PDA

View Full Version : What The Hell?

adamp2p
03-31-2004, 02:42 AM
I have been stuck at this stage now for quite a while. Those little teeny things! Where exactly do you connect them on the mobo? The manual does not help! Somebody please help me.

1. Power SW
2. Reset SW
HDD LED?

Help :(

tesco
03-31-2004, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by adamp2p@30 March 2004 - 21:42
I have been stuck at this stage now for quite a while. Those little teeny things! Where exactly do you connect them on the mobo? The manual does not help! Somebody please help me.

1. Power SW
2. Reset SW
HDD LED?

Help :(
in the manual it will show a diagram with names for each set of pins (usually a set is 2). then you find the plug in ur case with the same name and plug it onto the pins...

adamp2p
03-31-2004, 02:49 AM
Okay, I got it on but then it went BEEP BEEP BEEP. I will keep playing...

THX

tesco
03-31-2004, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by adamp2p@30 March 2004 - 21:49
Okay, I got it on but then it went BEEP BEEP BEEP. I will keep playing...

THX
usually it beeps because there is a problem...

one beep is normal, one beep and then after a while another beep is also normal. but repeated beeping isnt normal... figure out the pattern in the beeping and post it so well tell you whats wrong.

bigdawgfoxx
03-31-2004, 02:58 AM
Try reseting the CMOS, that worked for me. I had to play with it for a while to get everything up.

adamp2p
03-31-2004, 03:19 AM
Okay, now I get to BIOS and its not detecting the hard drive, I told it to auto detect, I get nothing.

Any suggestions?

THX

Virtualbody1234
03-31-2004, 03:27 AM
Check the jumpers on the hard drive. Is it set to Master?

Is the power connector for the drive connected?

What model drive is it?

tesco
03-31-2004, 03:30 AM
u plug the ide cable into the right port? and is the ide cable good? make sure tehre are no rips in it..

adamp2p
03-31-2004, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@30 March 2004 - 19:27

What model drive is it?
Western Digital set as MASTER 60 gb just checked it in the enclosure, works fine

How do you clear CMOS?

THX :)

tesco
03-31-2004, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by adamp2p+30 March 2004 - 22:50--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (adamp2p @ 30 March 2004 - 22:50)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Virtualbody1234@30 March 2004 - 19:27

What model drive is it?
Western Digital set as slave 60 gb just checked it in the enclosure, works fine

How do you clear CMOS?

THX :) [/b][/quote]
It should be set to master, and should be plugged into the end of the primary ide cable. Then you go into the BIOS and select Autodetect and see if it recognizes.

To clear CMOS their is a jumper which u set to cover a different two pins than the ones it is covering now (ie was covering pins 1 and 2, now covering 2 and 3). make sure the power cord is unplugged first, then switch the pins for about 5 seconds, then put the jumper back. You can find out what jumper in your manual, which should also give more detailed instructions than mine...

adamp2p
03-31-2004, 04:01 AM
I meant master&#33;

Its set as master&#33;
Still nothing., the drive is hot is on, but nothing...

help

tesco
03-31-2004, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by adamp2p@30 March 2004 - 23:01
I meant master&#33;

Its set as master&#33;
Still nothing., the drive is hot is on, but nothing...

help
what about other drives, such as optical drivers, are they also not being detected? or is it just the hard drive?

Virtualbody1234
03-31-2004, 04:08 AM
Western Digital had a single drive setting.

If the drive is the only drive then the jumper needed to be set to &#39;single&#39; as in the only drive.

Could you post the actual model number of the drive?

adamp2p
03-31-2004, 04:13 AM
The optical drive is detected, the drive is a 60 GB 2 mb cache model, I cant get the # right now because I am still testing..

any suggestions?

thsx

tesco
03-31-2004, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by adamp2p@30 March 2004 - 23:13
The optical drive is detected, the drive is a 60 GB 2 mb cache model, I cant get the # right now because I am still testing..

any suggestions?

thsx
Did the drive come with a manual&#092;instruction sheet? It should tell you the different jumper settings to use. Find the one for a single device, i forgot about that with some drives...

adamp2p
03-31-2004, 04:41 AM
Okay, it sees it now, but now won&#39;t boot from disk,

HOW DO YOU CLEAR THE CMOS?

adamp2p
03-31-2004, 05:05 AM
What is the problem? How can I get this thing to boot from the CD? I have it set to boot from CD rom, it is recognized. The hard drive is recognized too.

:(

Colly
03-31-2004, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by adamp2p@30 March 2004 - 21:05
What is the problem?&nbsp; How can I get this thing to boot from the CD? I have it set to boot from CD rom, it is recognized. The hard drive is recognized too.

:(
It&#39;s a Dell (if your siggy is true) - call Dell support. All the friends I know with Dell&#39;s always get useful help from their tech support. Did you set the boot SEQUENCE so the FIRST boot drive is the ATAPI-CDROM and the SECOND bood drive is the hard disk? If it sees both, but see the HD first, that&#39;s where it&#39;s gonna boot from.

On second thought and after reading all the other posts, since it sounds like you took it all a part and are trying to put it all back together again, you&#39;d probably just better take it to a Dell center and let them reassemble it. beeps during the POST test (Power On Sequence Tests) are NOT a good sign and you can fry your MOBO and other stuff handling it too much (especially when you start dripping sweat & tears into the works and chain smoking cigs around it to relieve the stress.)

Good luck&#33; I&#39;ve been there myself, but simply went to bed and tried the next day. Two days later, I got everything working again, but I was messing with a two very old PC&#39;s putting pieces together from both to create a new PC from the cannibalized parts. If I&#39;d screwed up, there was nothing lost anyway since they were both junkers. Still - I feel your pain.

adamp2p
03-31-2004, 05:27 AM
Nope, this is not a dell, is is another system that I am putting together for my mechanic...and it is giving me a bad taste in my mouth and a generally bad impression of Asus, AMD, and their associated hardware.

Chewie
03-31-2004, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by adamp2p@31 March 2004 - 05:27
Nope, this is not a dell, is is another system that I am putting together for my mechanic...and it is giving me a bad taste in my mouth and a generally bad impression of Asus, AMD, and their associated hardware.
Why should you get a bad taste from these companies? You started this thread by saying you don&#39;t know where to put the case connectors so it&#39;s obvious you&#39;re not proficient with hardware, so don&#39;t immediately leap to a &#39;faulty shit hardware&#39; conclusion.

Do you have a manual for the Asus? If not, download it. Read it. Check everything.

Mr. Elmo
03-31-2004, 06:44 AM
are the ram plug in?

edit: whoops nm , u got rid of the beeping

heh, kinda a silly question, but did u save the setting b4 exiting ? oh, and btw, are u using the boot disc dell gave u?

Lamsey
03-31-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by adamp2p@31 March 2004 - 04:27
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Virtualbody1234
03-31-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by adamp2p@30 March 2004 - 22:41

So... It sees the hard disk now?

How did you solve that problem?

clocker
03-31-2004, 01:12 PM
Adam,

It&#39;s hard to tell what issues you are dealing with now.
Has your POST beeping problem been resolved?
With my ASUS, multiple beeps at POST is an indication of improperly installed/faulty memory.
If that problem has been resolved and your HDD is now being recognized, you should be able to boot from a CD if you have a good version of Windows to work with. Your Dell recovery disc will not work ( don&#39;t mean to be insulting...you might already know this).
A check in BIOS should clear up the question of whether you are facing a hardware problem or not.
If it&#39;s not hardware related, then you must have a problem with the CD you are trying to use to install Windows.

As frustrating as these problems can be you will almost certainly be able to resolve them...remember, you are smarter than your PC.
Probably.

kaiweiler
03-31-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by adamp2p@31 March 2004 - 01:27
Both Asus and AMD are highly recognized manufaturers and are both well respected for making very good products, trust me, it is not Asus nor AMD that is your problem here.... <_<

adamp2p
03-31-2004, 09:44 PM
Okay. Everything is up and running now. It was just a matter of, as usual, tinkering.

I think most of us on this board are now experts at that, and no matter what the problem it can be solved by tinkering. I am still testing right now, I will give an update later.

:)

Mad Cat
03-31-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by adamp2p@31 March 2004 - 05:27
I&#39;m not trying to be offensive here, but I myself and many people from this forum have put together fully working, and damn well performing (if I may say) PCs using AMD and Asus products.

You can&#39;t blame a chef for not making the right meal when you didn&#39;t tell him what meal to make in the first place.
(My crap version of some guy&#39;s saying).

Virtualbody1234
03-31-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234+31 March 2004 - 06:46--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Virtualbody1234 &#064; 31 March 2004 - 06:46)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-adamp2p@30 March 2004 - 22:41

So... It sees the hard disk now?

How did you solve that problem? [/b][/quote]

Okay. Everything is up and running now. It was just a matter of, as usual, tinkering.

I think most of us on this board are now experts at that, and no matter what the problem it can be solved by tinkering. I am still testing right now, I will give an update later.
That doesn&#39;t answer the question.

Maybe I need to pin this topic until you answer.

This board is about providing information to help many people. If you don&#39;t post what you did to solve a problem then it&#39;s not helping anyone else reading this.

clocker
03-31-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@31 March 2004 - 14:02
If you don&#39;t post what you did to solve a problem then it&#39;s not helping anyone else reading this.
Oh please VB, we are mostly beyond help anyway.

My most successful method of solving problems is usually to hit many buttons randomly until something different happens.
Eventually, much like the roomful of monkeys with typewriters, something good will occur.

Occasionally I resort to The Hammer.
Not terribly effective, but immensely satisfying ( at least temporarily).

Chewie
03-31-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by clocker+31 March 2004 - 22:18--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 31 March 2004 - 22:18)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Virtualbody1234@31 March 2004 - 14:02
If you don&#39;t post what you did to solve a problem then it&#39;s not helping anyone else reading this.
Oh please VB, we are mostly beyond help anyway.

My most successful method of solving problems is usually to hit many buttons randomly until something different happens.
Eventually, much like the roomful of monkeys with typewriters, something good will occur.

Occasionally I resort to The Hammer.
Not terribly effective, but immensely satisfying ( at least temporarily). [/b][/quote]
Ah, the old &#39;percussive maintenance&#39; route.
Very popular, that. :)

adamp2p
03-31-2004, 10:40 PM
Give me a break, please, I am still dealing with returning an item to newegg, testing the system before delivering it, eating lunch, etc...talking with mechanic etc. :)

But I fixed the HDD issue by loosening some screws on the mobo; it appears they were on too tight.

adamp2p
03-31-2004, 11:46 PM
I must say that after all is done, I am very satisfied with the system "as is," I even installed a few games on the machine and the Omega soft mod 9500->9700 mod and play NFSU. No, it&#39;s not a 9700 Pro, but it is an excellent machine for what I intend it to do.

For a while the system would not detect the hard drive. So I unscrewed a couple of the mobo screws and then everything worked fine, except the system would not load the OS correctly...it would suddenly say "Windows is detecting your hardware" and then the screen would go black and the CD drive would stop turning. So I kept tinkering and found that if the hard drive was NOT in "master configuration," everything loaded okay. It had to be in "Cable Select" jumper position. Oh well...yes, the trials and tribulations of learning new hardware is oh so wonderful... :)

Oh and I have a question for you overclockers, what settings should I change to overclock to 2.2 GHz (FSB 200 MHz)? What are good vcore settings, etc?

Thanks&#33;

kaiweiler
03-31-2004, 11:51 PM
I overclocked passed 2.2 now, with default voltage...
but most up it a tiny bit, not a whole lot....mostly just trial and error
did you try doing it on default voltage? becuase sometimes you don&#39;t need to up it

adamp2p
04-01-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by kaiweiler@31 March 2004 - 15:51
I overclocked passed 2.2 now, with default voltage...
but most up it a tiny bit, not a whole lot....mostly just trial and error
did you try doing it on default voltage? becuase sometimes you don&#39;t need to up it
Yes, I did try it at those settings, and I quickly got a blue screen&#33; 2.19 GHz and a minute into NFSU.

lynx
04-01-2004, 09:26 AM
I&#39;m currently running with Vcore at 1.75v, but don&#39;t go straight to that sort of setting with your pc overclocked.

Go back to standard clock speeds and raise Vcore by 0.025v then run at full power (FOLDING?) while you check your temps. If your temps are OK then raise FSB and check your temps again.

If it still isn&#39;t stable, repeat the above. Hopefully you will achieve stability before your temps get too high. It won&#39;t always work straight away though, I had to run mine at 2.0GHz (182MHzx11) for about 2 weeks while everything settled in. During that time the temps dropped by about 5C so I then felt confident enough to try again.

One more thing - put memory on the loosest settings while you do this. If you&#39;ve got memory problems at the same time as processor instability you won&#39;t find a solution. You can always tighten up your memory settings later.