular cooler.

But, as usual, I shan't let that stop me from voicing an opinion.

Looking at the specs on the fan (blower?) it is only generating mediocre CFM whilst producing quite a bit of noise in the process.

I realize that a squirrel cage blower does not have the dead spot that an axial fan does, so perhaps there is an efficiency factor to consider, but even so I'd guess that this unit is all show and very little go.

Mïcrösöül°V³
03-22-2004, 11:02 PM
i am just looking for something to help OC my puter as much as i can. i dont have any problems, but i want it to be as cool as possible so that i can OC without alot of fear of heat probs. my ASUS board can oc up to 30% over stock just using the bios, but i cant get it to go past 10% without it not booting, so i figured i may need to cool my vid card and other components to eliminate the heat possibility.my specs are:
ASUS P4C800-E deluxe
P4 3.0c HT
Radeon 9500 pro
512mb ddr400
300w PSU
1 antec variable speed 120mm case fan (at the moment)

currently not OC'd
im still waiting on my case and case fans to arrive

tesco
03-22-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Mïcrösöül°V³@22 March 2004 - 18:02
i am just looking for something to help OC my puter as much as i can. i dont have any problems, but i want it to be as cool as possible so that i can OC without alot of fear of heat probs. my ASUS board can oc up to 30% over stock just using the bios, but i cant get it to go past 10% without it not booting, so i figured i may need to cool my vid card and other components to eliminate the heat possibility.my specs are:
ASUS P4C800-E deluxe
P4 3.0c HT
Radeon 9500 pro
512mb ddr400
300w PSU
1 antec variable speed 120mm case fan (at the moment)

currently not OC'd
im still waiting on my case and case fans to arrive
increasing te vcore (if u havent tried that) will make it more stable, but will also make the temps rise by a lot. also you will need some high clocked ram to be able to get the FSB very high. unless you change teh ram:fsb ratio...

clocker
03-23-2004, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Mïcrösöül°V³@22 March 2004 - 15:02
i figured i may need to cool my vid card and other components to eliminate the heat possibility.
So what are your current temps?

As Rossco mentioned, the RAM may be your bottleneck.

Mïcrösöül°V³
03-23-2004, 02:00 AM
my board temps are
CPU: 45C
MB: 29C

thats all the temps that asus probe shows

my ram is a 512 stick of transcend ddr400 (pc 3200/32mx8/3-3-3) i dont know what any of this means.
and my fsb is 800mhz

clocker
03-23-2004, 05:15 AM
OK, is that 45°c at idle?

If the Asus probe utility is the same for Intel boards as it is for AMD's, then your chip temp is actually much higher than the socket temp that Asus is reading.

I would concentrate on getting your case temp lower before worrying too much about the CPU solution.
A MB temp 2-3 degrees higher than room ambient would be a good result to aim for.
Once you achieve this, then you can begin to attack the chip temps.

In future, try to concentrate on your CPU temps whilst operating at 100% ( run Folding@Home or Prime 95 to do this), cause load temps are more critical than idle temps....

Mïcrösöül°V³
03-23-2004, 05:28 AM
it is at 46C while folding@home right now
mobo still at 30C

FlyingDutchman
03-23-2004, 12:17 PM
One of the most efficient cooling solutions for you might be this:

http://www.micforg.co.jp/images/s-pal8952m81_a.jpg

The Alpha Pal 8952 (http://www.micforg.co.jp/en/c_s-pal8952e.html) connected to your Tornado case fan using a Badong hose.

http://www.dansdata.com/images/badong/s60duct280.jpg

The result would look something like this:

http://www.dansdata.com/images/badong/installed280.jpg

Perhaps doesn't look 'cool', but guaranteed to keep your CPU cool. :P

The great plus here is that heated air is expelled from your case immediately, resulting in lower case temps. And all kind of other components benefit from those lower case temps.

EDIT:

Here a review of the new Alpha Pal (http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=154)

bigdawgfoxx
03-24-2004, 02:30 AM
I think with that hose it brings cool air straight to the cpu...it doesnt bring hot air out.

Mïcrösöül°V³
03-24-2004, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@23 March 2004 - 20:30
I think with that hose it brings cool air straight to the cpu...it doesnt bring hot air out.
no, i think he is saying to connect that hose to my tornado case fan (which expells outward) and connect the other end of the hose to the heatsink (which would make the tornado basically suck air past the cpu and out the hose) right?

and where is that hose from? link?

bigdawgfoxx
03-24-2004, 03:40 AM
I think hes saying put the tornado on your CPU...or just put it on the other end of the hose on the case..and have it suck air out...but thats not what it does...you should have the case fan blowing IN to bring cool air directly to the cpu

clocker
03-24-2004, 02:57 PM
Micro,
I think BidDawg is correct here.
Most heatsinks yield better results if you blow air onto them as opposed to sucking air through them.
You can of course experiment and see for yourself...

FlyingDutchman
03-24-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Mïcrösöül°V³+24 March 2004 - 03:13--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mïcrösöül°V³ &#064; 24 March 2004 - 03:13)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@23 March 2004 - 20:30
no, i think he is saying to connect that hose to my tornado case fan (which expells outward) and connect the other end of the hose to the heatsink (which would make the tornado basically suck air past the cpu and out the hose) right?

and where is that hose from? link?[/b]

You&#39;re right Micro, I meant bringing hot air from the CPU through the hose to the outside.
That way you prevent the hot air from increasing the case temps even more.

For sale at Directron (http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/nsearch?catalog=directron&query=badong&.autodone=http%3A%2F%2Fdirectron.com%2F) or, for in Europe, here (http://www.perfect-systems.nl/info.asp?Info=38507)

Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@24 March 2004 - 03:40

I think hes saying put the tornado on your CPU...or just put it on the other end of the hose on&nbsp; the case..and have it suck air out...but thats not what it does...you should have the case fan&nbsp; blowing IN to bring cool air directly to the cpu

Yes, many people use the Badong that way, but I think that&#39;s wrong. See below for an explanation.

<!--QuoteBegin-clocker@24 March 2004 - 14:57
Micro,
I think BidDawg is correct here.
Most heatsinks yield better results if you blow air onto them as opposed to sucking air through them.
You can of course experiment and see for yourself...[/quote]

The Alpha Pal (this model, and the previous ones) is one of the few heatsinks that perform better in &#39;sucking mode&#39;
Check this review (http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=154) again.

Simplified:

A PC draws 180 Watts from the mains, and all this power is transformed to heat in our PC. (not totally true, some energy comes out as sound and as light, but the amount is of no importance.)
About 60 Watts worth of power in the PSU.
About 60 Watts worth of power by the CPU.
About 60 Watts worth of power by other things like graphics card, board, disks, fans.

As the airflow in the PSU goes from case to outside we don&#39;t need to worry about the heat created in the PSU. We DO need to make sure that the air entering the PSU is cool enough to cool the PSU it self.

So 120 Watts of power is transformed into heat in the case. When we are able to capture half of that amount as soon as it exsists, and bring it outside, then already half the problem is taken care of.
Everyone will understand it&#39;is much easier to cool your graphics card, northbridge and disks with air 26 degrees Celcius than doing it with air 32 degrees Celsius. The same goes for the PSU.

Blowing cool air from outside onto your CPU will cool it more than my solution, but then the heated air is released in the case, and you have all kind of troubles getting it out again. Besides, injecting air into the case up high distrubs the natural airflow in the whole case, and your graphics card and disks may suffer from it.
This way of cooling equals &#39;vacuum-cleaning without a dustbag". Sure, the vacuum-cleaner has better suction without a bag, but the appartment won&#39;t get clean.

You can use different solutions to suck air through the CPU-heatsink:
1 Case fan at the end of the hose,
1 Heatsink fan pushing air through the hose,
or both at the same time.

As a general rule: cooling air should enter the case low down in the front, and leave the case high at the rear.

Mïcrösöül°V³
03-24-2004, 11:12 PM
thanks for the link dutch. :) the case i am running in now has 1 case fan blowing out in the rear, and a air inlet slot at the bottom of the front of the case. as a side note, i own a hepa air cleaner, ya know, those big round things that clean the air in a room. anyway, it needs the pre-filter changed every 3 months or so, and the filters come in one size, and you trim it to fit around the hepa filter. there is always big pieces left over, and i had a EUREKA moment, and now i use those leftovers to put under the front bezel to stop all the crud from getting sucked into my PC. it works awesomely. (off topic a bit, i know) :P you can buy the pre-filter material at Sears for like 9 bucks, and if you did, there is enough to replace it in the PC for prolly a year or more, cuz the roll is like 3 feet long by 2 feet wide. also, the material will clean the air better than anything else, cuz its meant to keep the dust off of the HEPA filter (which costs 40+ bucks), and a pc fan dont move anywhere near the amount of air that hepa cleaner moves (it replaces the air in a 24x24 foot room 6 times every hour). i didnt realize i was gunna write a book about this, maybe this post is meant more for a suggestion thread or sumthin. :D

ooooohhh............UPS is gunna drop my new case and fans and PSU off at 6pm EST. im all excited now :w00t:
im kinda pissed that i cant find my ASUS bezel sticker <_<

tesco
03-24-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Mïcrösöül°V³@24 March 2004 - 18:12
thanks for the link dutch. :) the case i am running in now has 1 case fan blowing out in the rear, and a air inlet slot at the bottom of the front of the case. as a side note, i own a hepa air cleaner, ya know, those big round things that clean the air in a room. anyway, it needs the pre-filter changed every 3 months or so, and the filters come in one size, and you trim it to fit around the hepa filter. there is always big pieces left over, and i had a EUREKA moment, and now i use those leftovers to put under the front bezel to stop all the crud from getting sucked into my PC. it works awesomely. (off topic a bit, i know) :P you can buy the pre-filter material at Sears for like 9 bucks, and if you did, there is enough to replace it in the PC for prolly a year or more, cuz the roll is like 3 feet long by 2 feet wide. also, the material will clean the air better than anything else, cuz its meant to keep the dust off of the HEPA filter (which costs 40+ bucks), and a pc fan dont move anywhere near the amount of air that hepa cleaner moves (it replaces the air in a 24x24 foot room 6 times every hour). i didnt realize i was gunna write a book about this, maybe this post is meant more for a suggestion thread or sumthin. :D

ooooohhh............UPS is gunna drop my new case and fans and PSU off at 6pm EST. im all excited now :w00t:
im kinda pissed that i cant find my ASUS bezel sticker <_<
tiger direct has a set of like 25 (i think) stickers for only like 1.99 CAD. in the US its probably cheaper, so you could buy them there if you want hoping it has the fron besel sticker or you can use some of the other stickers instead.

Virtualbody1234
03-25-2004, 12:09 AM
http://www.asus.com.tw/inside/images/pwbyasus.jpg

You can make your own stickers. (If you don&#39;t like this picture then you can find others.)

Resize image... Photo print them onto photo paper and apply a thick glossy clear tape over the printout and cut to size.

Mïcrösöül°V³
03-25-2004, 12:12 AM
thanks VB, ill try that :)

bulio
03-25-2004, 12:20 AM
pretty nice cooler, and I love the stickers part :P