PDA

View Full Version : Gas (petrol) Prices

vidcc
04-02-2004, 12:48 AM
I have recieved an e.mail today from a friend living in England...just a basic letter really about life in general and one of the things in it was about petrol (gasoline) prices going up and them being at the level that sparked the blockades of the refineries.
It kind of bought home something to me as i watch the news here and see the complaints about our gas prices being at an all time high..the national average is $1.74 per gallon....that's about 90 pence in English.....in the uk it's nearly $7 per gallon :blink: and heres the really funny part... something in the region of 80% of the uk price is tax...wait for it...then they pay 17.5% purchase tax on the tax :o
Sometimes i feel warm all over that the grass isn't alway greener on the other side of the fence :lol: (mind you where i live it always is as we only get about 1 inch of rain a year :huh: )

RGX
04-02-2004, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by vidcc@2 April 2004 - 00:48
I have recieved an e.mail today from a friend living in England...just a basic letter really about life in general and one of the things in it was about petrol (gasoline) prices going up and them being at the level that sparked the blockades of the refineries.
It kind of bought home something to me as i watch the news here and see the complaints about our gas prices being at an all time high..the national average is $1.74 per gallon....that's about 90 pence in English.....in the uk it's nearly $7 per gallon :blink: and heres the really funny part... something in the region of 80% of the uk price is tax...wait for it...then they pay 17.5% purchase tax on the tax :o
Sometimes i feel warm all over that the grass isn't alway greener on the other side of the fence :lol: (mind you where i live it always is as we only get about 1 inch of rain a year :huh: )
Yeah and dont we know it, theres a saying round here for things like that...."rip-off-britain".

I hate this country :(.

Livy
04-02-2004, 01:12 AM
yeah, at the moment im paying about 76.9p a litre for diesel here in bonnie scotland. <_<

J'Pol
04-02-2004, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by vidcc@2 April 2004 - 01:48
It kind of bought home something to me as i watch the news here and see the complaints about our gas prices being at an all time high..the national average is &#036;1.74 per gallon....that&#39;s about 90 pence in English.....in the uk it&#39;s nearly &#036;7 per gallon :blink: and heres the really funny part... something in the region of 80% of the uk price is tax...wait for it...then they pay 17.5% purchase tax on the tax :o
Sometimes i feel warm all over that the grass isn&#39;t alway greener on the other side of the fence :lol: (mind you where i live it always is as we only get about 1 inch of rain a year :huh: )
If you think cheap petrol is recompense for living in a land of Philistines then good luck to you mate.

vidcc
04-02-2004, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@1 April 2004 - 17:14
If you think cheap petrol is recompense for living in a land of Philistines then good luck to you mate.

if you READ (and don&#39;t try to tell me that what i wrote wasn&#39;t what i wrote) you will note that it said it bought home about the complaints i see on the news about our high prices (when it&#39;s a lot worse elsewhere)

Just get over it......if this was ment to be a serious post i would have put it in the talk club

shn
04-02-2004, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by vidcc@1 April 2004 - 20:04

Just get over it......if this was ment to be a serious post i would have put it in the talk club
Or World News and Events. :lol: :P

vidcc
04-02-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by shn+1 April 2004 - 18:19--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shn @ 1 April 2004 - 18:19)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-vidcc@1 April 2004 - 20:04

Or World News and Events. :lol: :P [/b][/quote]
oh come now...i wouldn&#39;t want to give an excuse for posting a light hearted topic in world news to be flamed :lol: :lol:

Buffalo
04-02-2004, 04:39 PM
Go Diesel

like you say petrol has gone way over the top,
I Use old chip fat oil, filter it, then add 3ml of white spirit per 100ml of oil, Leave it for two weeks, and hey Presto.
Don&#39;t use it in new vehicals.

You can buy a new Ltr of veg oil for 49 pence or go to your lacal chip shop and have a deal. :lol:

vidcc
04-02-2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by CELEBS_ARE_US@2 April 2004 - 08:39
Go Diesel

like you say petrol has gone way over the top,
I Use old chip fat oil, filter it, then add 3ml of white spirit per 100ml of oil, Leave it for two weeks, and hey Presto.
Don&#39;t use it in new vehicals.

You can buy a new Ltr of veg oil for 49 pence or go to your lacal chip shop and have a deal. :lol:
i&#39;m sure there are a few teenagers on the board that could provide us with enough "oil" to turn that into a profitable concern....we could collect the crude off their faces while they sleep and refine it ourselves (we would need to filter out any blackheads ) ....sell at half the price of gas (petrol) or diesel and we can take over the market :lol: :lol:

NikkiD
04-02-2004, 05:19 PM
OMG that&#39;s such a rip off&#33;&#33;&#33;

Gas prices in Canada are outrageous enough. Today being Friday, the price of gas has gone up to about &#036;0.85/L (3.86L to a gallon).

So being bored, I did a little math...

1 gallon - &#036;3.28 CDN = &#036;2.50 USD = 1.36 GBP (couldn&#39;t remember the keyboard shortcut for the symbol :rolleyes: )

And I thought we were being gouged.

I heard this somewhere, and I don&#39;t know if it&#39;s true or not, so don&#39;t hold me to it - that the price of a barrel of crude oil is roughly the same now as it was 20 years ago. And yet 20 years ago, the price of gas here was ~ &#036;0.30/L (If memory serves).

Just a bit of useless trivia - I do remember the day I got my drivers license, the price of gas was &#036;0.45/L. I remember this because my first car, a 1969 Chevelle, cost me about &#036;35 to fill, and I recall thinking that independence was going to be expensive. :helpsmile:

vidcc
04-02-2004, 05:43 PM
I was living in England when i first started driving and a gallon was under a pound...i remember that because soon after it hit the pound and the shock was amazing...that was 2 1/2 decades ago mind you :blink:

BigBoo
04-02-2004, 05:50 PM
i love my 125 :D

J'Pol
04-02-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by vidcc+2 April 2004 - 03:04--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vidcc @ 2 April 2004 - 03:04)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-J&#39;Pol@1 April 2004 - 17:14

if you READ (and don&#39;t try to tell me that what i wrote wasn&#39;t what i wrote) you will note that it said it bought home about the complaints i see on the news about our high prices (when it&#39;s a lot worse elsewhere)

Just get over it......if this was ment to be a serious post i would have put it in the talk club [/b][/quote]
What on earth are you talking about, I don&#39;t even begin to understand your point. Oh and I always READ, before I reply to anything. Much as that may be something of an unpleasant experience on some occasions.

djweiser
04-02-2004, 06:54 PM
Unfourtinaly its true :ghostface:

BigBoo
04-02-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol+2 April 2004 - 18:50--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J&#39;Pol @ 2 April 2004 - 18:50)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by vidcc@2 April 2004 - 03:04
<!--QuoteBegin-J&#39;Pol@1 April 2004 - 17:14

What on earth are you talking about, I don&#39;t even begin to understand your point. Oh and I always READ, before I reply to anything. Much as that may be something of an unpleasant experience on some occasions. [/b][/quote]
is this trolling?

his point was americans should stfu camplaing when peolpe in britain have to pay 5 times as much for petol

J'Pol
04-02-2004, 07:27 PM
In actual fact the high tax on petrol in the UK is Excise Duty and the "Purchase Tax" he refers to is V.A.T. There has not been Purchase Tax in the UK since pre 1973 (as I understand it).

There are many reasons why the distinction between duties and taxes are significant. Primary amongst these is that Taxes are purely revenue raising. Excise duty however, also has a social or environmental aspect to it. The Government can therefore have higher Excise duties on Petrol, Tobacco, Alcohol etc, so as not merely to raise revenue, but also to discourage excessive use. I think it is apparent that fewer cars on the road, burning less petrol, is a good thing.

I have no particular problem with this. The money to run the health service, schools etc must come from somewhere. If it comes from a source over which I have a degree of control, so much the better. I can choose a smaller engine, or public transport, or car sharing in order to minimize my tax burden.

Those in countries which pay less in taxes or duties should also look at cost of things like health care, education etc. One hears horror stories of ill people, with no insurance and unable to pay for the health care they need. I know things are far from perfect in the UK, but we have always had a good service. I hate to think what the bills would have been for both of my parents, had we not had the National Health Service.

Enjoy your 5L Gas Guzzler and your Gas at &#036;1 a tankful, I prefer our way, Philistines.

BigBoo
04-02-2004, 07:56 PM
Those in countries which pay less in taxes or duties should also look at cost of things like health care, education etc. One hears horror stories of ill people, with no insurance and unable to pay for the health care they need. I know things are far from perfect in the UK, but we have always had a good service. I hate to think what the bills would have been for both of my parents, had we not had the National Health Service.

amen to that

butt i also sticck to the point i pointed out that americans can stfu about expensive petrol

bigboab
04-02-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@2 April 2004 - 19:27
In actual fact the high tax on petrol in the UK is Excise Duty and the "Purchase Tax" he refers to is V.A.T. There has not been Purchase Tax in the UK since pre 1973 (as I understand it).

There are many reasons why the distinction between duties and taxes are significant. Primary amongst these is that Taxes are purely revenue raising. Excise duty however, also has a social or environmental aspect to it. The Government can therefore have higher Excise duties on Petrol, Tobacco, Alcohol etc, so as not merely to raise revenue, but also to discourage excessive use. I think it is apparent that fewer cars on the road, burning less petrol, is a good thing.

I have no particular problem with this. The money to run the health service, schools etc must come from somewhere. If it comes from a source over which I have a degree of control, so much the better. I can choose a smaller engine, or public transport, or car sharing in order to minimize my tax burden.

Enjoy your 5L Gas Guzzler and your Gas at &#036;1 a tankful, I prefer our way, Philistines.
Yes I know what it was like JP. When I was at school it was a regular occurrence that youngsters died from a burst appendix. This was caused I am sad to say by parents waiting till the last minute to phone, on the assumption that it was only a stomach upset, the doctor because they had to pay for it. The lack of proper facilities also had a bearing on these dreadful deaths. :(

vidcc
04-02-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@2 April 2004 - 11:27

Jpol this is why i said before that you appear to view yourself as an authority on the "WORD" of the law.
WTF is the difference between purchase tax and value added tax? we use our purchase tax to pay towards schools and healthcare for those without insurance in our respective states...however you wish to word it, you are being taxed on the purchase.... IT&#39;S THE SAME THING. I understand what VAT is...i lived in England...my parents live there now.
As to it being "duty" and not tax because it is an enviromental thing...Hmm....what does your chancelor do with the money?...it goes to the treasury.

Now read what boo says....

vidcc
04-02-2004, 08:36 PM
for jpol again...i know off topic but hey this is the lounge :lol:

american healthcare (http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=105207)

this was a recent topic of mine relating to healthcare...you seemed intent on criticising our system (me) but you will see that i citicise it just as much. this is just one topic as i can&#39;t be bothered to troll all my post for other examples.
don&#39;t try to get a "better than you" attitude because you will see that AMERICANS see the failings of THEIR systems.
Again i will say that what boo said is correct...the post is about telling MY country to stfu about petrol....but being in the lounge it is a light hearted post so i pointed out why it was more expensive.

J'Pol
04-02-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by vidcc+2 April 2004 - 21:11--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vidcc &#064; 2 April 2004 - 21:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-J&#39;Pol@2 April 2004 - 11:27

Jpol this is why i said before that you appear to view yourself as an authority on the "WORD" of the law.
WTF is the difference between purchase tax and value added tax? we use our purchase tax to pay towards schools and healthcare for those without insurance in our respective states...however you wish to word it, you are being taxed on the purchase.... IT&#39;S THE SAME THING. I understand what VAT is...i lived in England...my parents live there now.
As to it being "duty" and not tax because it is an enviromental thing...Hmm....what does your chancelor do with the money?...it goes to the treasury.

Now read what boo says.... [/b][/quote]
I actually am pretty much an expert with regard to VAT, I certainly understand it a damn site better than you do. Purchase Tax was abandoned 30 years ago in the UK and it has absolutely nothing to do with the Government of the UK raising revenue.

It was you who said that there was Purchase Tax on Petrol in the UK. That is simply incorrect, this is not a matter of opinion, it is a mater of fact.

With regard to the difference between tax and duty, I have neither the time, nor the inclination to try to explain it to you. It would be a waste of my effort and your time. Given the post which opened this thread, the chances of you actually understanding are slim to none anyway.

Keep posting your drivel, tho&#39; don&#39;t be surprised when people point out that is what it is.

vidcc
04-02-2004, 09:03 PM
tell you what...in every post i make in future i will do an English translation just for you....if ever a subject comes up about chips i will put crisps in brackets..just so i don&#39;t have to read your silly pedantic corrections. Same goes with fries (chips).
If you have a problem with other countries using their equivelent words for the same thing then i suggest you only read posts from people in scotland....
All that aside it is my belief that you are making such a big thing about this because yet again you have misunderstood the original post...i&#39;m sure you will refute this but i am not the only one to point this out.
please don&#39;t bother replying to this or i shall be forced to use more Americanisms

now have a nice day

J'Pol
04-02-2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by vidcc@2 April 2004 - 22:03
tell you what...in every post i make in future i will do an English translation just for you....if ever a subject comes up about chips i will put crisps in brackets..just so i don&#39;t have to read your silly pedantic corrections. Same goes with fries (chips).
If you have a problem with other countries using their equivelent words for the same thing then i suggest you only read posts from people in scotland....
All that aside it is my belief that you are making such a big thing about this because yet again you have misunderstood the original post...i&#39;m sure you will refute this but i am not the only one to point this out.
please don&#39;t bother replying to this or i shall be forced to use more Americanisms

now have a nice day
If you wanted me to be really pedantic, I would point things out to you like, traditionally the word Politician contains one t and one c (not Politition as you appear to think).

Or that my understanding of English is quite blatantly superior to yours. The fact that you cannot clearly express your thoughts (childish though they may be) is more your fault than mine.

Oh and if you think certain other people pointing things out supports your view, that is fine. I am happy to group you with those people. I am equally happy to be grouped with the people whose posts I have no problem in understanding.

I love it when the semi-literate get on their high horse, it is always amusing to watch their ill conceived notions, preconceptions and clichés expressed in a puerile fashion.

Take care, y&#39;all and don&#39;t get lost walking home from the day centre.

guest23422
04-02-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@2 April 2004 - 19:27

Yeah, I know that the prices rised up till 1.13 Euro for one liter Super.

shn
04-02-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@2 April 2004 - 13:27

Lighten up and take a british vacation (http://www.caymanislands.ky/services/realestate.asp) if that sort of thing gets under anybody&#39;s skin.

One of the main factors that truly sets Cayman apart from most other tourist destinations is that Cayman has no taxes: no sales tax, no income tax, no capital gains tax, no property tax and no inheritance tax.

And that flag (http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/cj.html) sure looks like a uk or british one to me.

As for the Health Care situation in the U.S. it sucks. Unless you have insurance then it&#39;s all bad for ya. No one can change my mind otherwise unless I see some serious changes in the system. An opinionated FST topic on it is not sufficent to do that.

The gas situation. I could care less how some other country has it, be it higher or lower. I live in the U.S. and I have to pay it. But then again I have to pay for a lot of things in this country that I do not like including high taxes which eventhough I don&#39;t make a million dollar a year salary where the feds take half of that, I get taxed when I go and buy I pack of bubble gum.

It&#39;s all BS. I would have spelled that out for you but then again I could have displayed a flowchart of all the numerical equations meticulously outlined for all of you to see and better to prove my point...............World News & Events style.

I have no idea what the hell I just said. But who cares right? It&#39;s only the lounge. :)

Don&#39;t understand U.S., U.K. or Korean Yen? Go here (http://www.xe.com/ucc/) and "convert." :rolleyes:

BigBoo
04-02-2004, 10:05 PM
I could care less how some other country has it

does that mean you do care, or you dont care?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

the NHS is a good thing but doesnt that get paid for by our national insurance, income tax and prescriptions?

surely not that much of our fuel priices actually goes on health and education.

maybe the government needs to rethink how to make us cuut down emssions. maybe ulra high taxes for women on engines over 1.5 litrre ;)

Rat Faced
04-03-2004, 02:00 AM
Road Tax and Petrol Tax were both 1st introduced to pay for roads....not much of it gets spent on that, and the pretence isnt even there anymore :lol:

DanB
04-03-2004, 02:03 AM
feck teh pound :rolleyes:

4th gen
04-03-2004, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@2 April 2004 - 18:27
How&#39;s your 4.6 Range Rover J&#39;Pol?

vidcc
04-03-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@2 April 2004 - 13:29
If you wanted me to be really pedantic, I would point things out to you like, traditionally the word Politician contains one t and one c (not Politition as you appear to think).

Or that my understanding of English is quite blatantly superior to yours. The fact that you cannot clearly express your thoughts (childish though they may be) is more your fault than mine.

Oh and if you think certain other people pointing things out supports your view, that is fine. I am happy to group you with those people. I am equally happy to be grouped with the people whose posts I have no problem in understanding.

I love it when the semi-literate get on their high horse, it is always amusing to watch their ill conceived notions, preconceptions and clichés expressed in a puerile fashion.

Take care, y&#39;all and don&#39;t get lost walking home from the day centre.
Hmm a superiority complex...well as someone obviously inferior in my mother tounge and not understanding some things, i am wondering how if someone understands something...yet you don&#39;t...that makes you more intelligent ? ( i am talking about the point of the post )
How is it that you are name calling, yet my posts are childish ?
How am i getting on My high horse when it&#39;s you that was blatently trying to poo poo the post which you didn&#39;t get?

how is it that Americans are philistines yet the scots are not? after all by your own admission many of your newspapers are comics..therefore read by the uncultured or are you saying that all scots are rockets scientists.
do you think that the USA is without culture or understanding of it? if you do all you are showing is ignorance of other cultures.

I have lived and worked in many countries so i have experienced cultures from around the world, both modern and classical and i have to say that none has any superiority over any others, apart from inside the heads of those with an opinion of themselves that is a lot higher than others have of them.
I would probably have more respect for your pedantic waffle if you didn&#39;t constantly try to suggest that you are right because you are better than someone else. You are not, you might think you are but it&#39;s just in your head.

Please forgive any spelling mistakes...but then the pm i sent you will explain that

bujub22
04-03-2004, 11:40 PM
can someone lend me &#036;30 dollars to fill my gas for the week tanks ;) :lol:

vidcc
04-04-2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by bujub22@3 April 2004 - 15:40
can someone lend me &#036;30 dollars to fill my gas for the week tanks ;) :lol:
only if you own your own home and use it as colateral :lol: :lol: