PDA

View Full Version : Services

4play
03-25-2004, 01:34 AM
how the hell do i remove a service in xp.

I installed mysql in windows and when i unistalled it left the service still in the list. It does not have an option to delete it in services.msc or msconfig.

im guessing its a registry job but have no idea where to look first.

shn
03-25-2004, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by 4play@24 March 2004 - 19:34
how the hell do i remove a service in xp.

I installed mysql in windows and when i unistalled it left the service still in the list. It does not have an option to delete it in services.msc or msconfig.

im guessing its a registry job but have no idea where to look first.
Probably the registry like you say.

But for now I would just disable the service or set it to manual startup. :)

Livy
03-25-2004, 01:38 AM
why not just disable it in services?

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm here may also be a good place to look, look in some of the reg patches etc there, it may give u a clue as to where in the registry the services lie.

4th gen
03-25-2004, 01:41 AM
If the key name isn't too common, you could do a search for it from within RegEdit

4play
03-25-2004, 01:42 AM
it does not exist anymore i unistalled it so it wont start if i tried.

I want it outta there so i can install mysql to a different path. tried installing it again but the service points at the old path so it wont start. :(

why am i trying to install mysql on windows :frusty:

Livy
03-25-2004, 01:44 AM
just do a regedit search for the what the mysql service is called and edit the service entry when it comes up to point to the new directory.

4play
03-25-2004, 01:50 AM
tried editing the reg entries i found in (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\MySQL) unfortunetly it just caused errors everytime i try to view the properties of the service now. so i though i would try to delete it did not work either.

should have backup up before editing the reg as well :helpsmile:

Livy
03-25-2004, 01:52 AM
there may be another entry somewhere

shn
03-25-2004, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by 4play@24 March 2004 - 19:42

why am i trying to install mysql on windows  :frusty:
Nothing wrong with that although a Linux box with MySql would be much better.

Nevertheless, MySql beats the hell out of M$QL. :P

4play
03-25-2004, 01:57 AM
I have mysql already up and running on my linux box but i though i would try it on windows just for a bit of fun.

went through the whole reg and deleted anything with mysql in (bad idea really) a few entries it would not let me touch so im guessing that is whats keeping it there.

screw it php will have to live on its own. :)

bulio
03-25-2004, 02:49 AM
a registry editor or add/remove programs