PDA

View Full Version : Ram Problem Maybe.....

Peerzy
03-31-2004, 05:02 PM
Hi,

:beerchug:

For about the last 2 weeks iv been able to finnaly download from Suprnova (i had router troubles before) but all the new games i get are split with .rar Now theres fair enough no problems there, they download fast no poblems there. The problem starts when i try to extract them. Useing WinRAR it gives off a different RAR being faulty or messed up each time. QuickSFV shows different RAR's being messed up as well sometimes.

The error it gives out is CRC (or something along those slines) Error. You know the ones you use to get with K Lite.
It seems that whenever i try to extract sometime thats RAR'd i different part comes up messed up or damaged.

Now im thinking its a RAM problem.

This is my RAM setup: 2 Sticks
0 free slots
both sticks 256mb
one stick Samsung PC2100
one stick Nanya PC2700
DDR Ram
My other Specs are: Amd Duron Xp1600
512mb Ram (See Above)
Geforce 4 MX440 128mb Version
1 Fan, 1 CPu cooler
2 hard drives, one 20Gb one 15gb, both 5400RPM speed
Brand New Aopen Mobo SKT A
400Watt PSU
I think that about covers it, Oh yeah, and sometimes games just seem to close for no reason, Ut2004 demo and Ut2003 give a genral fault error, if i get oe again i will copy the text into here. But its not a built in MS error message its one that is built in for the UT franchise.

Any help would be great :)

and BTW i was really board so i made this colourful :rolleyes: arn't i nice person :)

atiVidia
03-31-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by peerzyboy@31 March 2004 - 12:02
Hi,

:beerchug:

For about the last 2 weeks iv been able to finnaly download from Suprnova (i had router troubles before) but all the new games i get are split with .rar Now theres fair enough no problems there, they download fast no poblems there. The problem starts when i try to extract them. Useing WinRAR it gives off a different RAR being faulty or messed up each time. QuickSFV shows different RAR's being messed up as well sometimes.

The error it gives out is CRC (or something along those slines) Error. You know the ones you use to get with K Lite.
It seems that whenever i try to extract sometime thats RAR'd i different part comes up messed up or damaged.

Now im thinking its a RAM problem.

This is my RAM setup: 2 Sticks
0 free slots
both sticks 256mb
one stick Samsung PC2100
one stick Nanya PC2700
DDR Ram
My other Specs are: Amd Duron Xp1600
512mb Ram (See Above)
Geforce 4 MX440 128mb Version
1 Fan, 1 CPu cooler
2 hard drives, one 20Gb one 15gb, both 5400RPM speed
Brand New Aopen Mobo SKT A
400Watt PSU
I think that about covers it, Oh yeah, and sometimes games just seem to close for no reason, Ut2004 demo and Ut2003 give a genral fault error, if i get oe again i will copy the text into here. But its not a built in MS error message its one that is built in for the UT franchise.

Any help would be great :)

and BTW i was really board so i made this colourful :rolleyes: arn't i nice person :)
first, post this in the appropriate section before you jump to conclusions... but while ur here, ill try to help:
one stick Samsung PC2100
one stick Nanya PC2700

my experience with RAM is not the best but im thinking that having diff. freq. ram in the same system could be a bad thing... but i dunno...

usually, corny ram issues are designated with a mis-addressed windows error: x app faulted when trying to access x mem address: the mem could not be ("written"/"read")

or ur comp will crash

search the net for non-windows based ram checkers(i mean boot-disk based). disable quick-POSTing in the BIOS (gives it a full 3 mins to check the ram). run folding@home overnight for 5 days and see if anything fucks up...

Peerzy
03-31-2004, 06:02 PM
I can't run Folding@home, my pc bombs out and just turns off after doing to much full work (its a CPU problem i think, but i really can't be arsed to fix that right now.

post this in the appropriate section before you jump to conclusions

what do you mean? Its hardware?

usually, corny ram issues are designated with a mis-addressed windows error: x app faulted when trying to access x mem address: the mem could not be ("written"/"read")

I dont get none of that shit at all.

or ur comp will crash

yes...but i know not ram related its a CPU problems and my new mobo.

Thnx for teh quick reply

atiVidia
03-31-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by peerzyboy+31 March 2004 - 13:02--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (peerzyboy &#064; 31 March 2004 - 13:02)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> I can&#39;t run Folding@home, my pc bombs out and just turns off after doing to much full work (its a CPU problem i think, but i really can&#39;t be arsed to fix that right now.[/b]look if ur comp cant do f@h then theres an issue cuz it should work with ur specs its prolly the ram then :lol:.

Originally posted by peerzyboy@31 March 2004 - 13:02

what do you mean? Its hardware?no the original issue is prolly software or relatred to p2p

I dont get none of that shit at all.its an error message that windows loads when an app fails to read/write to the ram

<!--QuoteBegin-peerzyboy@31 March 2004 - 13:02
Thnx for teh quick reply[/quote]
ur welcome

Mad Cat
03-31-2004, 06:09 PM
http://www.memtest86.com/

Download and run.

atiVidia
03-31-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Mad Cat@31 March 2004 - 13:09
http://www.memtest86.com/

Download and run.
good 1 madcat... i was reffering to that but didnt know the web page lol...

Mad Cat
03-31-2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by atiVidia+31 March 2004 - 18:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (atiVidia &#064; 31 March 2004 - 18:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
I can&#39;t run Folding@home, my pc bombs out and just turns off after doing to much full work (its a CPU problem i think, but i really can&#39;t be arsed to fix that right now.look if ur comp cant do f@h then theres an issue cuz it should work with ur specs its prolly the ram then :lol:.

what do you mean? Its hardware?no the original issue is prolly software or relatred to p2p

I dont get none of that shit at all.its an error message that windows loads when an app fails to read/write to the ram

Thnx for teh quick reply
ur welcome [/b][/quote]
That happens to me quite a lot actually, generally when Windows, the bastard that it is, creates "video folders" and tries to preview every half downloaded movie I click on. Needless to say it can&#39;t, since its not there yet, causing a crappy error like above.

atiVidia
03-31-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Mad Cat+31 March 2004 - 14:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mad Cat @ 31 March 2004 - 14:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by atiVidia@31 March 2004 - 18:05

I can&#39;t run Folding@home, my pc bombs out and just turns off after doing to much full work (its a CPU problem i think, but i really can&#39;t be arsed to fix that right now.look if ur comp cant do f@h then theres an issue cuz it should work with ur specs its prolly the ram then :lol:.

Thnx for teh quick reply
ur welcome
That happens to me quite a lot actually, generally when Windows, the bastard that it is, creates "video folders" and tries to preview every half downloaded movie I click on. Needless to say it can&#39;t, since its not there yet, causing a crappy error like above. [/b][/quote]
i never have that problem... actually the only time ive ever had an issue with that error was with one prog i made that read the ram and hacked flash files... lol it would write the ram, but when the flash app tried to read from it it would pop the error and after hitting ok it would BSOD

Peerzy
03-31-2004, 11:03 PM
How long should mentest86 take?

i did it for 2 hours str8 and it only did 4 out of 12 tests.

No errors in them but fooking hell... :frusty:

johnboy27
04-01-2004, 06:40 AM
It also could be your power supply.I had a bad one a couple of weeks ago and everything was fooked up.I tried to install games and it couldn&#39;t find files on the disc,also similar problems to what you are having.I swapped my old PSU back in and problem was gonzo.

lynx
04-01-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by peerzyboy@31 March 2004 - 18:02
I can&#39;t run Folding@home, my pc bombs out and just turns off after doing to much full work (its a CPU problem i think, but i really can&#39;t be arsed to fix that right now.

what do you mean? Its hardware?

I dont get none of that shit at all.

or ur comp will crash

yes...but i know not ram related its a CPU problems and my new mobo.

Thnx for teh quick reply
Have you turned auto restart off? If not you may not see BSOD errors (such as *STOP* 0x0000000A) which are indicative of memory errors. Turn it off now.
Control Panel/System/Advanced/Startup and Recovery Settings, uncheck "Automatically restart".

When you&#39;ve done that (or if it already off) you may start seeing the BSOD messages. If you don&#39;t get them, it is unlikely that you have a RAM problem.

If you know you have CPU problems, how can you possibly hope to solve any other potential problems? If you don&#39;t get the expected result, how can you deduce that the RAM is faulty when your CPU isn&#39;t correctly processing the data it gets from the RAM?

The CPU is what does all the work - sort that out first.

atiVidia
04-01-2004, 12:22 PM
ur running an athlon xp rite? mind as well move up to a 2500 barton

Peerzy
04-01-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by johnboy27@1 April 2004 - 06:40
It also could be your power supply.I had a bad one a couple of weeks ago and everything was fooked up.I tried to install games and it couldn&#39;t find files on the disc,also similar problems to what you are having.I swapped my old PSU back in and problem was gonzo.
Iv been down and back from my local pc shop over 20 times, maybe even 30 with this problem theyv&#39;e replaced the power supply and i got a new power cable its not that... :)

Have you turned auto restart off? If not you may not see BSOD errors (such as *STOP* 0x0000000A) which are indicative of memory errors. Turn it off now.
Control Panel/System/Advanced/Startup and Recovery Settings, uncheck "Automatically restart".

I sometimes even do get those problems, when it starts doing it and it won&#39;t even get into windows it displays them all this Bad_poll_cooler 0X000008 shit.

Iv turned automatic restart off now, it was on. Thanks :)

The CPU is what does all the work - sort that out first.

About four weeks ago i had a massive 5 page thread here and after that no-one could still work it out :(

ur running an athlon xp rite?

NO i am not, im running a DURON XP, one of only a few (there quite rare apparently) It runs at 1666MHz. If i do a quick search i&#39;ll hacve a look for the thread and that will give y&#39;all better info.

mind as well move up to a 2500 barton

im getting a new pc in july, im building it, 64 bit beasty. Might have seen a thread in here about 2 days ago about it :)

lynx
04-01-2004, 09:34 PM
You were going to get the latest bios.
And you never told us what the label on the chip actually said.
No-one solved your problem because you seemed to give up.

If you aren&#39;t running with the latest bios you could be getting all sorts of problems with an unsupported chip.

Of course if it is a supported chip but has been overclocked that could also be the problem but you won&#39;t know without looking at the chip label, and the bridges to see if they&#39;ve been tampered with.

If you follow up on what you were going to do originally you might get more help.

Peerzy
04-01-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by lynx@1 April 2004 - 21:34

If you aren&#39;t running with the latest bios you could be getting all sorts of problems with an unsupported chip.

Of course if it is a supported chip but has been overclocked that could also be the problem but you won&#39;t know without looking at the chip label, and the bridges to see if they&#39;ve been tampered with.

If you follow up on what you were going to do originally you might get more help.
lol yeah lynx is right id just got so pissed off and gave up. The chip hasnt been overclocked because its brand new from pc world, only brought it October last year. I didnt want to get the latest BISO because to be honest iv neva sussessfully flash a BIOS before. infact iv fucked it up 2wice and had to pay to have it fixed. any n00b guide (that sounds sad i know :( )

tesco
04-01-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by peerzyboy+1 April 2004 - 16:52--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (peerzyboy @ 1 April 2004 - 16:52)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lynx@1 April 2004 - 21:34

lol yeah lynx is right id just got so pissed off and gave up. The chip hasnt been overclocked because its brand new from pc world, only brought it October last year. I didnt want to get the latest BISO because to be honest iv neva sussessfully flash a BIOS before. infact iv fucked it up 2wice and had to pay to have it fixed. any n00b guide (that sounds sad i know :( ) [/b][/quote]
Just do it don&#39;t be a wuss. Your manufacturers website will have instructions on how to do it, just make sure you get the one for your motherboard model.

Peerzy
04-01-2004, 11:27 PM
im scared...............i need to call my mummy.....last time i got a little electric shock because i 4got to turn the power off. better call everyone i know and say bye :cry1:

tesco
04-01-2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by peerzyboy@1 April 2004 - 18:27
im scared...............i need to call my mummy.....last time i got a little electric shock because i 4got to turn the power off. better call everyone i know and say bye :cry1:
how do you get a shock from updating the BIOS? you put in a floppy disc and restart to dos then run some program, nothing electrical involved and the only thing that could get screwed up would be if the power went out or if you turned off the computer during the install of the new bios update...

Mïcrösöül°V³
04-02-2004, 12:06 AM
i get bad rar files also from suprnova. i think its just a shitty file. i also get good ones. maybe there is nothing wrong with your pc at all. :unsure:

Virtualbody1234
04-02-2004, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+1 April 2004 - 17:31--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 &#064; 1 April 2004 - 17:31)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-peerzyboy@1 April 2004 - 18:27
how do you get a shock from updating the BIOS? you put in a floppy disc and restart to dos then run some program, nothing electrical involved and the only thing that could get screwed up would be if the power went out or if you turned off the computer during the install of the new bios update...[/b][/quote]
It is recommended to clear the CMOS after a flash. So he will have the case open. :o **** Watch out for shocks&#33;&#33;&#33; **** :o

tesco
04-02-2004, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234+1 April 2004 - 19:50--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Virtualbody1234 @ 1 April 2004 - 19:50)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@1 April 2004 - 17:31
<!--QuoteBegin-peerzyboy@1 April 2004 - 18:27
how do you get a shock from updating the BIOS? you put in a floppy disc and restart to dos then run some program, nothing electrical involved and the only thing that could get screwed up would be if the power went out or if you turned off the computer during the install of the new bios update...
It is recommended to clear the CMOS after a flash. So he will have the case open. :o **** Watch out for shocks&#33;&#33;&#33; **** :o [/b][/quote]
oh, really? i always though that clearing the CMOS puts it back to the original BIOS version you had before flashing. But I don&#39;t know. Oh and cant you just go into the BIOS and go to setup defaults? thats what they always tell you to do...

lynx
04-02-2004, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+2 April 2004 - 01:31--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 2 April 2004 - 01:31)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@1 April 2004 - 19:50

It is recommended to clear the CMOS after a flash. So he will have the case open. :o **** Watch out for shocks&#33;&#33;&#33; **** :o
oh, really? i always though that clearing the CMOS puts it back to the original BIOS version you had before flashing. But I don&#39;t know. Oh and cant you just go into the BIOS and go to setup defaults? thats what they always tell you to do... [/b][/quote]
That&#39;s what you should do in theory, but sometimes the position of the data within the cmos will have been moved so what used to be enable USB may now mean use FSB 300MHz (an extreme example). That sort of change can prevent you getting into the bios to load the defaults, so then you have to clear cmos.

Chewie
04-02-2004, 06:54 AM
I haven&#39;t read all the thread, but as a pointer, make sure you turn off BIOS shadowing when you flash it. Same goes for video BIOS.

Peerzy
04-02-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234+2 April 2004 - 00:50--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Virtualbody1234 &#064; 2 April 2004 - 00:50)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
It is recommended to clear the CMOS after a flash. So he will have the case open. :o **** Watch out for shocks&#33;&#33;&#33; **** :o [/b][/quote]
now im even more scared.... :cry1:

no i was adding fans and forgot the take out the power lead and when i touched the mobo it gave that bad kinda shock for something metal. a static shok i think its called. :( :cry1: :cry1: :cry1: pussy <_< hey u aim not a pussy :angry: o yes u r :lol: no im not :cry1

:blink:

Virtualbody1234
04-02-2004, 09:10 PM
i touched the mobo it gave that bad kinda shock for something metal. a static shok i think its called.
Static is enough to destroy your equipment. Ground yourself before touching any computer parts.

Mïcrösöül°V³
04-02-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@2 April 2004 - 15:10

i touched the mobo it gave that bad kinda shock for something metal. a static shok i think its called.
Static is enough to destroy your equipment. Ground yourself before touching any computer parts.
yea, ground yourself to your room, with no TV or computer for 3 days before touching it.................dont cheat.........the puter knows :ph34r: :huh:

tesco
04-02-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Mïcrösöül°V³+2 April 2004 - 17:13--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mïcrösöül°V³ @ 2 April 2004 - 17:13)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Virtualbody1234@2 April 2004 - 15:10

yea, ground yourself to your room, with no TV or computer for 3 days before touching it.................dont cheat.........the puter knows :ph34r: :huh: [/b][/quote]
:lol:

Peerzy
04-03-2004, 01:55 PM
okay so i download the thing put onto floppy put into pc restart and it will do it, no data lost nothong else changed?

Peerzy
04-03-2004, 03:02 PM
Please Go Here (http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=102806&st=45&#entry958588)

PS VB1234 can you close this thread and everyone rely in the above thread. :)

Virtualbody1234
04-03-2004, 09:10 PM
Closed as requested.