PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Get Rid Of Cd Crack?

NSXFAST
03-09-2003, 08:46 PM
I've downloaded The Thing game several times without being able to open and run program. I thought downloading the CD crack would help. Now for some reason my computer will not shut down. I have to tried to uninstall the file but it will not. It says it is protected or the program is running. I know its obvious....I have no clue what i'm doing. Any help would be great.

ooo
03-09-2003, 08:47 PM
try running in msdos and deleting the file... where you dl the crack from kazaa?

you should get game cracks from www.megagames.com

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
03-09-2003, 08:50 PM
go to where the crack is then right-click>cut and paste it into the recycle bin. It should work.
You can also try ending the process in Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+DELETE) if its in there. I had one like that before but I did the above and its gone now.

Also try http://www.cracks.am

myfiles3000
03-09-2003, 08:59 PM
sounds like it might be a trojan -- this happened to me, and i later ended up infected. I'm not a techie, but i think the inability to shut down properly might be a defensive/protective feature of the trojan (?).

Turned out to be a relatively harmless one, but a bugger to track down -- i ended up formatting from scratch (thank god for the data partition). I'd suggest running Tauscan and/or kaspersky for trojans -- norton is relatively poor for trojans. Good luck, hope i'm wrong...

ooo
03-09-2003, 09:00 PM
then it would be smart for him to have a norton anti virus... wouldnt it ... lol :P

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
03-09-2003, 09:04 PM
Yea, good luck with it and share your results. Next time, go to one of the two sites above and if you can't find it, then resort to Kazaa for it. :)

stoi
03-09-2003, 09:06 PM
not realy soul, norton is crap for trojans, i use trojan remover and that has found a lot of trojans in this type of nocd crack proggies that norton totlally missed during download and even whilst i scanned the file individualy once it was downloaded.

and Shinigami, i didnt know you could post liks for crack sites on the forum, i might be wrong and its only the actual crack sig2dat that you cant as youve got a lot more posts than me, but im sure its against the forum rules, if im wrong sorry for mentioning it.

jakert50
03-10-2003, 01:05 AM
ending up with one of these really stinks.... i ended up with one of these and did the following:
(1) located the file that was causing the mess
(2) restarted windows in DOS mode
(3) deleted the file in DOS
(4) restarted Windows and ran a virus check

good luck figuring this out... it's too bad idiots out there have to do stuff like this.... :(

ooo
03-10-2003, 01:07 AM
lets all hope he solves his problem

jakert50
03-10-2003, 01:12 AM
**hoping...**

lol :P

NSXFAST
03-10-2003, 01:20 AM
Thanks for the input....unfortunately I still cannot get rid of the file. I ran the Tauscan and Mcafee to look for a virus or trogan. None were found. I try to cut and paste to the recycle folder with no luck. As far as going into DOS...I wouldn't have a clue what to do. Any more ideas? Thanks.

jakert50
03-10-2003, 01:26 AM
if you want some step by step info for dos, please let me know.... it's really quite simple and i can describe to you exactly how to do it.... just tell me what os (windows 9?) you are using.

NSXFAST
03-10-2003, 02:06 AM
I'm using windows xp. Home edition

myfiles3000
03-10-2003, 09:44 AM
nsx, check out the post about the problem i had, look for the files mentioned. in my case, the trojan had an undetectable 'dropper' file that kept creating the file that was actually infected and detectable. So Norton would only find a problem after the infected file attempted to execute -- but really at this point it's too late, as the original file wasn't detected. like all anti-malware programs *NORTON IS NO GUARANTEE* especially for trojans, there is a lot of complacency and misunderstanding on this point -- if you're DLing executable/zip files from strangers, odds are its just a matter of time before something happens. that's why i've got a partition on my drive now -- only lose system files (easily replaceable), not data files.

http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?=9d...f=8&t=18148&hl= (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?=9d34db51a4f0fff96f7f14f90c8050bb&act=ST&f=8&t=18148&hl=)

Oni
03-11-2003, 06:47 PM
Open note pad ,,,file open,,,right click the file ,,,and delet,,
works for me