PDA

View Full Version : Networking 2 Pc's

gungrave
04-01-2004, 05:06 PM
i got a ethernet port on my mother board and so has my cousin (marius24)
i got a ethernet wire to use will we need a hub or any thing?

or could we just plug the wire to each pc?
:unsure: :)

Mad Cat
04-01-2004, 05:22 PM
You can just PC to PC with 2 PCs, Windows XP has an easy wizard for it.

gungrave
04-01-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Mad Cat@1 April 2004 - 17:22
You can just PC to PC with 2 PCs, Windows XP has an easy wizard for it.
iv done it be4 but do i need a hub or not?

Mad Cat
04-01-2004, 05:26 PM
If you want to connect more than 2 PCs, you will need a hub.

gungrave
04-01-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Mad Cat@1 April 2004 - 17:26
If you want to connect more than 2 PCs, you will need a hub.
thanks were only doin 2 pc's so wont need a hub B)

lynx
04-01-2004, 05:46 PM
You will need a cross-over cable instead of the usual straight-through one.

Hold the ends of the cables alongside each other. If the colours of the wires inside are in the same order you've got a straight-through cable. If the order is different you've probably got a cross-over cable.

tesco
04-01-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by lynx@1 April 2004 - 12:46
If the order is different you've probably got a cross-over cable.
or a really cheap and deffective wire :lol:

Amarjit
04-03-2004, 10:19 PM
There's an informative article based here:
http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/howto/st...3413918,00.html (http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/howto/story/0,24330,3413918,00.html)

Marius24
04-03-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Amarjit@3 April 2004 - 22:19
There's an informative article based here:
http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/howto/st...3413918,00.html (http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/howto/story/0,24330,3413918,00.html)

hi_what_is_up!
04-04-2004, 05:12 AM
Don't EVER!!!!!!!!!! try to do winxp and winme cuz me and my friend tryed that and I'll be damned if we ever got it to work.

SingaBoiy
04-04-2004, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by hi_what_is_up!@3 April 2004 - 20:12
Don't EVER!!!!!!!!!! try to do winxp and winme cuz me and my friend tryed that and I'll be damned if we ever got it to work.
Were you guys using a cross-over cable?

Chewie
04-04-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by hi_what_is_up!@4 April 2004 - 05:12
We've got an ME and 2 XP machines networked and sharing the internet here. The only problem I've had is the power going off and the router booting before the cablemodem.

tesco
04-04-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by hi_what_is_up!@4 April 2004 - 00:12
I tihnk you just didnt set it up right...

either you didnt use a crossover cable, or you didnt have workgroup\comp name settings correct, or you had IP\subnet addresses messed up...

aoyv73
04-04-2004, 04:13 PM
Check here

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ has a guide any way i have 2 pcs both win xp 2 cheap network cards cheap cat cable plug in and run home networking on 1 pc then repeat on the second both need A/V first 1 can be firewalled

scottwile
04-04-2004, 10:06 PM
is it possiable put cable internet on 2 computers using just 1 wire?
i have a hub and i tried to connect 2 computer to the internet and i was unsucessful, any suggestions?

Chewie
04-04-2004, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by scottwile@4 April 2004 - 22:06
i have a hub and i tried to connect 2 computer to the internet and i was unsucessful, any suggestions?
Depends on the hardware you have but you'll generally need two network cables unless your cablemodem/Set Top Box (STB) connects to a USB port.

You can connect the cablemodem/STB to one PC, then connect the two PCs together using a crossover network cable. Both computers need NICs (network cards) and if your cablemodem/STB needs to connect to a NIC then one computer will obviously need two of them. In this case, you'd set up Internet Connection Sharing on the computer connected to 'the internet'; ICS works OK but needs the computer connected to your cablemodem/STB to be switched on and logged in to Windows for the other to be able to connect to the web.
It would be set up like this:
PC1 ---> PC2 ---> internet
Your cablemodem/STB gives an ip to the NIC on PC2 that it's connected to, and PC1 is given an ip by PC2... PC1's default gateway is the ip of the NIC on PC2 that connects the two.

You could use a router... both computers connect to LAN sockets on the router with standard network cables and the router connects to 'the internet' through it's WAN socket. This uses more network cables but means only one NIC is required in each PC. The router has it's own power so the internet is available to both computers whether the other PC is running or not.
It would be set up like this:
PC1
|
router --> internet
|
PC2
The cablemodem/STB gives an ip to the router (it's WAN-side ip) and the router issues ips to the PCs. The default gateway on both PCs is the LAN-side ip that the router gives itself when it boots.

Typically, in both cases the cablemodem/STB will have to 'grant' internet access to whatever it's conneted to - PC or router. In some cases your ISP will need to know the MAC address of whatever is connected to the cablemodem/STB for the connection to work. The MAC address is a NIC's (or router WAN port) serial number.

Hubs I don't know about, since I jumped straight in with a router on our setup. As I understand it, you need a server controlling the hub and issung ips so your second computer would need the server running to connect to the internet.

tesco
04-05-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by scottwile@4 April 2004 - 17:06
you will probably need a router because most ISP's charge an extra fee for each additional IP address connecting to the internet, but if you have a router the ISP only sees one ip address and so u can get the other computer on net for free.

but i may be wrong and you could have just hooked it up wrong or not setup something right...