PDA

View Full Version : Rookies

cake
03-27-2004, 09:36 PM
i just got into this forum and already i feel out of place. short and sweet, i know in my heart none of you know much of anything about music. no experience, no schooling, no travels to other cultures to learn about styles and tequniques. you complain about modern music with no expertise. unfortunately great music creations are over. the last era of quality was maybe the 90's. it's over now, never to return. you support the mainstream crap the industry calls music and you believe them. you are teeny bopping, computer geek , college / society failures with too much opinion, and to make matters worse you actually believe youselves. pitiful!! stick to your videos and glamour, you want real music worthy of war? look to the past, the future is shallow and hopeless.

cake

blitz
03-27-2004, 11:13 PM
Haha, very well said. Not all of us support the mainstream crap "music" though. Some of us like the older music more as well....BUT, that doesn't mean that *all* current mainstream music is bad. Alot of it is, but not all of it.

Afronaut
03-27-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by cake@27 March 2004 - 23:36
i just got into this forum and already i feel out of place. short and sweet, i know in my heart none of you know much of anything about music. no experience, no schooling, no travels to other cultures to learn about styles and tequniques. you complain about modern music with no expertise. unfortunately great music creations are over. the last era of quality was maybe the 90's. it's over now, never to return. you support the mainstream crap the industry calls music and you believe them. you are teeny bopping, computer geek , college / society failures with too much opinion, and to make matters worse you actually believe youselves. pitiful!! stick to your videos and glamour, you want real music worthy of war? look to the past, the future is shallow and hopeless.

cake
Well, not bad for a first post. he he

You might want to take wee bit of a reality check tho,
not all of us like "Mainstream" music as you so adequately put.

Some of us actually, play instruments, travel, take music a bit seriously, etc...

But Warm Welcome to You nevertheless.

:)

Adster
03-28-2004, 12:58 AM
sounds like a angry soulseek forum person

3RA1N1AC
03-28-2004, 06:19 AM
this just in: music snob heartbroken after discovering that there are just as many shitty independent/underground acts as there are shitty mainstream acts, jumps off of a tall building and creates abstract art all over the sidewalk.

edit: and why do trolls who act like everybody else's taste in music sucks almost always end up having bad taste, themselves? or else they just neglect to list anything they like, so people can't say "well, you don't have any room to talk. you like [shitty bands x, y, and z]."

Twigboy
03-28-2004, 06:45 AM
I can kinda see where Cakes coming from,but I wouldn't say all the stuff since the 90's has been crap.

This does seem to be a trend though.
Example(Some people will say the group $3.50 (fictional I think) is the bomb even though all their albums except their debut album blows. :ghostface:

I been finding some good tunes,it's sort of like rummage sale hunting.
There's alot of crap out there,but you never know when you'll find a hidden gem if you look in the right places. :o

I have found newer bands that have been influenced by old bands like Pink Floyd,Genesis,Yes ect.

I'm not much on the radio scence (lots of garbage there),rather grab a 12 pack and listen to Netscape Radio or something.
Discovered alot of good bands that way. B)

talkpretty
03-28-2004, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Twigboy@28 March 2004 - 06:45
I can kinda see where Cakes coming from,but I wouldn't say all the stuff since the 90's has been crap.

Example(Some people will say the group $3.50 (fictional I think) is the bomb even though all their albums except their debut album blows. :ghostface:

I been finding some good tunes,it's sort of  like rummage sale hunting.
There's alot of crap out there,but you never know when you'll find a hidden gem if you look in the right places. :o

I have found newer bands that have been influenced by old bands like Pink Floyd,Genesis,Yes ect.

I'm not much on the radio scence (lots of garbage there),rather grab a 12 pack and listen to Netscape Radio or something.
:cry1: :cry1:
Well, Cake DID start a conversation. Yeah I agree w/ Twigboy and others, there is crap out there, it is like a rummage sale. So it feels good when we do find a jewel. I think that is one of the reasons we're here - to share the gems. Houston Tx radio is one of the most suck ass air waves in the country. So, I go to other sources, internet and others.
As I'm writing this, I'm listening to Rammstein on MusicMatch radio - Rammstein- can you believe it! I'm an "older" person - so my music history goes waaaayyy back. I think as you get older, you will appreciate other cultures in music. I lovel, salsa, mambo, jazz, bangra (indian), middle eastern, bossa nova, etc. in addition to quite a bit of new stuff -
So Cake - keeping seeking!

Rip The Jacker
03-28-2004, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by cake@27 March 2004 - 13:36
you are teeny bopping, computer geek , college / society failures with too much opinion, and to make matters worse you actually believe youselves. pitiful!!
Good evening to you too. :)

Adster
03-28-2004, 09:35 AM
OK Cake hm how about you link us to where we all said we love teen pop mainstream :)

Mr. Peabody
03-28-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Twigboy@28 March 2004 - 06:45

I been finding some good tunes,it's sort of like rummage sale hunting.

Hey Twigboy thanks for your 2cent let me ad 48 that'll give you 50 cent.
You can add that to your $3.50 and it will give $4.00.
$4.00 doesn't add up to shit now adays. :lol:

Mr. Peabody
03-28-2004, 10:40 AM
Nothing wrong with cheap entertainment,gotta keep amused somehow.

cake
03-28-2004, 05:15 PM
i know there is actually some art in this day and age worthy of praise, however...i am tired of idiots resolving to heated conversation about "the best drummer or guitarist"when their respect and admiration is sacrificed for tommy lee or eddy van ignorant! wtf?? our short time in exsistance has produced for better than that, and worse yet, to even think of music as a competition or a proving grounds takes away from the bliss and inner peace one can enjoy when listening to quality music. want competition? pick a sport and run with it.

4th gen
03-28-2004, 05:22 PM
Hope you enjoy your stay :)

orion5k
03-28-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by cake@27 March 2004 - 21:36

cake
I'd like Cake to describe to us in great lenght his awsome musical experience and his great understanding of all music before he accuses everybody of being "teenie bopping computer geeks". If you're going to make such a sweeping generalization about a massive sum of participants on a music board, at least back yourself up by telling us why you're such an awsome dictator of modern opinion.

If you think that art is dead and can't see any of it because of mainstream music, then you must be blind.

Arm
03-28-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by cake@27 March 2004 - 16:36

cake
:music1: We forumers here love to embrace the old and new music alike here(well, some of us). :01: I see you are suffering from having an asshole in the middle of your forehead though. :blink: Might want to get that looked at. :unsure:

And what the fuck do you listen to? It's either going to be these 3 things I bet:

1) Radiohead
2) Some shit ive never heard of
3) Classic rock like Led Zeppelin and that sorta thing.

;) So, whats it? Or are you just being a troll?

cake
03-29-2004, 02:41 AM
gentelmen please, my intent here is to state a few facts, express a bit of opinion and top with a dollop of pessimistic satire. i feel the undying need to explain a bit more. my sincere love of music is of the utmost. i was hoping not to feel so alone in my thinking. i feel betrayed by the industry today. highlighting capital rather than talent. my peers and well respected proffessional musicians are paupers. yet the culture continues to glamourize pure dribble as quality listening. when i say "you"i am referring to society. forgive me my fellow brethren music enthusiasts. perhaps i was too deliberate in my initial post. i went to the university of hartford hart school of music after having decided to develop a natural gift, which has become a curse. it has become intolerable to listen to much of anything on the radio and even worse after having seen pure genius in the school house being passed over for synthetic, shallow "music" by "you". my appologies kl forum.

respectfully cake

Arm
03-29-2004, 03:22 AM
:huh: And what might be listening to that makes him much a music snob?

Adster
03-29-2004, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by Arm@29 March 2004 - 13:22
:huh: And what might be listening to that makes him much a music snob?
/me thinks

3RA1N1AC
03-29-2004, 03:28 AM
ah-ha. art school. no wonder you're bitter toward popular culture. you know, art and music would get along just fine if all of the academic theory and approval of this style or that style were washed away tomorrow.

i mean, is this about style or technique? if it's about style, we all know that academics initially reject any style that's invented by lowly uneducated types. but they eventually get around to figuring out that there's more to it than just some dirty peasant mindlessly clanging away or pressing a couple of buttons.

if it's about technique, well, what do you expect people to do? refrain from creating, just because they're not technically uber-proficient?

Chewie
03-30-2004, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Celerystalksme@29 March 2004 - 13:08
...im an honoury student at a conservatorium...

...someone who's spose to of gone to...

...for example *your an ass who knows shit all about music* :)
Your argument would carry so much more weight if you'd slow down a little and proof read, you know.

lee551
03-30-2004, 02:01 AM
cake, if you're so musically enlightened, give us a tidbit of your favorite artists/bands....

you're coming off as very arrogant saying that you are almost positive you have better musical taste/experience, whatever, than all of us.

so again. pleze list some of your favorite artists/bands. B)

Sid Hartha
03-30-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by cake@27 March 2004 - 21:36

cake
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I agree w/ your comments about this forum, but not about music in general.

Besides... there are far, far better music forums out there.

So why bother picking on these guys? They like it in here.

jetje
03-31-2004, 07:13 AM
What is mainstream music...... ;)

i was around in the 70's when the punk music came, it was underground and hardly anyone liked it. It was in the caverns of the land, it was music, culture, political.. I saw the stranglers perform in front of 70 people, then it got big, the Stranglers famous, should i stop loving it... i saw it grow... well should i've stopped liking it? Mainstream, what's mainstream... i saw U2 perform for hardly 200 people it was a fresh new young band with a own sound... then they grow big, should i stop loving their music wich i fell for in the beginning?

There are not much musicians that don't care about their music. Most don't make it for the money (only), they make it to be heared and because they love it. What's the use of making the best and most beautifull music if you don't have an audience. Every musician wants audience... if that audience love it too, you have a big chance there will come more and more and before you know it you're big... main.... eehm stream. Even if it's not the regular music, if the audiences get big it will be played on the radio. Does that make it mainstream music...
I gues there is no good definition for this. I love discovering new bands new sounds, that's what i love about something as Soulseek, but i rather decide myself what kind of music i like and love, regardless if it's main or stream music..
Who cares, only thing that cares towards music that it has some kind of emotion, it somehow touches you... Then you can enjoy it.. that's the only thing that counts in music.. it touches you...

Above is written with the exception of the britneys, kylies of this world :lol:

fkdup74
03-31-2004, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by jetje@30 March 2004 - 23:13
What is mainstream music...... ;)

.....but i rather decide myself what kind of music i like and love, regardless if it's main or stream music..
Who cares, only thing that cares towards music that it has some kind of emotion, it somehow touches you... Then you can enjoy it.. that's the only thing that counts in music.. it touches you...
yes, agreed (with all of it, but had to shorten it some, hope you dont mind jet) :P

Randomblonde
03-31-2004, 09:24 AM
I'm here because I like music. No need to take out your insecurities on me, honey. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

jetje
03-31-2004, 06:40 PM
i moved some ehm... angry and spam posts out... cause why can;'t we have a debate on mainstream and the meaning of terms and who decides what's good music...
Well i let everything in this one that was debateble or on topic the other stuff is in some kind of trash post..
I agree that Cake settled in with a firm statement, but believe me if your at work and want to have a good debate that's the way to start, proof him otherwise but please, use arguments :P I know (at least i hope) we can have musci debates in here...

guitar if you dont like what i done ghere just merge the posts together B)