PDA

View Full Version : How Do Softwares Track How Long We Have Used Them

gd3110
03-24-2004, 10:48 AM
I wonder :frusty: how do softwares (trials) keep a track of how long or how many times we have used them
I wanna know this for 2 reasons
1) :angry: I hate those trail / demo versions(but generally find a way to get a crack )

2) :angry: I really hate to think that even after uninstalling these softwarez and try to reinstall them they remember for how long I used them.
From privicy prespective I hate to think that even after uninstalling the software(and cleanig the registry) it left somting in my comp that I did not want(hidden file/registry key)
So...

Is there any software that tracks what all a software installed(files,registry keys etc) while instalation and help me truly clean my system when I unstallall a program.Coz what I want is that that after I install a programm it shold not leave any trace on my system ..hence once I re-install the same software it should not have any ways to know I had install it before

delphin460
03-24-2004, 10:54 AM
use an instalation utility to track the installed files ect , then u can remove everything

james_bond_rulez
03-24-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by gd3110@24 March 2004 - 01:48
I wonder :frusty: how do softwares (trials) keep a track of how long or how many times we have used them
I wanna know this for 2 reasons
1) :angry: I hate those trail / demo versions(but generally find a way to get a crack )

2) :angry: I really hate to think that even after uninstalling these softwarez and try to reinstall them they remember for how long I used them.
From privicy prespective I hate to think that even after uninstalling the software(and cleanig the registry) it left somting in my comp that I did not want(hidden file/registry key)
So...

Is there any software that tracks what all a software installed(files,registry keys etc) while instalation and help me truly clean my system when I unstallall a program.Coz what I want is that that after I install a programm it shold not leave any trace on my system ..hence once I re-install the same software it should not have any ways to know I had install it before
you are looking for Norton Clean Sweep ;)

gd3110
03-24-2004, 11:37 AM
Thanks.. could you all suggest some more utill.
like Norton Clean Sweep is one

b4icu
03-24-2004, 12:06 PM
great avatar~!

Storm
03-24-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@24 March 2004 - 12:18
you are looking for Norton Clean Sweep ;)
does that also clean norton shit out of the registry????????

fkdup74
03-24-2004, 03:23 PM
jv16 powertools ;)

gd3110
03-24-2004, 03:45 PM
Thanks FKDUP74 I will try this soft
and yaa b4icu I love this avataar too

any more suggestions

nostalgia
03-24-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by FKDUP74@24 March 2004 - 15:23
jv16 powertools ;)
Great tool but doesn't clean all the registry keys which give away the time you tried a trialversion. Had this with some progs, cleaned the registry with JV and Ace Utilities but still after installing again the nagscreen came up to tell me the trial period expired.
So basically you can use regedit and the searchoption in it. Search the entire registry for keys with the name of the programm and the name of the vendor/maker. Delete them.
Also there could be a hidden .dll which contains the info.

gd3110
03-24-2004, 07:03 PM
well that is exactly what I am trig to look for
Is there a ware that logs waht all files and regis entry were made by a promram so that I can search them and delete the manually if the uninstaller does not do it (like in most Time and Use Ltd software some info will always be left by default)

supersonic
03-24-2004, 09:03 PM
-Some programs use the registery key, which is easy to delete and install them after it. I tried it with JV16 tools and it worked :D , note that you have to find every single key and delete it.
-Some programs MIGHT use windows app log(in windows folder), which stores the information about every and eac# program you have used on the computer, with the path and name. Note: it is your own bl00dy fault that you mess with it. I do not know what happens when you delete it and if the programs really use it.
-Some programs have bult-in timers that will stop working after a certain amount of time after installation.
-Some programs use your sytem timer to tell how long you have been using the prgram, even after you uninstall/reinstall the application. That eplains why sometimes it tells you that you have been using it for 5 days and it's really 3 days (system time is not as accurate u know).
-You can use a program called winable to RENABLE some disabled, or greyed out buttons.
-beaware! that some of the cracks you download actually install trojans and viruses in your system. There is a price (catch I call them) for these free cracks and wares, so be carefull.

NightStalker
03-24-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by supersonic@24 March 2004 - 16:03
(system time is not as accurate u know).

Not if you have a Atomic Time Synchronization Application. :D

supersonic
03-24-2004, 09:50 PM
Totally true, but most ppl don't use it and they do not syncronize from time.nist.gov. The built in system timer is off by 2 sec every reboot.

fkdup74
03-24-2004, 10:18 PM
you can't just tell jv to clean the reg and think its ok
it is best to do a reg comparison, or try a search through the reg finder

bulio
03-24-2004, 11:05 PM
try cleaning the registry with a registry cleaning prog ;)

delphin460
03-24-2004, 11:20 PM
um no just cleaning the reg will not do it , or the whole idea of time trials would be useless

i know there are instalation utilities out there that you install the software with , and track where every part of the program goes and then allows you to remove the lot

just cant think of the names just now but i know they are out there

james_bond_rulez
03-24-2004, 11:46 PM
or if you wanna be a lil bit more extreme use norton ghost to make an image of ur system before you install a program.

then if you want to "uninstall" just restore the original hdd image....

supersonic
03-25-2004, 04:04 AM
Instead, just make a backup of your HD and then reformat your HD (JK) :P

h1
03-25-2004, 04:59 AM
:rolleyes: Lock your computer in a box and ship it to Santa.

peat moss
03-25-2004, 05:26 AM
System mechanic has Safe installer to track changes when you install new programs. But I use a regcleaner but have found it doesn't work for all :(