PDA

View Full Version : (oem Bare Drive)

healimonster
03-10-2003, 01:18 AM
I am shopping for an additional HD, this is what I am thinking about buying.

Maxtor DiamondMaxPlus D740X 6L080J4 80.0GB, 7200RPM - <8ms seek time, 2MB cache buffer, ATA-133/100 internal hard drive, (OEM Bare Drive).

for 80 dollars.

My question is what does (oem bare drive) mean?

If I am installing it as a slave drive would I need to buy case for it or something?

Is there anything else I should know about this model? 80 gig for 80 bucks seems like a good deal.

zapjb
03-10-2003, 01:23 AM
It&#39;s a good deal. Check warr. is it 1 or 3yrs.? Do you need a case? Check your tower. And what about s&h cost?

healimonster
03-10-2003, 01:33 AM
Not sure about shipping and handling or the warranty.

The deal is coming from "next hardware shop” their site doesn’t seem to list such information.

http://www.nexthardwareshop.com/max800gb72ua.html

not too woried about the warenty however, i am sure if it doesnt work i can return it... and if it does work then i will have blind faith that it will last a while. it will be a slave drive with just crap that i down load on it... so if it dies in a year it wont be the end of the world.

accat13
03-10-2003, 01:35 AM
I think it means no software included .You have to go there(manufacturers) web site and download the setup program on a floppy(maxblast I believe) check out the manufacturers site before hand the software makes it easy to set up the drive...

Nobody1234
03-10-2003, 01:39 AM
&#39;oem&#39; means Original Equipment Manufacturer. I just means that it will not have the packaging for retail consumers. It will problably be in a brown cardboard box or something similar.

It&#39;s exactly the same product and you don&#39;t need any case or anything. Just a lower price. And as zapjb said sometimes they change the warranty period for &#39;oem&#39; products.

healimonster
03-10-2003, 01:48 AM
The shipping is ridiculously expensive.

14.95 for their cheapest ups ground.... I added 2 sticks of ram and the shipping was 27 dollars.

What a joke

It is probably 5lbs, which should cost like 8 dollars for ups ground not 27.

Oh well

zapjb
03-10-2003, 02:17 AM
If your in the states try Best Buy, NewEGG, PriceWatch or Circuit City. And for myself warr. is very important.

Schmiggy_JK23
03-10-2003, 10:29 AM
Hmmm, 27 bucks shipping for a hard drive, and two stick of ram? UPS ground? ouch... go here... Price Watch - The best PC part retailer database (http://www.pricewatch.com)

But ya, I will never, ever, buy a hard drive with a one year warranty, just not enough for me. I would make sure you get a drive with at least 3 years. Contact the retailer, or the manufacturer before u purchase.

I got my oem drive on ebay, just sealed in the anti static bag, and even it still has a 3 years warranty from the manufacturer.

As far as setup, depending on what OS you are using, theres a good chance you wont even need any software. XP installs most hard drive alone by itself, no added software needed.

And if its oem, the only thing u may need are screws.

healimonster
03-10-2003, 09:14 PM
If I buy an OEM drive, am I going to have to buy any cables if so which ones.

I pretty sure my computer has cords in it. Would these cords connect to cords that I would need to buy from the drive... or just to the drive directly?

zolaisugly
03-10-2003, 09:25 PM
if you buy a maxtor hd there return policy is very very good they will replace it and ship it for free.....for this service u contact maxtor direct by email they send you a tracking no and then send you the correct packaging to send back you pay by credit card for this but once disk arrives back the credit is retured to you to destroy the slip..... and you have a shiny new hd ready to go

the software is called maxtorblast plus II i have used it install a 60 gig drive as my mother board would only allow 8 gig max it is often called easy bios....alot of read me files help if not sure.. :geek:

zolaisugly
03-10-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by healimonster@10 March 2003 - 22:14
If I buy an OEM drive, am I going to have to buy any cables if so which ones.

I pretty sure my computer has cords in it. Would these cords connect to cords that I would need to buy from the drive... or just to the drive directly?
at the back of your existing hd you should see a cable already this will/should have a spare connector just connect it up..reboot then go to bios and set up hd as a slave make sure you have set jumpers on back of new hd to work as a slave not master...

as long as you connect on same cable you should not have any probs