PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive File Transferring

Cage72
04-03-2004, 07:53 PM
I just bought a 250 gig HD and wanting to use that as the Primary C:/Boot drive to replace my current Samsung piece of crap 10 gig That I'd swapped from my old emachine system. I'm wanting to do direct transferring of programs and files and wanting to know the best way about safely doing so, without having to put everything on cdrs? Thanks in Advance

Specs:
Intel P4 D845WN Mobo
Intel P4 1.5 CPU
384 SDRAM
Windows XP Home Edition

lynx
04-03-2004, 07:59 PM
Put both drives into the machine at the same time and use Ghost to copy the entire volume.

Cage72
04-03-2004, 08:11 PM
Will Ghost weed out the old windows ME "gremlins" on that drive..or be carried over during that process, don't want those files to carry over at all.

lynx
04-03-2004, 08:26 PM
Ghost will copy everything across.

If you want to clean things up, remove your old drive and add your new drive, then install the OS.

You can then put your old drive back in as a slave and copy any data across (and any prog installers), but you will have to re-install all the programs.

If you are upgrading your OS (say to XP) use Ghost to copy the partition rather than the whole volume, this allows you to tell it what size of partition you want (I'd say about 20GB for the primary partition). Then upgrade, that should get rid of any ME gremlins anyway.