PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Network

Tiffosi2000
03-22-2004, 05:13 PM
Hi,

I need some advice. I ahve two desktop pc's both running win xp pro. I have bought 2 d-link wireless pci cards. Do i also need an access point to connect the pc's|?

If i wanted 2 share in ternet connection can i just use a router instead of an access point?

Thanks

AcID ZeR0
03-22-2004, 05:17 PM
I share my internet with my Laptop and my downstairs PC, All I use is a Wireless USB Network Card in ad-hoc mode.

lynx
03-22-2004, 05:49 PM
You can use wireless cards on their own, although range could be a problem. You would lose out on many of the security features available though.

Most (probably all) wireless routers are access points too. That would also solve network security problems.

Edit: remember that many routers are just that - they need a separate modem with ethernet connection. If you haven't got one shop around. You can get wireless modem/routers which perform both functions in one unit.

AcID ZeR0
03-22-2004, 05:52 PM
Good point lynx.
I forgot to mention that, anybody within a 100 meter radius can tap into your network if you use wireless usb.

Tiffosi2000
03-22-2004, 05:59 PM
Thanks for that.

It does now create another problem though. I have installed both d-link cards on the seperate machines. However when i come to set them up there doesnt appear to be any signal.

When i use the wizard it says they device is disconnected although it is fine in the system..!

lynx
03-22-2004, 06:00 PM
Unless there are some serious hackers around, that shouldn't be too much of a problem, always assuming that without the router there's no internet access, so they can't really steal the bandwidth. :lol:

Edit: referring to network security.

lynx
03-22-2004, 06:06 PM
What model?

I'll see if I can find some info.

Also, make sure they are fairly close so you know you haven't got range problems.

Tiffosi2000
03-22-2004, 06:09 PM
d-link du 520!

its starting to really annoy me. will move the pc nearer and check that

thanks

lynx
03-22-2004, 06:15 PM
DU 520 is a usb adapter not a wireless network card. :blink:

Tiffosi2000
03-22-2004, 06:15 PM
nope. i have brought the p.c downstairs. they are sat right next to each other and it still says 'not connected'!!!!!!!!!!!

Tiffosi2000
03-22-2004, 06:16 PM
shit sorry,

same style cs. its a dwl-510!!!1

lynx
03-22-2004, 06:45 PM
You may need to disable Zero-network management in XP and use the D-Link utility instead. If so this (http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1398) describes how to disable it, but try without first.

Firstly you need to set the cards to AD-HOC mode. You need the configuration utility installed from the cd. Then click on the Conf. Utility icon in the system tray if it is running, or on the desktop or in the start menu to start it.

Click on the Configuration tab, then set the wireless mode to Ad-hoc.

Since you haven't got an Access point to act as a DHCP server you also need to assign IP addresses to the cards, though the manual does not make it clear where this is, so the alternative is to use XP's setup for that part.

You can set this by selecting properties of My Network Connections (right click and select properties). Then select the properties of your network card (right click and select properties again). Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and press the properties button. You can now enter a network address and subnet mask for the card.

The network addresses need to be different for each card.
I suggest you use 192.168.0.2 for the first card and 192.168.0.3 for the second. If you use these addresses you need to enter a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 for each card.

Confirm everything and you should be in a position to start using your cards.

Tiffosi2000
03-23-2004, 12:41 PM
ok thanks for that i will try it. Just to check though, it know highlights the DNS server tab. do i need to input anything in there??????????