PDA

View Full Version : Ther Goes My Bb...........

Dray_04
03-24-2004, 01:31 AM
:huh: well as some of use know.... i recently just got dsl...

yesterday i could connect at 256kbs (and for a very good price too :) ) but last night i rebooted my computer, and to my surprise i could only connect at 64kbs.

I rung my ISP and they said i should still be able to connect at 256kbs.

I rung my modem company (D-Link) and they said everything seemed to be in good order....

I have tried reinstalling the D-Link DSL -200 ADSL USB Modem that i got from my cousin (and he said it didnt come with a CD), So i downloaded the drivers off the D-Link website... installed them, rebooted etc.... blah blah blah

but absolutely everything i try hasnt worked...

what on earth could be the problem...???

:helpsmile: :helpsmile: :helpsmile: :helpsmile:

bulio
03-24-2004, 01:50 AM
have you downloaded any new drivers recently? or changed the config of anything, and where do you get slow speeds? on ftp? p2p? if yes to those two questions then it is probably the ftp server wich is slow, or another user in the p2p case ;)

Virtualbody1234
03-24-2004, 02:12 AM
Yeah, what exactly did you use to see that your speed was 64kbs?

Dray_04
03-24-2004, 03:15 AM
trust me man, its connected at 64kbs...

when you connect to the net, it has a little picture of 2 computers in the task bar, and a lil window pops outta them saying... you are now connected at 64kbs....

i just figured that i need to install a filter in my Digital TV... (SKY Digital, NZ)

every jackpoint needs a filter and i didnt realise that SKY digital was connected into a phone jack!!

ill post back when i buy a filter and see what happens

lynx
03-24-2004, 09:06 AM
Filters are to protect low frequency devices from the dsl signal, not the other way round, so buying a filter won't help.

The speed of your BB connection is determined from the head end, not your end. Assuming that the figure you are looking at is actually the dsl connection speed it is up to your ISP to sort it out, there's nothing you can do to affect it.

Edit: clarity

ck-uk
03-24-2004, 09:52 AM
I think its because its set to isdn mate .theres an option somewhere ,i cant think or find it thou atm.

delphin460
03-24-2004, 11:05 AM
lol i dont get anything saying im connected at any speed and im on adsl

what pppoe are you using to connect , the windows xp connection or a 3rd party

something sounds weird , but try one of those speed test web sites and see what you are realy capable of

gungrave
03-24-2004, 12:27 PM
try rebooting ur pc or reinstalling ur net?

Dray_04
03-24-2004, 02:02 PM
hey crew

I have figured this son of a bitch out!

First of all after attempting to reinstall the drivers over and over again, i figured it had something to do with my ISP,

i rang them and they didnt know shit (wow....how surprising)

When i was just about to throw my modem out the door i thort i would take the whole thing, unplug everything, uninstall every single driver and start again...

...only this time i wondered what would happen if i put the USB cord in a different USB Slot....

...10 minutes l8er i connect at 320kbs.... lol (fucken stupid modem company and ISP company didnt even ask me if i had tried all the USB slots.... i suppose they presumed it was something completely different as i had come to think..... but still, arent they suppose to be the professionals at this kinda shit!!!)

anyhoo now im back and at full force DL stuff at 40kb constant.... (STFU all you ppl in canada and US and UK..... us hobbits here in New Zealand barely have Fibre Optic)

k den,... i am done here :cool2:

Dray_04
03-24-2004, 02:04 PM
oh yer.. i forgot to thank all you guuys for the suggestions....

TA!

:cool2: :P

tesco
03-24-2004, 02:05 PM
they probably didn't say try a different usb slot becuase, well, it doesnt really make any sense why it would work then stop working all of a sudden if you hadnt done anything.

I think using a different USB slot just reinstalls the drivers for the device, but hey, if it works, it works...

edit: have you restarted since you fixed it...

Dray_04
03-24-2004, 02:20 PM
nah i havent restarted....and i dont think i want to lol...

what firewall should i get, now that i have DSL?

i want one that will obviously prevent hackers hacking in, but also allow me to download shit at full speed

kaiweiler
03-24-2004, 03:46 PM
Sygate Personal Firewall is quite good
also a lot of people use Zone Alarm, but I've never used it myself
but from my experience, Sygate is awesome

Virtualbody1234
03-24-2004, 05:09 PM
Does your modem have a LAN type connector on it also?

thewizeard
03-24-2004, 08:52 PM
For the fun of it try this address and do a speed test...

http://www.dslreports.com/stest

Maybe you have one closer to where you live... :rolleyes:

Dray_04
03-24-2004, 10:52 PM
guess wot..

after a restart... i connected at.... yip you guessed it.... 64Kb...

so i am going to try and connect in a different USB slot...

@VB, nah it doesnt.... its a D-Link DSL - 200 ADSL USB Modem

@kai, ok as soon as i get it running smooth again ill download SYGATE

Virtualbody1234
03-24-2004, 10:55 PM
You might consider asking yout ISP to exchange that modem for one that connects via LAN. Much better all around and would let you add a router later on if desired.

Peerzy
03-24-2004, 11:43 PM
yeah i use to have a USB modem and it use to have all kinda of problems dissconnecting and bad speeds.

I changed to ENET and im getting about 10% better speeds and not D/Ced without me wanting it to yet.

delphin460
03-24-2004, 11:47 PM
hmmm, me thinks you might have xp sp1 installed right, there is a bug in sp1 about usb ,

there is a patch that fixes the usb bug , try that b4 screwing around anymore with settings and drivers ect

tesco
03-24-2004, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@24 March 2004 - 17:55
You might consider asking yout ISP to exchange that modem for one that connects via LAN. Much better all around and would let you add a router later on if desired.
I've been talking to him on MSN and he got this modem from a friend (i think thats what he said) either way he didnt get it from his ISP.

He was asking me what modem I thought he should get and I dont really know which companies are good because I got my modem from my ISP. so all i said was that he should get an ethernet one.

you guys got any good companies that he should look for?

Dray_04
03-25-2004, 01:54 AM
maybe its a UBS problem...

VB you have the same board as me.... do you rekon itll be a USB problem? ill try find sum drivers...

ill keep ya posted

tesco
03-25-2004, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by dray_02@24 March 2004 - 20:54
maybe its a UBS problem...

VB you have the same board as me.... do you rekon itll be a USB problem? ill try find sum drivers...

ill keep ya posted
its an nforce chipset right? go to www.nvidia.com and download the lastest nforce drivers, they include ethernet, usb, ide, agp and many other drivers all in one. might fix the usb problem, or go to windowsupdate and make sure u have all updates, especially those relating to usb.

Dray_04
03-25-2004, 02:43 AM
i have downloaded every single driver out there on the internet... jkz....

but seriously i have downloaded the drivers from gigabyte, microsoft, and Nvidia...

i am completely up to date with drivers...

the thing that really annoys me that i was able to connect yesterday at 320kbs.... that was really random.... when i woke up this morning, my modem light was blinking and i wasnt connected.... then i connected and ....64kbs. :angry:

this is so gay, i AM going to buy a new modem and if this problem happens to me again then i am going to ring up my ISP and give them shit until they connect me at maximum speed for $3 a month :P

tesco
03-25-2004, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by dray_02@24 March 2004 - 21:43
i have downloaded every single driver out there on the internet... jkz....

but seriously i have downloaded the drivers from gigabyte, microsoft, and Nvidia...

i am completely up to date with drivers...

the thing that really annoys me that i was able to connect yesterday at 320kbs.... that was really random.... when i woke up this morning, my modem light was blinking and i wasnt connected.... then i connected and ....64kbs. :angry:

this is so gay, i AM going to buy a new modem and if this problem happens to me again then i am going to ring up my ISP and give them shit until they connect me at maximum speed for $3 a month :P
:lol: imagine if they gave you like 1000mbps internet, and it was for $3, just becuase they were scared of you :helpsmile: :sly:

Dray_04
03-25-2004, 03:19 AM
:afro: lol i wish

:argue:

Virtualbody1234
03-25-2004, 03:22 AM
Well at least this time get an ethernet modem to connet to your LAN port.

Dray_04
03-25-2004, 03:43 AM
but i cant afford it... :(

introducing...

The Dray_02 charity fund

If everyone in this forum could send $10 to my bank account (will post it l8er if i get good replys :))

then i could buy a ethernet

wot you guys think?

:smilie4:

tesco
03-25-2004, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by dray_02@24 March 2004 - 22:43
but i cant afford it... :(

introducing...

The Dray_02 charity fund

If everyone in this forum could send $10 to my bank account (will post it l8er if i get good replys :))

then i could buy a ethernet

wot you guys think?

:smilie4:
if everyone on the forum gives u $10 you'd have enough for 500 modems, maybe more...

Dray_04
03-25-2004, 04:34 AM
thats ok i only need 1

haha

what about $1..?

would people honestly deposit $1 into my bank account....?

i would to help some1 out :)

Dray_04
03-25-2004, 06:21 AM
ADSL External Router Ethernet c/w 4 Ports

does this sound good...

its really cheap... i think theres a catch.... theres no brand name

hmmmm (http://pcsale.co.nz/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=480&osCsid=285207dfc04b2e2a3934eda61270748c)

junkyardking
03-25-2004, 09:38 AM
I would get a billion, i dont know if there available in NZ but you can get them in Australia there cheap and reliable.

Also a great place to ask would be http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-threads.cfm?f=82

lynx
03-25-2004, 03:05 PM
It's a pity they don't give a picture. It sounds like the one I've got (which just had ebuyer branding) which is actually made by Origo. No problems once I got the latest firmware.

There's also a single port option here (http://pcsale.co.nz/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_25&products_id=490&osCsid=285207dfc04b2e2a3934eda61270748c) which has the option of usb (useful for management) too. Although it says it is single port you can probably use both USB and ethernet at the same time (but not from the same pc) so it is effectively a two port router should you need a second port occasionally.