PDA

View Full Version : Gigabyte 3d Cooler Pro

scottwile
03-31-2004, 09:15 PM
hey, i just got this HEATSINK (http://www.giga-byte.com/Peripherals/Products/Products_GH-PCU21-VG(3D%20Cooler-Pro).htm#) along with kaiweiler.. i have it all installed with AS5 and it works great with one problem the fan spped controller deosn't seem to work.. kaiweilers works fine and we installed mine the same way.. anyideas on that the problem could be?

tesco
03-31-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by scottwile@31 March 2004 - 16:15
hey, i just got this HEATSINK (http://www.giga-byte.com/Peripherals/Products/Products_GH-PCU21-VG(3D%20Cooler-Pro).htm#) along with kaiweiler.. i have it all installed with AS5 and it works great with one problem the fan spped controller deosn't seem to work.. kaiweilers works fine and we installed mine the same way.. anyideas on that the problem could be?
What does it do or not do? If you plug it in will your fan stop spinning? Does turning the dial have no effect on the speed?

scottwile
03-31-2004, 11:17 PM
the fan and blue led are working perfectly but the fan controller doesn't work therefore i can't change the speed and that was main the reason i got it.. any ideas?

tesco
03-31-2004, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by scottwile@31 March 2004 - 18:17
the fan and blue led are working perfectly but the fan controller doesn't work therefore i can't change the speed and that was main the reason i got it.. any ideas?
If you're absolutely certain that it is plugged in right then try banging it on a table or floor and if it still doesn't work then exchange it for a working one.

scottwile
03-31-2004, 11:23 PM
alright, i know its plugged in right for sure.. should i call up gigabyte? i got it off vibecomputers.ca and it don't really want to send the whole thing back. :angry: :angry: :angry:

GrubMe
04-01-2004, 12:50 AM
It can be deffective...

tesco
04-01-2004, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by scottwile@31 March 2004 - 18:23
alright, i know its plugged in right for sure.. should i call up gigabyte? i got it off vibecomputers.ca and it don't really want to send the whole thing back. :angry: :angry: :angry:
yeah sorry man its probably defective.

GrubMe
04-01-2004, 03:39 AM
Yeah...
I hate deffective computer parts, pisses me off.

tesco
04-01-2004, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by GrubMe@31 March 2004 - 22:39
Yeah...
I hate deffective computer parts, pisses me off.
especially if you have to pay shipping to return them :angry: fortunately I havent bought online yet so ive never experienced RMAing.

johnboy27
04-01-2004, 06:30 AM
Is there a jumper that you have to put on it so that the controller works.I have a Thermaltake Volcano 9 and it has a fan controller but you have to either add the jumper or take it off in order for it to work.If you don't take it off(Ithink) then the fan will run full speed.Take a look at around where the wiring runs into the fan and look for a plastic jumper on two pins.

By the way,how much did you pay for it? I wouldn't mind picking one up,and how long did it take you to get it?

kaiweiler
04-01-2004, 03:39 PM
There are no places for jumpers or anything, i ordered the same one at the same time, and mine works fine
but yeah, they cool decent, and surprisingly can cool on low rpm, only changes abou 3-4 degrees to high rpm, it is quite loud on highest rpm though (4000rpm)
we got it at VibeComputers (http://www.vibecomputers.com)
Here (http://www.vibecomputers.com/index.cfm?loc=iview&if=n&vID=191687) it is, it got one bad review, but according to clocker it is most likly because he did not have sufficient airflow elsewhere throughout his case. everywhere else it has gotten really good reviews

clocker
04-01-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by kaiweiler@1 April 2004 - 07:39
it got one bad review, but according to clocker it is most likly because he did not have sufficient airflow elsewhere throughout his case. everywhere else it has gotten really good reviews
Just to clarify a bit...I have no direct experience with this HS, nor am I familiar with the specifics of the user's case/installation.

However....
A fact that is (seemingly) overlooked quite frequently is that no heatsink, regardless of it's inherent goodness, can be effective in a poorly ventilated case.
Furthermore, the cooling configuration that is effective for one HSF may be unsuitable for another...especially if the architecture is radically different, as would be the case here.

The current heatsink of choice on the OC Forum is the Thermalright SP series.
Any question about "the best HSF for my setup" automatically receives a "Thermalright is the best" response.
This is despite the fact that most of the users there are reporting temps in excess of the results I have achieved with my Zalman HS. I can't seem to get my point across ( and have basically given up trying) that almost any HS can be made to work well if the time is taken to find the appropriate setup to exploit it's good qualities.

With a few glaring exceptions, I don't think there are any really "bad" HSF units...just one's which are not supported by the proper airflow solution.

Witness BigDawg's success with the stock AMD HSF combo....

FlyingDutchman
04-01-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by clocker@1 April 2004 - 15:58
However....
A fact that is (seemingly) overlooked quite frequently is that no heatsink, regardless of it's inherent goodness, can be effective in a poorly ventilated case.
Furthermore, the cooling configuration that is effective for one HSF may be unsuitable for another...especially if the architecture is radically different, as would be the case here.
This is despite the fact that most of the users there are reporting temps in excess of the results I have achieved with my Zalman HS. I can't seem to get my point across ( and have basically given up trying) that almost any HS can be made to work well if the time is taken to find the appropriate setup to exploit it's good qualities.

With a few glaring exceptions, I don't think there are any really "bad" HSF units...just one's which are not supported by the proper airflow solution.

Hear, hear !

I totally agree.

It's time we start looking at our PCs as a 'complex system'.
Any change in cooling system will have it's effects throughout the whole system.

You can't just add a fan anywhere and expect it will only do good.
Only thoughtful design will result in 'near optimum' results. :rolleyes:

clocker
04-01-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by FlyingDutchman@1 April 2004 - 09:07

Only thoughtful design will result in 'near optimum' results.
Yes.

Thoughtful design and the willingness to explore every combination of possibilities will at the very least provide enough data to plan your next step.
Subtle changes to fan speed can make a world of difference...more than may at first be obvious.
"Wham bam, thank you ma'am" installations are almost surely doomed to fail.