PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Me...

Autumn Fox
03-28-2004, 12:56 AM
...an anime.

After some time used to snoop around the Net to find an Anime that'll interest me and downloading samples i seem to run out of anything interesting. Could you guys recommend me a good anime series ? Just give me a title and what's it about. Give all titles because i might have not found all of even thoes well known. Thanks in advance.

ilw
03-28-2004, 01:06 AM
could you post a few that you liked, then everyone knows what sort of thing you're looking for and if theres someone with similar taste...

If you just want some suggestions then there have been quite a few topics about favourite animes, if you just put anime into the search thing and set it to search the last 60 days i'm sure you'll find a couple of topics about it. They probably don't have descriptions, but you can use http://www.anidb.net or numerous other sites to get plots and reviews.

Autumn Fox
03-28-2004, 02:05 AM
Thoes which i liked ? CowBoy BeBop, Arjuna, Slayers, Gigi ^_^ D.N.Angel, Burn Up W! (i've seen only the 4th part and can't get any more :( ), Full Metal Panic, Noir, most hentai will do :blush" lol , Macross, Iria, all futuristic are welcome, also cyber punk, fantasy. It'd be very nice of you if you were to give me titles of such animes that have similar drawing technics as thoes which i mentioned unless the movie/serie is of good quality in the plot.

BTW. Thanks for the link.

Manny Roscoe
03-28-2004, 08:14 AM
Ever seen Neon Genesis Evangelion?

Its a really, really, really, really, really great anime series IMO.

Its 26 episodes and 2 movies.

Other great animes are Hellsing, Trigun, Golden Boy, Naruto, Last Exile, Serial Experiments Lain, Great Teacher Onizuka (GTO), FLCL, Berserk, and...well...I could go on and on, but thats all that comes to mind when I think of great animes.

If you havent seen any of the animes I mentioned, I STRONGLY reccomend you check them out ASAP!

jimmyfiend
03-28-2004, 02:53 PM
Well for good anime, you cant go wrong with Ghost In the Shell, futuristic movie about a world with enhanced super soldiers etc, pretty cool, there is a series as well but i dont much care for it. Check out ninja scroll and vampire Hunter D both really good. Most people rate Akira but personally i was bored all the way through it it just sucked, i'm sorry i know people love it but thats just my personal opinion, you might like it, maybe check it out. Hellsing really is excellent its about a vampire who works for the Van Hellsing group hunting vamires. Also Read Or Die is excellent, there is also a series, but check out the 3 part original, its very cool.

Manny Roscoe
03-28-2004, 09:15 PM
Read or Die the Series comes out in a limited edition box set this summer.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Box Set also comes out this summer along with Ghost in the Shell: Innoncence out in theaters this summer.

Autumn Fox
03-28-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Manny Roscoe@28 March 2004 - 08:14
Ever seen Neon Genesis Evangelion?

Its a really, really, really, really, really great anime series IMO.

Its 26 episodes and 2 movies.
(...)
Yeah, i've seen it. Didn't understand the movie (End of Eva) fully, though. ^_^

BTW. About Ghost in the Shell; any other movies/series like that ?

Thanks for all your advices :)

Manny Roscoe
03-28-2004, 11:25 PM
I dont know that many animes that are like GITS, but, a similar anime would have to be Armitage III-Poly Matrix, Dual Matrix, and the OVAs.

About Ghost in the Shell: JUST IN CASE YOU DIDNT KNOW....

A sequel for the film came out early this month in Japan, entitled "Ghost in the Shell: Innocence".

Here is the offical site for it: http://www.innocence-movie.jp/index1.html
Its in Japanese, though....if you need help finding the trailer for it, let me know; there is over 4 or 5 trailers for it.
It will be released in US theaters around this summer, distirbuted by Universal's Dreamworks; it is unknown who the english voice cast will be at the moment.

Ghost in the Shell-Stand Alone Complex:

GITS-SAC is a TV series of the Ghost in the Shell film. I've havent seen the series yet, so I dont know if this series takes place before the film, or whenever the story takes place.
It is comprised of 26 episodes. The boxset for the anime comes out at the end of June here in the US, as the Japanese boxset has been out for a while.
Here is what the Japanese Boxset and DVD Covers look like:
http://www.felixmcli.org/ghost.html
Its a safe bet that the US boxset will look like that, as well as the DVD Covers.
Cartoon Network's "Adult Swim" will air all 26 episodes of SAC in October, but, its more than likely that it will be heavily edited.
The boxset will probably be close to 100 bucks.
Here is a review of the series:http://www.animeacademy.com/library/gitssac/gitssac.html
Finally, here is the offical US site of GITS-SAC:
http://www.ghostintheshell.tv/index.php
I'd advise for you to check out the trailer....its cool as hell.

And about Evangelion....the only thing that really confused me is when Rei/Lillth is falling apart and Eva-01 bursts through her left eye and does "something" to reverse the Human Instrumentality Project....anyways I love and own the film, but the film "Death and Rebirth" (which was the first Eva movie) was a real ripoff, since its basically a 60 minute edit of episodes 1-24, and the Rebirth part was the first 30 minutes of the End of Evangelion. So, if you already have the EoE, dont even bother purchasing Death and Rebirth, unless, you're a diehard Eva Fan like me.
The live action Evangelion movie is said to probably be released next year; WETA, who worked on the Lord of the Rings' special effects are working on the film, and Anno, the man who created Eva, approved of the script, so I guess thats good news....

thisiswhoweare
03-28-2004, 11:52 PM
the concept art of the evas look amazing, but the art for the pilots really suck.... eughh, its the only thing which im worried for it at the momemt.

Manny Roscoe
03-28-2004, 11:57 PM
Yeah....plus the fact that they changed "Rei" to "Ray", gave her black hair, and made her smile alot...Rei rarely smiles...so...Im worried about that. Plus, Asuka looks like a middle aged woman instead of a 14 year old and they changed her name, Misato doesnt look like herself, her name is changed as well, and the Tokyo-3 doesnt look the same...if it is even Tokyo-3....sometimes I have my doubts about the project....makes me wish they make another series of Eva instead of a live action movie.....

ilw
03-29-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Manny Roscoe@28 March 2004 - 07:14
Other great animes are Hellsing, Trigun, Golden Boy, Naruto, Last Exile, Serial Experiments Lain, Great Teacher Onizuka (GTO), FLCL, Berserk, and...well...I could go on and on, but thats all that comes to mind when I think of great animes.

If you havent seen any of the animes I mentioned, I STRONGLY reccomend you check them out ASAP!
i can only agree... ^_^

Personally i'm watching Hikaru no Go at the moment (getting the entire series from boxtorrents) and i've been totally sucked in, its only a matter of time before my willpower breaks and i try to learn the frigging game. Basically its all about an asian board game called Go, you don't need to understand the game to watch the anime of course.
http://anidb.ath.cx/pics/anime/872.jpg

Shindou Hikaru, a 6th grader, finds an old go table in the attic of his grandfather`s house. He sees some blood stains on the go table, and tries to wipe it off... when a ghost dressed in Heian period clothes pops out, and takes over his body.

The ghost happens to be Fujiwara no Sai, a member of the court during the Heian period. Sai was one of the two men who was assigned as the go tutor to the emperor. The other tutor was envious of Sai, and challenged him to a go match -- whoever wins gets to stay as the court`s go master. Sai`s opponent cheats during the match, and before Sai could say anything about it, the opponent accused Sai of cheating. Sai was banished from the court, and because of regret and anger, he committed suicide. But as with all unrepented souls, Sai was unable to leave the material world... until he is able to master go, and get one step closer to "kami no itte," or god`s hand.
Trust me its better than it sounds and it does totally suck you in. whole series is 75 episodes http://anidb.ath.cx/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=84

Also Read or Die TV series is worth a look, someone mentioned it but kinda dismissed it when compared to the OVA, but personally i like them both, imo the tv series is slicker and they're both very watchable. OVA =3 episodes, tv is 24 so far http://anidb.ath.cx/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=105
http://anidb.ath.cx/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=894

Banner of the stars (Seikai no Senki) is on my to see list, it gets very good reviews
http://anidb.ath.cx/pics/anime/757.jpg

In the far future when humankind advanced to whole area of galactic system, the world consisted on the nations of many stars. The most powerful nation in them was "Humankind empire by Ahv". Ahv got the body which was the most suitable for the life in the outer space by the genetic operation. However, the war which would continue long time started by the surprise attack of the army of "Humankind integration community" to have tried to recover inferiority.
13 episodes http://anidb.ath.cx/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=4

Manny Roscoe
03-29-2004, 02:56 AM
Ugh...I've heard many good things about Banner of the Stars also, but when I finally saw it on Tech TV's "Anime Unleashed", it sucked hard. I mean, the characters are annoying, the story moves at a slow pace, and the music sucks. Over all, it has a strong Star Trek feel to it....its a space opera. I dont like Star Trek...so...

Hikaru no Go....I've heard many good things about this one....have to check it out soon...

Gungrave is another great anime that is coming out in the US soon.
Other great animes are: His and Her Circumstances and whatever else GAINAX Studios comes out with.....especially the new anime they're working on and their anniversary anime special, which includes characters from every GAINAX anime made....

thisiswhoweare
03-29-2004, 07:27 AM
juuni kokki

silentbob
03-29-2004, 08:29 AM
project a-ko

KazaaBoy
03-31-2004, 02:44 AM
Princess Mononoke
Blood - The Last Vampire
Ninja Scroll
Ah! My Goddess

cockboy
03-31-2004, 02:28 PM
How about Serial Experaments Lain? it's a bit mad, but is a good show none the less.
I would also recommend Ghost in the shell the movie, and the 26 part series, Ghost in the shell Stand Alone Complex.
If you check the anime section of the forum, you will find quick links for nearly all of the episodes, I am sharing the last Four, 23>26. :D
Akira is good as well, try it for yourself, should be able to get loads of users to download from.
D2D

Manny Roscoe
03-31-2004, 08:39 PM
Lain is awesome.

Too bad many people will be confused by it. Plus its too short.