PDA

View Full Version : Sacked For Smoking

vidcc
04-02-2004, 05:38 PM
story (http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-13043304,00.html)

An Irish politition has been sacked from the front bench for breaking the new no smoking laws and i have read that he now faces court action.
It is a breath of fresh air (pardon the pun) that for once a political system is not insulating its members from the laws it imposes on everyone else.
I am a non smoker and even though i don't want to ban smoking i have to say that i agree with the ban in public places. I agree that every adult has the right to smoke but with smoking it's not a personal choice in that the habit forces others to breathe in the second hand smoke. I accept that we breathe in car fumes and expect some arguements along those lines, however 2 wrongs don't make a right

chalice
04-02-2004, 05:49 PM
I'm in the North and I'll be travelling to Dublin tomorrow.

I'll be very interested to see what the pubs are like come 10 o clock. From what I've noticed (and I've seen the interior of many an Irish liquor emporium) the majority of punters seem to smoke.

In certain establishments, especially in the Temple Bar area of Dublin, you'll likely end up with a lot of disgruntled drunkards.

And there's no disgruntled drunkard like an Irish disgruntled drunkard. (Except perhaps a Scottish one.)

I'll ask the addict on the ground and report back Monday.