PDA

View Full Version : What Are The Odds ?

vidcc
04-05-2004, 04:30 PM
source (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/tm_objectid=14118227%26method=full%26siteid=50143%26headline=gods%2don%2dfavourite-name_page.html)

THE odds that God exists are two to one in favour, a scientist has calculated.

Devout Christian Dr Stephen Unwin worked out the figure using a 200-year-old maths equation.

It takes into account the existence of evil, suffering, miracles, supernatural events and human morality.

The Manchester-born academic - whose previous job was predicting for the US Government the odds of a nuclear accident - said: "This project was a journey home, a reconciliation of my faith and education."

But Dr Unwin, 47, of Columbus, Ohio, insisted he was 90 per cent sure God was real.

His calculations are set out in a new book, The Probability of God, out next month.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've seen too many bad things in the world, so if i was a betting man i would bet on the non existance.
I wonder if his calculations would have been the same if he wasn't a devout christian...but then he is only 90% sure, so he is still being as scientific as he can :D

Barbarossa
04-05-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by vidcc@5 April 2004 - 16:30

It takes into account the existence of evil, suffering, miracles, supernatural events and human morality.

Maybe he'd get a more realistic result if he also took into account COLD HARD FACTS!

Muppet... :ph34r:

Skweeky
04-05-2004, 04:37 PM
But those who are sure God doesn't exist always are very eager to prove that by saying there is so many evil...Maybe we just don't notice it but there are so many good things as well :)

bigboab
04-05-2004, 04:44 PM
He is 90% sure of the existence of god yet he has worked it out to be 66%. :unsure: This will give students a lot less faith, in their tutors. :lol:

bigboab
04-05-2004, 04:46 PM
Muppet... :ph34r: [/QUOTE]
Muppets are do not exist either Colin. Humans have a hand in their movements. :lol:

Skweeky
04-05-2004, 04:49 PM
This just proves that you can prove anything with statistics :D

Canti
04-05-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by bigboab@5 April 2004 - 11:46
Muppet... :ph34r:
Muppets are do not exist either Colin. Humans have a hand in their movements. :lol: [/quote]
Humans have a hand in.....
Their asses!

Dr Stephen Unwin obviously is in desperate need of facts to support his emotional crutch...

I hope that 90% is enough to justify his existence