PDA

View Full Version : Hellboy

Manny Roscoe
04-02-2004, 04:47 AM
Theres a screening tonight....but Im going tomorrow.

I might not go, though.....since the constant TV spots everyday annoy me.....

Please, use this thread to share your thoughts and reviews on the film.

I guess this is the Offical Hellboy Thread....

vegasguy
04-02-2004, 05:11 AM
Hi,

HELL NO!

Keikan
04-02-2004, 05:24 AM
probably not

cpt_azad
04-02-2004, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by vegasguy@1 April 2004 - 21:11
Hi,

HELL NO!
lol :lol: :lol:

i aint gonna see it <_< :lol:

Manny Roscoe
04-02-2004, 05:59 AM
:mellow:

{I}{K}{E}
04-02-2004, 07:34 AM
dont think this movie is that great...

Busyman
04-02-2004, 07:39 AM
I&#39;ve said this before

X-Men
to
League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen (underated)
to
Hellboy

I&#39;m going to see it, most definitely. ;)

- Nightmare -
04-02-2004, 07:47 AM
Yup. Myself and a group of friends are going to see it this Saturday night. :D

Busyman
04-02-2004, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by &#045; Nightmare &#045;@2 April 2004 - 03:47
Yup. Myself and a group of friends are going to see it this Saturday night. :D
I&#39;m gonna see it today.

- Nightmare -
04-02-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Busyman+2 April 2004 - 02:50--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Busyman &#064; 2 April 2004 - 02:50)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-&#045; Nightmare &#045;@2 April 2004 - 03:47
Yup. Myself and a group of friends are going to see it this Saturday night.&nbsp; :D
I&#39;m gonna see it today. [/b][/quote]
Great. Be sure to enjoy it if you can. :)

Manny Roscoe
04-02-2004, 08:33 AM
I got two tickets for 7:45 tonight for me and my bitch...errr....my girl I mean.... :">

bujub22
04-02-2004, 06:04 PM
hell yah im goin to dl it ;) :lol: :lol: ...ooow go see it ooooow maybe ;)

3RA1N1AC
04-02-2004, 07:16 PM
i got the free preview disc from Best Buy a few weeks ago, and i was pretty impressed. i definitely wanna see this movie soon. seems like "paranormal investigators" (i.e. like Kolchak, X-Files, UFO/bigfoot-chasers in general) are back in fashion... with Hellboy and Van Helsing coming out this year, and the Keanu Reeves movie "Constantine" (supposed to come out in 2005?) is along the same lines.

ck-uk
04-02-2004, 07:23 PM
3RA1N1AC man :D

Busyman
04-02-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@2 April 2004 - 15:16
i got the free preview disc from Best Buy a few weeks ago, and i was pretty impressed. i definitely wanna see this movie soon. seems like "paranormal investigators" (i.e. like Kolchak, X-Files, UFO/bigfoot-chasers in general) are back in fashion... with Hellboy and Van Helsing coming out this year, and the Keanu Reeves movie "Constantine" (supposed to come out in 2005?) is along the same lines.
The movie seems like a mix of X-Files meets X-Men.

On a different note I always wondered why they changed the name to Constantine from the original comic book Hellblazer....and why the hell did they pick Keanu "no facial expressions" Reeves to play John Constantine?

3RA1N1AC
04-02-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Busyman@2 April 2004 - 11:52
On a different note I always wondered why they changed the name to Constantine from the original comic book Hellblazer....and why the hell did they pick Keanu "no facial expressions" Reeves to play John Constantine?
maybe to avoid confusion with the Hellraiser series. and rumors say the studio wants a PG-13 rating, so they prolly don&#39;t wanna market a movie to young teens with "hell" in the title. if that&#39;s true, i guess we&#39;re not going to see much blood or really wicked freaky stuff like in the comic series.

i always thought of Constantine as a middle-aged british punk rocker who also happens to be a magician/detective. a lot of people on the &#39;net say the role should&#39;ve been offered to Sting, since the character was originally patterned after him. i dunno, maybe Sting wouldn&#39;t be such a good choice at this point. but it&#39;s not exactly the kind of character that makes you think "yeah&#33; perfect part for Keanu to play." it could still be good though. it&#39;s too early to say. *shrug*

Formula1
04-02-2004, 10:34 PM
No, I&#39;ll Not See this movie, nor download it.

Formula1
04-02-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC+2 April 2004 - 20:07--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3RA1N1AC &#064; 2 April 2004 - 20:07)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Busyman@2 April 2004 - 11:52
maybe to avoid confusion with the Hellraiser series. and rumors say the studio wants a PG-13 rating, so they prolly don&#39;t wanna market a movie to young teens with "hell" in the title. if that&#39;s true, i guess we&#39;re not going to see much blood or really wicked freaky stuff like in the comic series.

i always thought of Constantine as a middle-aged british punk rocker who also happens to be a magician/detective. a lot of people on the &#39;net say the role should&#39;ve been offered to Sting, since the character was originally patterned after him. i dunno, maybe Sting wouldn&#39;t be such a good choice at this point. but it&#39;s not exactly the kind of character that makes you think "yeah&#33; perfect part for Keanu to play." it could still be good though. it&#39;s too early to say. *shrug* [/b][/quote]

Hell isnt censored here in america on national T.V. And in PG-13 movies these words are said, Hell , Shit , Bitch, Queer, Dick, etc. and some other ones , BUT FUCK DEFINETLY isnt allowed, its "R".

Birdbrain
04-03-2004, 12:52 AM
Actually, if "fuck" is said more than once, it&#39;ll be "R" It can be allowed in a PG-13 movie. For example, in the god-awful "Darkness Falls" the cop says "All this over a fucking tooth." And it sustained a PG-13 rating.

Jibbler
04-03-2004, 12:53 AM
Going to see it tonight, will report back later. :ghostface:

3RA1N1AC
04-03-2004, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by Formula1@2 April 2004 - 14:36
Hell isnt censored here in america on national T.V.&nbsp; And in PG-13 movies these words are said, Hell , Shit , Bitch, Queer, Dick, etc. and some other ones , BUT FUCK DEFINETLY isnt allowed, its "R".
i didn&#39;t mean that "hell" is going to stop them from getting a PG-13 rating. i meant that the PG-13 thing is evidence that they are aiming it toward teens, so they might not want to give it a title that parents will complain about. you never know when some nuts with too much time on their hands will suddenly decide that it&#39;s time to stage a protest against your satanic-themed children&#39;s movie.

evildon
04-03-2004, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@2 April 2004 - 19:16
got same dvd..gonna go see it Sunday

Manny Roscoe
04-03-2004, 11:26 AM
I didnt get to see it today.....my girl wanted to watch Walking Tall instead.

I&#39;ll force her to go see Hellboy tomorrow since she put me through that shit fest walkin tall......

Busyman
04-04-2004, 10:43 AM
I really didn&#39;t like it. <_<

Very disappointing.

It was not X-Files meets X-Men.

The story was rather convoluted even though I am familiar with the comic.

Wizard_Mon1
04-04-2004, 11:56 AM
I&#39;ll probably d/l it. I thought it looked quite good.

What didn&#39;t you like about it?

evildon
04-04-2004, 05:08 PM
I think it helps if u know a little about history and who Rasputin was...

Jibbler
04-04-2004, 06:00 PM
Seemed a bit slow... Hellboy&#39;s one liners weren&#39;t all that funny, though the action was good, Selma Blair was excellent... if anyone can explain the mystery of his horns to me... I&#39;d appreciate someone explaining why he files them down... and how they are related to the gateway/portal to hell... I found that part to be a bit confusing :01:

Birdbrain
04-04-2004, 07:11 PM
(**WARNING SOME SPOILERS**)

Great Scotts&#33; I saw this movie twice in a row&#33; It was so incredible&#33; Guillermo del Toro delivers one of his best directorial debuts. His work is so incredible.

Ron Perlman portrays Hellboy like none other&#33; He was awesome&#33; The make-up and the one-liners were great. He was developed quite well. Though, sometimes I couldn&#39;tunderstand some of the words because he had the cigar in his mouth.

There were some great action sequences, such as the beginning sequence. The villains weren&#39;t as developed as I would have like to have seen though. Kroenen was killed off way to fast. Hellboy should&#39;ve put up a better fight with him. I also like the creature Sammael. It was pretty cool to see it fight Big Red.

The love relation ship between Liz and HB was done well. I felt for Hellboy, as he went through all his troubles for her. I also think the relationship between Professor Bruttenholm ("Broom") and Hellboy was played out well. I felt sad when Bruttenholm died, and Hellboy held him in his arms. Great father-son relationship.

The music was beautiful&#33; I hope to get a copy of the score to the film soon. Loved it&#33; Also, the cinematography was awesome&#33; GdT made this film seem almost twice its budget. The effects were that good&#33;

Abe Sapien was well portrayed by Doug Jones. My 2nd favorite character of the film. He was awesome&#33; I love the quick head movements, which made him seem "fish-like." I feel though he didn&#39;t get enough screen time.

The ending sequence was pretty entertaining. I liked how Hellboy&#39;s Right Hand of Doom was the key to unlock the portal. The Seven Gods of Chaos was awesome too. I was a little confused about the part where Hellboy had to say his name to unlock himself from the stock. Didn&#39;t quite get that.

Well, all in all, I give this film a solid 10/10. Easily one of my favorite movies of all time. Hope a sequel gets made&#33;

Ciao&#33;

Busyman
04-04-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Jibbler@4 April 2004 - 14:00
Seemed a bit slow... Hellboy&#39;s one liners weren&#39;t all that funny, though the action was good, Selma Blair was excellent... if anyone can explain the mystery of his horns to me... I&#39;d appreciate someone explaining why he files them down... and how they are related to the gateway/portal to hell... I found that part to be a bit confusing :01:
The movie explains that he files his horns to look more human.

Who&#39;s Selma Blair? There was no woman in the movie who had outstanding performance. If she&#39;s the firestarter, she was greatly under used.

I didn&#39;t like the bullshit romance stuff in the movie. The coolest guy was the Nazi with the knives.

bujub22
04-05-2004, 06:01 PM
well bouts to watch it &#33;

be back wid my view on this movie ,my bro got a great copy of this but he bought of the street so saved me the time dl it :01: :D

bujub22
04-06-2004, 08:05 PM
watched it and thought it was a good movie&#33; kept it to the comic :01: bout time someone did&#33;...now im lookin for screen shots of the part where he woke the ol man up that was cool shot&#33; of him on top of the coffin :D

but the movie was better than most comic movies

def not a must see ,but a good movie to watch&#33;

chalice
04-06-2004, 11:18 PM
I intend to watch it. Though I&#39;m more of a fan of the art as opposed to the scripts of the comics.

I&#39;d be interested to know why Busyman thought that LOEG was under-rated earlier in the thread. I thought it was an absolute mulch of a film given the "original" subject matter they had to work from.

Rip The Jacker
04-06-2004, 11:34 PM
I went to the movies and saw it yesterday (only because it was free for me), and I didn&#39;t like it too much, but hey, thats just me. The bad guy was really cool though, the guy the professor said was "Hitler&#39;s top assassin," he was awesome and creepy.

Wizard_Mon1
04-07-2004, 12:00 AM
Well i really liked it, hellboy was cool, his (fire) girl , abe was cool, evil nazi assasin was cool, the story line was interesting with rasputin being in it.

Over all an enjoyable film and close enough to the comics too.

david622
04-07-2004, 12:51 AM
That was definately a good movie, comic movie or not. Does anyone know of a working copy I could download? I&#39;ve been looking for days and none of the ones I have tried worked.

Busyman
04-07-2004, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by chalice@6 April 2004 - 19:18
I intend to watch it. Though I&#39;m more of a fan of the art as opposed to the scripts of the comics.

I&#39;d be interested to know why Busyman thought that LOEG was under-rated earlier in the thread. I thought it was an absolute mulch of a film given the "original" subject matter they had to work from.
I don&#39;t know what mulch of a film means.

Is it bad, good, mashed to together....what? :huh:

thisiswhoweare
04-07-2004, 03:44 AM
mulch = mash or mixture of things

chalice
04-07-2004, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Busyman+7 April 2004 - 02:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Busyman @ 7 April 2004 - 02:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-chalice@6 April 2004 - 19:18

Is it bad, good, mashed to together....what? :huh: [/b][/quote]
My problem with that film is that its just another case of wasted potential.

They were given, on a plate, a rock solid set of characters, a water-tight plot and more sub-plots that you can shake a stick at. They proceeded to dilute all of the ideas into a tepid vehicle for Sean Connery.

Dorian Grey and Tom Sawyer? Where did they come from? They are completely extraneous to everything.

Wilimena Harker became a rabid vampire. In the comics she is a much more intriguing character and she doesn&#39;t have to get her fangs out once.

The Invisible Man is a right evil f**ker in the comics and the film transforms hm into some reluctant hero.

Hyde, I must admit, I was pretty impressed with. Though, they didn&#39;t have the balls to include some of the stuff he gets up to in the comics.

And It was all I could do not to switch off when that supercar appeared ffs.

I can&#39;t wait to see the mess the forthcoming Watchmen movie is going to be.

bujub22
04-07-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by chalice+7 April 2004 - 04:30--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chalice @ 7 April 2004 - 04:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Busyman@7 April 2004 - 02:59
<!--QuoteBegin-chalice@6 April 2004 - 19:18

Is it bad, good, mashed to together....what? :huh:
My problem with that film is that its just another case of wasted potential.

They were given, on a plate, a rock solid set of characters, a water-tight plot and more sub-plots that you can shake a stick at. They proceeded to dilute all of the ideas into a tepid vehicle for Sean Connery.

Dorian Grey and Tom Sawyer? Where did they come from? They are completely extraneous to everything.

Wilimena Harker became a rabid vampire. In the comics she is a much more intriguing character and she doesn&#39;t have to get her fangs out once.

The Invisible Man is a right evil f**ker in the comics and the film transforms hm into some reluctant hero.

Hyde, I must admit, I was pretty impressed with. Though, they didn&#39;t have the balls to include some of the stuff he gets up to in the comics.

And It was all I could do not to switch off when that supercar appeared ffs.

I can&#39;t wait to see the mess the forthcoming Watchmen movie is going to be. [/b][/quote]
either way&#33; LOEG and HELLBOY are both good movies&#33; ;)

3RA1N1AC
04-07-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by chalice@7 April 2004 - 00:30
you&#39;re kidding. that hasn&#39;t been cancelled yet? The Watchmen seems a little too complicated and, um, lacking actual "heroes" to be suitable for mainstream audiences. people wanna cheer for the guy with perfect teeth who gets to sleep with any supermodel he wants, not watch a movie that spends the whole time tearing up everyone&#39;s ideas of "good guys vs. bad guys." :huh:

lolz. a quote from the guy who wrote the Watchmen script: "I had to change the ending, for example. I can&#39;t get too specific here, but the ending of the book is incredibly bloody and gory, and involves thousands and thousands and thousands of dead bodies. You can&#39;t do that on screen. Nobody will give you &#036;80 million to do it. It&#39;s just too ugly." he took out the part where Ozymandias murders thousands of innocent people with those fake alien/mutant things&#33; *crosses fingers in hopes that the movie won&#39;t be crap* :lol:

chalice
04-07-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC+7 April 2004 - 15:34--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3RA1N1AC @ 7 April 2004 - 15:34)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-chalice@7 April 2004 - 00:30
you&#39;re kidding. that hasn&#39;t been cancelled yet? The Watchmen seems a little too complicated and, um, lacking actual "heroes" to be suitable for mainstream audiences. people wanna cheer for the guy with perfect teeth who gets to sleep with any supermodel he wants, not watch a movie that spends the whole time tearing up everyone&#39;s ideas of "good guys vs. bad guys." :huh: [/b][/quote]
Yeah, there was talk going around for years that Terry Gilliam was going to direct it but he finally admitted that it was impossible.

I read this on the Alan Moore fansite today...

While discussing his recent film "Hellboy", producer Llyod Levin revealed to The Chicago Sun-Times that he would be producing the Watchmen film. "We&#39;re going to do &#39;The Watchmen,&#39; stated Levin. "It&#39;s about a group of superheroes who reunite to figure out who is trying to kill them off. It&#39;s really a unique story because it deals with the spiritual aspect of being a superhero."

Busyman
04-07-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by chalice+7 April 2004 - 11:41--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chalice @ 7 April 2004 - 11:41)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@7 April 2004 - 15:34
<!--QuoteBegin-chalice@7 April 2004 - 00:30
you&#39;re kidding. that hasn&#39;t been cancelled yet? The Watchmen seems a little too complicated and, um, lacking actual "heroes" to be suitable for mainstream audiences. people wanna cheer for the guy with perfect teeth who gets to sleep with any supermodel he wants, not watch a movie that spends the whole time tearing up everyone&#39;s ideas of "good guys vs. bad guys." :huh:
Yeah, there was talk going around for years that Terry Gilliam was going to direct it but he finally admitted that it was impossible.

I read this on the Alan Moore fansite today...

While discussing his recent film "Hellboy", producer Llyod Levin revealed to The Chicago Sun-Times that he would be producing the Watchmen film. "We&#39;re going to do &#39;The Watchmen,&#39; stated Levin. "It&#39;s about a group of superheroes who reunite to figure out who is trying to kill them off. It&#39;s really a unique story because it deals with the spiritual aspect of being a superhero." [/b][/quote]
I rather see Rising Stars. It has a similiar mystery about who&#39;s killing off the heroes but is much easier to make while still being intriguing.

....and that would just be part of an overall great story&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

An easy trilogy or quadrilogy. ;)

3RA1N1AC
04-07-2004, 05:05 PM
mmm... amateur customized action figures. the height of geek-dom. :P

http://www.toymania.com/custom/Galleries/Bruce/Ror1.jpg

http://www.toymania.com/custom/Galleries/Bruce/Owl1.jpg

honestly, i don&#39;t believe a Watchmen film is necessary. yes, if there was a movie or tv series that captured every single detail of the comic onto film, it would be a great achievement. but is it necessary? nah. Watchmen&#39;s story and art were constructed with such cinematic flair, that it was like reading a movie.

Busyman
04-07-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@7 April 2004 - 13:05
mmm... amateur customized action figures.&nbsp; the height of geek-dom.&nbsp; :P

http://www.toymania.com/custom/Galleries/Bruce/Ror1.jpg

http://www.toymania.com/custom/Galleries/Bruce/Owl1.jpg

honestly, i don&#39;t believe a Watchmen film is necessary.&nbsp; yes, if there was a movie or tv series that captured every single detail of the comic onto film, it would be a great achievement.&nbsp; but is it necessary?&nbsp; nah.&nbsp; Watchmen&#39;s story and art were constructed with such cinematic flair, that it was like reading a movie.
I think all they can do with a Watchmen film is piss all the fans of the comic off. <_<

I wish I had the entire original run of the comic.

chalice
04-07-2004, 05:36 PM
There was a screenplay written for a Watchmen movie in 1989 but it was, thankfully, binned.

You can read it here. http://fourcolorheroes.home.insightbb.com/watchmenfree.html

It stinks to high heaven. Don&#39;t get me started. I could go on for weeks about how bad it is.

llamaj Mim
04-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Hellboy was awesome, i saw it at the theater. well worth the money. the actions are great (it could use a little more blood though), and hellboy :angry: is a funny dude (it was so funny when he threw the rock at myers). dont get discouraged by the shitty trailer, this is a good movie.

Manny Roscoe
04-07-2004, 09:18 PM
I still didnt see it..... :sad1: :sadwalk:

- Nightmare -
04-08-2004, 05:29 AM
I saw it this past Saturday night with a couple of buddies. I thought it was awesome. :)