PDA

View Full Version : Okay, I'm Making My First Web Site

mikenmike0001
03-31-2004, 11:21 PM
anyone here have xanga? anyways, i got bored with my spring break, decided to start doing a webpage for the first time, and found that i don't really know jack about inserting this and that and formatting and customizing....i look at other people's websites, and they have all this flashy stuff....and i'm like,.....wow, how do they do that? they got liek icons poping down talking in the xp voice, the pages open up and fold when you click on them.....and all this fading.

q1)my question is, what do you basically use to edit and do stuff to the website? how do you save the changes so that the hosting place recognizes it?

i've found a lot of examples of things to do from angelfire, they gave out several codes, but i don't know how or where to paste them...

so yeah....if you want to see my shitty looking website, go to www.xanga.com/mikenmike0001/

haha...as you can see, i have work to do with it........so yeah.....help me out if you can........i just need to start where or how to start doign stuff to it.... ;)

SeK612
03-31-2004, 11:49 PM
Generally you edit a page on your computer and then upload the page to your server space.

To edit / create pages you can use a WSIWYG program (Frontpage, Dreamweaver) or something like notepad or similar hybrid (in which your main input is raw html).

Once your get your basic layout you can add fancy stuff like flash menus and the like. You don't really need to know how to write or create these (although it woudn't be a bad thing to learn) just go to a site like hotscripts.com (http://www.hotscripts.com) and use the ready made stuff.

mikenmike0001
04-01-2004, 04:36 AM
oh...so you suggest using those programs to edit? are they pretty easy to find? i have till sunday to work on this.......

hm...i wanna learn html, but from the online docs, it seems complicated and i can't memorize all that coding......it just doesn't make any sense to me....

h1
04-01-2004, 06:48 AM
Go with FrontPage, even though it's utter shit.

But the best option is to learn HTML, it's overwhelming at first, but you can have basic knowledge of the language in an hour.

delphin460
04-01-2004, 07:00 AM
go learn html in notpad , its the only way to get a good grounding, any fool can use a gui and drop and drag , but watch them flounder when it dont work right

get yourself a book on basic html codes and start from there

SeK612
04-01-2004, 11:20 AM
HTML isn&#39;t that bad. The basics are pretty easy. I struggle with tables a bit - <td> and <tr> commands. If your on a short time scale then just stick with Front Page (which is part of the office suite). Its similar in layout to other office applications and it shouldn&#39;t be too hard to knock up a simple page.

mikenmike0001
04-02-2004, 12:12 AM
oh okay, so i guess i&#39;ll learn manually and learn on some online tutorials or something...do you guys suggest any?

also, the thing that i hated about hearing about html is that you write out all that coding with hundreds of lines, and if you missed a bracket or slash or something, there&#39;s no way of having an option to detect your syntax error.....or is there?

hm...once you enter in all the ocding in notepad and save it, how do you use that to replace or place it as the site name for wherever place you registered your site to host?

slimboyfatz
04-02-2004, 05:55 PM
Had a look at the website, and it aint that bad&#33;&#33;&#33; The image is great and seems to be optimized because it loads up pretty quick (which is a good thing)..the text needs sorting out though...it conflicts too much with said image, you aint sure where the picture ends and the text starts if u understand what I mean...
Try setting the image of to the right side of the page, then you have all that other space for your text to occupy..

Like people have said try and learn at least a little HTML..it helps in the long run..and i would also go with Dreamweaver..It can look daunting at first, but it is one program thats easy to get the hang of after a few tryouts..trust me.
I started off with Dreamweaver 2...scanned over the manual, and pretty much self taught myself onto MX2004 now and aint doing too bad at all...Give it a go and good luck m8&#33;&#33;&#33; ;)

mikenmike0001
04-03-2004, 09:04 AM
alright thanks for the tip, yeah, i reloaded my images cuz they gave me a trial with extra tools, so i was able to upload the image directly from my computer so it came out clean and original size as compared to uploading from another site, i dont&#39; know why though.but yeah, um.the backgroun image, i have no control of the size so even when i simply shift it to the right, it cuts into like half of my text box, and right now, i dont&#39; know how to move things around..

hm..i&#39;ll try to find and d/l dreamweaver, i&#39;m sure it&#39;s somewhere on kazaa, i just need to find the right filesize , but anyways..hm.......i hope it has a manual or online tutorial for it, i hear you can do a lot of fancy stuff.

i wanna learn how to air spray well....that stuff can look nice for background images......

mikenmike0001
04-03-2004, 09:05 AM
oh yeah.uh....can you guys suggest any good sites that have online forums or tutorials for html and javascript?

i really need to figure out how to do that thing where people who look at your website can&#39;t use the right mouse click key.....that comes in very handy, i&#39;ve seen sites where they disable entering in keyboard typed letters as well......good for security and rip off reasons, (even though they can view the source)

h1
04-03-2004, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by mikenmike0001@3 April 2004 - 04:05
i really need to figure out how to do that thing where people who look at your website can&#39;t use the right mouse click key.....that comes in very handy, i&#39;ve seen sites where they disable entering in keyboard typed letters as well......good for security and rip off reasons, (even though they can view the source)
:lol: "Encryption" is not only impossible, but it sucks and makes your site less accessible to uses.

mikenmike0001
04-13-2004, 05:12 AM
well...what do you mean it&#39;s "impossible", how&#39;s that? plus, um....i kinda want it to be not accessible to viewers, that&#39;s the point of privacy......i just wnat them to be able to view it, without getting to "right click" "save as" or , go to view and "file source" and read it off.....i mean, there&#39;s has to be a way to do it.......isn&#39;t there like some html coding i can throw in? i&#39;m still learning the basics right now online, so i don&#39;t know how to do the stuff yet, i was hoping someone here could help...

h1
04-13-2004, 05:30 AM
:lol: Trust me. It&#39;s impossible. :P

One end of the spectrum is mildly annoying "encryption" that doesn&#39;t work. The other end is encryption that works, but will piss off users to no end and alienate half of the browsers.

IMHO, "encryption" shouldn&#39;t be used client-side at all... and even when it is it should be like this (http://www.s93622254.onlinehome.us/misc/klb-pw). :D

blunt_on_tour
04-13-2004, 10:36 PM
Do as most of the rest have said and learn a bit of html - use cheatsheets as reference guides until you&#39;ve sussed it good ;) I found the http://www.webmonkey.com site invaluable when I was trying to learn; sadly I see that&#39;s it&#39;s going to be shutting down soon because Lycos has pulled the plug :(

Anyway, take a look at this page too http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/02/32/....html?tw=design (http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/02/32/index3a.html?tw=design) it covers the mythical scenario of having to build a website from scratch in one day and spending no more than a dollar. What I suggest you do is download a couple of the templates from the sites listed on the second or third page of the article, and then experiment by opening the pages of html in Notepad and messing around changing bits, to see what happens. Use &#39;Save as&#39; to save the changed pages under a different name and then click on them in the directory to see the changes displayed in your web browser.

There are some handy resources here too http://www.w3schools.com/ you can try out changes you make in one half of the screen and see what effect it has on the other half of the screen. When you&#39;ve got what you want you just copy the code from the online page and paste it into your own page.

When you&#39;ve sussed it a bit more, you can hunt around to get scripts and stuff to add to your pages, to make them more exciting.

There are a few easy to apply effects here http://www.webdevelopersjournal.com/wacky/wacky.html that will make your pages fade and fold and all sorts of weird shit :D

Good luck :)

4th gen
04-13-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by mikenmike0001@13 April 2004 - 04:12
well...what do you mean it&#39;s "impossible", how&#39;s that? plus, um....i kinda want it to be not accessible to viewers, that&#39;s the point of privacy......i just wnat them to be able to view it, without getting to "right click" "save as" or , go to view and "file source" and read it off.....i mean, there&#39;s has to be a way to do it.......isn&#39;t there like some html coding i can throw in? i&#39;m still learning the basics right now online, so i don&#39;t know how to do the stuff yet, i was hoping someone here could help...
Attempting to stop users "stealing" your page by stopping them right clicking is just idiotic. It pisses them off and doesn&#39;t stop people stealing your source, images etc

blunt_on_tour
04-13-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by mikenmike0001@13 April 2004 - 05:12
As haxor said - no chance :lol: Doesn&#39;t matter what you do, anybody who&#39;s got half a clue can rip whatever they want. I do it all the time with &#39;protected content&#39; - there&#39;s always a way around it, and the harder you try to stop it, the more you&#39;ll piss eveybody else off that views your site. Bottom line is; if you don&#39;t want people to have it, don&#39;t put it up there ;)

To simply hide stuff from everyday visitors, don&#39;t link to the sensitive content from your main page; just save the pages in a different directory in your file manager and don&#39;t link to them. It&#39;s not bullet-proof, but it&#39;ll hide stuff from everyday guests, and you can still give the url to people you want to see it. But if anybody wants it badly enough, they&#39;ll find a way.
Just having webspiders crawling over your site might result in some of your hidden content appearing on somebody&#39;s search page when Googling, so be careful what you choose to upload; you never know where you might see it next :lol: ;)

gungrave
04-14-2004, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by blunt_on_tour+13 April 2004 - 22:53--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (blunt_on_tour @ 13 April 2004 - 22:53)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mikenmike0001@13 April 2004 - 05:12
well...what do you mean it&#39;s "impossible", how&#39;s that?&nbsp; plus, um....i kinda want it to be not accessible to viewers, that&#39;s the point of privacy......i just wnat them to be able to view it, without getting to "right click" "save as" or , go to view and "file source" and read it off.....i mean, there&#39;s has to be a way to do it.......isn&#39;t there like some html coding i can throw in? i&#39;m still learning the basics right now online, so i don&#39;t know how to do the stuff yet, i was hoping someone here could help...
As haxor said - no chance :lol: Doesn&#39;t matter what you do, anybody who&#39;s got half a clue can rip whatever they want. I do it all the time with &#39;protected content&#39; - there&#39;s always a way around it, and the harder you try to stop it, the more you&#39;ll piss eveybody else off that views your site. Bottom line is; if you don&#39;t want people to have it, don&#39;t put it up there ;)

To simply hide stuff from everyday visitors, don&#39;t link to the sensitive content from your main page; just save the pages in a different directory in your file manager and don&#39;t link to them. It&#39;s not bullet-proof, but it&#39;ll hide stuff from everyday guests, and you can still give the url to people you want to see it. But if anybody wants it badly enough, they&#39;ll find a way.
Just having webspiders crawling over your site might result in some of your hidden content appearing on somebody&#39;s search page when Googling, so be careful what you choose to upload; you never know where you might see it next :lol: ;) [/b][/quote]
:lol:

mikenmike0001
04-19-2004, 09:38 PM
oh darn it i didn&#39;t know that....ah.......so i have no protection, well.....very little....hm........i&#39;ll have to think of something

SeK612
04-19-2004, 10:06 PM
Don&#39;t bother with protection too much. As said before its a great way to annoy visitors and get the to leave (no right click scripts are a great example of this). You can get a certain level of protection but most people with a knowledge of websites can get around it pretty easily. Besides if you put the effort in to making your site good and original the any "rips" won&#39;t be as good :)