PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia Partners Hiss At Cost Of Pci Express Bridge

adamp2p
03-28-2004, 11:20 PM
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15007 :

It's gonna costa fortune (US$5)

By Fuad Abazovic: Sunday 28 March 2004, 18:36

TAIWANESE FRIENDS of Nvidia are up in arms about its small translator chip, part of its PCI Express HIS (High Speed Interconnect) shop frontage, but this time it's not the technology that's exercising their possibly legitimate moaning mechanisms.
Even while ATI is throwing mud at Nvidia as it is supposed to have a native PCI solution bridged inside the chip, Nvidia partners don't care a damn about this. They have different concerns.

"Whether it's a bridge solution or a native solution", they told the INQUIRER, "We don't care". What's exercising them is that the bridge chip will cost them five more US dollars.

No matter what ATI does inside of its PCI Express chip it won't add any additional costs to its RV380, RV370 cards since you will still have to buy only one chip while Nvidia partners have to get two of them, the GPU itself and the PCI Express bridge HIS chip.

Five dollar means a lot to Taiwanese companies as they are very concerned about cutting the production costs. Margins are getting smaller and smaller all the time since there is a lot of competition in the graphic card business.

What's still to be seen is whether Nvidia's bridge solution for PCI Express is a good approach or not as Nvidia claims that its wondrous HIS chip won't cause any slowdowns of the card.

May seems to be a good time for this to blossom, dearie me. µ

bigdawgfoxx
03-28-2004, 11:56 PM
Its gona cost a fortune? 5 bucks? What...?

DWk
03-29-2004, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by adamp2p@28 March 2004 - 16:20
Five dollar means a lot to Taiwanese companies as they are very concerned about cutting the production costs. Margins are getting smaller and smaller all the time since there is a lot of competition in the graphic card business.
;)

Mïcrösöül°V³
03-29-2004, 12:35 AM
maybe we should get a collection plate together for the taiwanese :lol:

bigdawgfoxx
03-29-2004, 01:03 AM
Haha...well they can just raise the price of the card 5 bux...no biggy haha

AcID ZeR0
03-29-2004, 01:10 AM
Meh.. either it's confussing with all the new products lined up or I'm just a dumb ass. When PCI-Express comes out how long before my current system becomes an expensive and heavy paper weight?
I mean will the next gen of GFX cards run on AGP8X?

bigdawgfoxx
03-29-2004, 01:22 AM
I think the new cards will have a 8XAGP form and PCI-E form.

AcID ZeR0
03-29-2004, 01:26 AM
Oh good, I'll purchase a new video card when the new batch comes out. I'm going to try and make my current rig last about two years.
Darn I built it at the wrong time though.

bigdawgfoxx
03-29-2004, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by AcID ZeR0@28 March 2004 - 19:26
Oh good, I'll purchase a new video card when the new batch comes out. I'm going to try and make my current rig last about two years.
Darn I built it at the wrong time though.
No you didnt. Your rig will be really nice for a while. Just like mine :)

Mïcrösöül°V³
03-29-2004, 01:49 AM
what about my collection plate idea? :P

adamp2p
03-29-2004, 01:53 AM
Keep in mind that it will cost the manufacturers $5.00. That means that they will have to raise the price of the card by maybe twice that. When you think about it that raises the overall price of the card considerably in an already expensive market.

atiVidia
03-29-2004, 02:40 AM
well then if the cards need a bridge, then arent they still running at AGP speeds?

this means that it prolly appeals to the masses more cuz most of us normal ppl still have AGP <_<

damn, ati&#39;s gonna have to make 2 diff. v. of each gpu or not help out the AGPers at all... ati&#39;s startin to suck balls again <_<

3RA1N1AC
03-29-2004, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by adamp2p@28 March 2004 - 17:53
Keep in mind that it will cost the manufacturers &#036;5.00. That means that they will have to raise the price of the card by maybe twice that. When you think about it that raises the overall price of the card considerably in an already expensive market.
exactly what i was thinking. it&#39;ll cost the manufacturers five bucks... it&#39;ll cost the customer like an extra twenty or thirty by the time it reaches his house.

&#39;course, i wouldn&#39;t buy &#036;300-&#036;400 graphics card in any case. for what it would cost just to make halo or doom 3 go a little faster on the PC... you could buy a console and four or five games, or some other equally cool gear. i like PC games and appreciate a good card, but the price of high end gaming cards is a pretty rotten value considering how few truly good PC games are released per year.

Mïcrösöül°V³
03-29-2004, 02:57 AM
collection plate? :huh:

Dray_04
03-30-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Mïcrösöül°V³@29 March 2004 - 14:57
collection plate? :huh:
u no.... :huh:

to put money on....

. :huh: ....to give to the taiwainese??

yes? no?

oh well you&#39;l get it one day

RGX
03-30-2004, 03:29 PM
GFX cards still arn&#39;t fully utilizing AGP 8 yet so I wouldnt be worried, the only real advantage is that information can be carried down at the same time as carried up if you see what I mean. I have read of motherboards supporting AGP and PCI express so you may be able to upgrade your board and still use your AGP card :).