PDA

View Full Version : Hold On Here...

adamp2p
03-30-2004, 11:19 PM
I am stuck at this stage:

Image Resized
[img]http://www.techbox.org/imagebin/byo-image/img10.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'> ('http://www.techbox.org/imagebin/byo-image/img10.jpg')

Does it clip on?

Help! :blink:

tesco
03-30-2004, 11:25 PM
yes it does clip on. you see the clip on this heatsink?

http://filesharingtalk.com/sigs/hfgjhfghd.jpg

ok so you put on end of the clip (usually the bottom one which doesnt have a spot for teh screwdriver) on first then slide it in and then use a screw driver to clamp down teh other end and put it onto the socket clip.

its pretty simple, have u got the stuff yet? the cpu will come with a manual with instructions on how to attach the heatsync.

adamp2p
03-30-2004, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@30 March 2004 - 15:25

ok so you put on end of the clip (usually the bottom one which doesnt have a spot for teh screwdriver) on first then slide it in and then use a screw driver to clamp down teh other end and put it onto the socket clip.

its pretty simple, have u got the stuff yet? the cpu will come with a manual with instructions on how to attach the heatsync.
OK, thanks, yes but the manual says NOT to put pressure on the chip, which is impossible to do if you want to get it on right.

I really appreciate you help.

:)

tesco
03-30-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by adamp2p+30 March 2004 - 18:27--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (adamp2p &#064; 30 March 2004 - 18:27)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@30 March 2004 - 15:25

OK, thanks, yes but the manual says NOT to put pressure on the chip, which is impossible to do if you want to get it on right.

I really appreciate you help.

:) [/b][/quote]
well they mean not to put it on an angle and give pressure, it has to be sitting straight. lots of pressure goes onto the socket because of those little round spacers they put in. the pressure is applied to them and they quish down to put pressure on the socket and bring the heatsync to core height.

which is why i said to slide it on sorta, u gotta move it just mms above the cpu and get the first clip oin then push teh processor down flat and then u can do the clip.

james_bond_rulez
03-30-2004, 11:29 PM
ya it&#39;s a bitch to install that

dont listen to that dont put pressure on the chip shit, cuz it&#39;s bs.

When I installed mine I had to use a flat-head screwdriver to bend the clip so wide and i had to press down so hard in order for the clip to snap in

<_<

intel processors were much easier...

clocker
03-30-2004, 11:37 PM
Adam,

Every heatsink will require different amounts of pressure to install.
I have found the stock AMD sinks to be pretty painless ( yours doesn&#39;t appear to be one) and others to be scarily difficult.

For this reason alone I think it&#39;s better to install the HSF with the mobo out of the case, laying flat on a surface you can exert some pressure ( if necessary) on.

AcID ZeR0
03-31-2004, 12:05 AM
Yea it&#39;s a pain to place. And the green manual AMD supply has crap insructions anyway.

Virtualbody1234
03-31-2004, 12:12 AM
Be sure that the heatsink is facing the right direction. There is a ridge on one edge that needs to match the base.

http://www.dansdata.com/images/coolers/rebate320.jpg

Keep the heatsink flat on the CPU and then press downwards on the clip with a screwdriver until it clips on. Be careful not to let the screwdriver slip.

zapjb
03-31-2004, 12:56 AM
The other instructions here I disagree with.

But I agree with VB&#39;s instructions. With the added comment that I had to bend the clip outwards & down at the same time with a regular screw driver to get the clip to fit.

Edit: And noway, nohow would I attempt this out of the case. I needed the stability of the mobo mounted in the case.

Mr. Elmo
03-31-2004, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by zapjb@31 March 2004 - 00:56
I had to bend the clip outwards & down at the same time with a regular screw driver to get the clip to fit.

Edit: And noway, nohow would I attempt this out of the case. I needed the stability of the mobo mounted in the case.
than why do u disagree w/ the other instruction...thats what they said...

tesco
03-31-2004, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by zapjb@30 March 2004 - 19:56
The other instructions here I disagree with.

But I agree with VB&#39;s instructions. With the added comment that I had to bend the clip outwards & down at the same time with a regular screw driver to get the clip to fit.

well i dont really agree with that...

while it may be easier to install while its in teh case, you could risk cracking ur board. the pressure of pushing down on the socket and clip could be enough to make teh board flex a it may even end up breaking&#092;cracking.

bigdawgfoxx
03-31-2004, 02:08 AM
I had to push mine pretty hard to get it on my 2500XP. :)

Chewie
03-31-2004, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by zapjb@31 March 2004 - 00:56
Rubbish. You&#39;re far safer doing it on a flat surface rather than on 9 standoffs.

james_bond_rulez
03-31-2004, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Chewie UK+30 March 2004 - 21:36--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chewie UK @ 30 March 2004 - 21:36)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-zapjb@31 March 2004 - 00:56
Rubbish. You&#39;re far safer doing it on a flat surface rather than on 9 standoffs. [/b][/quote]
agreed, you risk damaging the mobo if you do it with only 9 stands, the pressure points can&#39;t take taht much pressure

lay the mobo and a desk flat and do the hs mounting