PDA

View Full Version : Open Source Alternatives

Illuminati
03-25-2004, 08:46 AM
Okay, apparantly my new sig has been getting a lot of attention recently despite only being about two days old - I've been getting PMs from a few people and also there's been a few arguments with others (say no more ;)). As I know it's likely to happen anyway, I'll open the floodgates myself :P

That signature of mine shows open-source alternatives to Microsoft products, naturally sparked by the recent EU case :) As you guys are putting a lot of alternatives down (especially for Minesweeper) - Why don't you guys think of some more? :P
Must replace an aspect of Microsoft, be it part of Windows, Office, etc. There's no point putting down an alternative to Photoshop, as it's Adobe that run that - Other companies may be in another version of the sig :)
Must be free in one sense or another (Fits practically all open-source though due to the GPL Licence)
Must work on all popular platforms - At the mininum, Windows or Linux. If it also works on Mac, good job. Bonus points if it works on more platforms (e.g. OS/2)
Must be easy for a casual user to use - The most obvious way to say this is GUIs. If it's a command, it better have a command language that's verging on retarded ;)

I'll use as many as I can, but in the end I may have to pick only the best - The sig rules apply even for text :)

You guys have been bitching to me about the programs in the signature, now b***dy do it here! :P

TRshady
03-25-2004, 08:51 AM
out look express > Thunder Bird :D

(good idea for a sig by the way :) )

Illuminati
03-25-2004, 08:52 AM
D&#39;oh - Can&#39;t believe I forgot that one, especially as I use it myself >_<

A very worthy addition to the sig if I do say so myself ;)

EDIT: 7th, you added a text limit to the sig system as well??? :blink: It&#39;s getting too long, so for now just keep giving the alternatives and any more important than the ones shown will replace some.

I&#39;ll try to get the load of these in a Lamsey-esque interactive sig when I can :)

shn
03-25-2004, 08:59 AM
How about you mirror SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=216) and put it in your sig. :lol:

*sighs*

Illuminati
03-25-2004, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by shn@25 March 2004 - 09:59
How about you mirror SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=216) and put it in your sig.&nbsp; :lol:

*sighs*
a) Too easy to link, B) which projects are the best alternatives are unknown to me as I only use GAIM from SF (and I&#39;m not going to proclaim myself an expert on what I haven&#39;t seen), and c) Not always the best open-source options - But close :P

SourceForge is a great source of open-source but open-source doesn&#39;t start & finish there - None of the alternatives run so far is run under SourceForge (though honestly that was a co-incidence - I thought there would&#39;ve been one in the sig already :huh:)

zapjb
03-25-2004, 09:57 AM
Open source only? Can&#39;t be freeware only?

Guess you&#39;re familiar with these open source windows apps: http://osswin.sourceforge.net/