PDA

View Full Version : Hdd File Size

Cygnuz-Y
03-24-2004, 03:51 PM
My 50 gig HDD says i only have 11 gigs left but when i right click all the folders inside of it and i choose properties it says i have only used 26 gig, so i guees i should have 22 gigs left....

Does someone know how to fix this thing and why it happens...

BTW the last time i did a defrag was like 3 weeks ago, do i need another one so soon?

Thank you!

Ariel_001
03-24-2004, 04:44 PM
It is the way data is stored in you coputer hard drive.

Windows allocates disk space for files in units of one or more sectors; these units are called "clusters" or "allocation units." On any disk, a 1-byte file is allocated 1 cluster of disk space, wasting the unused area of the cluster. A file that is 3.2 clusters large is given 4 clusters.

4play
03-24-2004, 04:54 PM
@Ariel_001 the space allocated to files is shown in propertieds rather then the actual file size.

stuff like your recycle bin, system restore and a few others will take up room as well try turning them off to save space.

defragging does not give you more space it just orders your data. show all the hidden folders as well then try displaying how much data is there.

Ariel_001
03-24-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by 4play@24 March 2004 - 16:54
@Ariel_001 the space allocated to files is shown in propertieds rather then the actual file size.

stuff like your recycle bin, system restore and a few others will take up room as well try turning them off to save space.

defragging does not give you more space it just orders your data. show all the hidden folders as well then try displaying how much data is there.
I forgot to mention that the size that a file is taking up on your computer is shown in windows 2000/XP. If disk space waste is a problem for you then try reduction the cluster size of your hard drive.

http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/filepro.jpg